Brendan Rogers on Summer Friendlies and Lennon for the Job - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Brendan Rogers on Summer Friendlies and Lennon for the Job

Marty

On the Friendlies, he's havering psh.  Peru and Mexico are a good six weeks before their Champions Leagues games and they are in the exact same position as any of their champions league opponents.  Most other national teams have friendlies and wtf would he have done if we had qualified for the world cup.

On Neil Lennon, I strongly agree, especially given the other contenders.  Take off any club bias and Lennon is a winner who is well placed to get the most out of a squad he knows very well.  Apart from accepting a poison chalice at Bolton (did well at first but don't think even Fergie could have halted the demise of such a badly run club) he has been a massive success as a player and manager. 

He can be a snarly git at times but that would be ok if he was our snarly git.  He also has lots of international experience, and in my mind showed some integrity and open-mindedness by playing proudly for NI despite the sectarian pressures from both sides. 

I am usually guilty of anti-old firm bias myself, but I think we need to recognise that he's a stronger candidate than anyone else who has been talked about at the minute and who might realistically want the job.

Rodgers can STFU, he is an absolute cunt who fails at the first sign of a challenge, poor at Liverpool, couldnt replace Suarez, wasted millions and eventually sacked, failed in Europe with Celtic and bitches about money issues, fails to see basic flaws in his sides.

As for Lennon, not a hope in hell he would be right for Scotland. The gnarling guinea pig would piss off the vast majority of people within a few games.

2 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Amazing that some folk keep using this example of the players playing at the world cup if we had qualified as if it is any way the same thing as them playing two friendlies that will have no benefit whatsoever 

No benefit? 😂

6 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Yes. None whatsoever. 

Feel free to explain how a Scotland B team playing in the Americas in June will be of benefit to our nations league campaign though 

The same benefit a club with a new manager gets from pre season matches.

Brendan Rodgers is in a far better position to rest his players and rotate his squad than the new Scotland manager will be.

he can easily rest some of his players and rotate his team, he’d still stroll to domestic victory. 

6 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Yes. None whatsoever. 

Feel free to explain how a Scotland B team playing in the Americas in June will be of benefit to our nations league campaign though 

Why would a new manager want to give game time to players, especially young players, before going into competitive matches indeed....

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Brendan Rodgers is in a far better position to rest his players and rotate his squad than the new Scotland manager will be.

he can easily rest some of his players and rotate his team, he’d still stroll to domestic victory. 

He played a full strength team the other night against Brechin FFS

12 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He played a full strength team the other night against Brechin FFS

Perfect opportunity to give some of  his tired stars a rest.

has anyone broken down which of these players are actually playing more than 60 games a season?

id guess Tierney and Brown will be. 

Gordon isn’t exactly running himself ragged, he’s got fuck all to do most weeks

forrest - meh, ye can give him as much rest as you want.

atmstrong - not on form nor is he playing every week

mcgregor - not sure how often he plays, I’d have thought he’d be itching to cement his place in the Scotland team .

Griiffiths - a player Scotland simply can’t afford to go with out, he isn’t playing week in week out.

conclusion, Rodgers is talking out of his anus again but the Celtic fans believe every word he spews out.

Edited by vanderark14

48 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Perfect opportunity to give some of  his tired stars a rest.

has anyone broken down which of these players are actually playing more than 60 games a season?

id guess Tierney and Brown will be. 

Gordon isn’t exactly running himself ragged, he’s got fuck all to do most weeks

forrest - meh, ye can give him as much rest as you want.

atmstrong - not on form nor is he playing every week

mcgregor - not sure how often he plays, I’d have thought he’d be itching to cement his place in the Scotland team .

Griiffiths - a player Scotland simply can’t afford to go with out, he isn’t playing week in week out.

conclusion, Rodgers is talking out of his anus again but the Celtic fans believe every word he spews out.

He talks close to but not quite as much shite as he did as Liverpool boss but with the fall back of guaranteed success due to the financial gulf.

The same financial gulf he experiences in Europe and complains about before each match. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The same benefit a club with a new manager gets from pre season matches.

A club manager will be able to play his preferred 11 in matches like that, the Scotland manager (whoever that may be) won't have that option.

These games are a complete waste of time for everyone expect the fans going for a new pin badge. You can dress it up whatever way you like but that's reality. I hope the reports of the players planning to boycott it are true. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Why would a new manager want to give game time to players, especially young players, before going into competitive matches indeed....

We don't even have a new manager yet so nobody knows if he'd even think a trip like that is worthwhile ffs

The new guy might see it for what it is, a load of pish, but he's been handed it without any consultation first 

27 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

A club manager will be able to play his preferred 11 in matches like that, the Scotland manager (whoever that may be) won't have that option.

These games are a complete waste of time for everyone expect the fans going for a new pin badge. You can dress it up whatever way you like but that's reality. I hope the reports of the players planning to boycott it are true. 

🤦🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

boycotting matches because they have to travel like the rest of europes footballers do.

what a stupid idea, not surprised you support it.

13 hours ago, kumnio said:

Rodgers can STFU, he is an absolute cunt who fails at the first sign of a challenge, poor at Liverpool, couldnt replace Suarez, wasted millions and eventually sacked, failed in Europe with Celtic and bitches about money issues, fails to see basic flaws in his sides.

As for Lennon, not a hope in hell he would be right for Scotland. The gnarling guinea pig would piss off the vast majority of people within a few games.

hours

2 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Out of interest how many Celtic players are off to the WC ?

Assuming they'll be playing warm up games also is there any objection to them playing through the summer  ?

Don't think there would be any objection at all. After all it is the pinnacle of any professional footballer to play at a World Cup finals

19 hours ago, Marty said:

On the Friendlies, he's havering psh.  Peru and Mexico are a good six weeks before their Champions Leagues games and they are in the exact same position as any of their champions league opponents.  Most other national teams have friendlies and wtf would he have done if we had qualified for the world cup.

On Neil Lennon, I strongly agree, especially given the other contenders.  Take off any club bias and Lennon is a winner who is well placed to get the most out of a squad he knows very well.  Apart from accepting a poison chalice at Bolton (did well at first but don't think even Fergie could have halted the demise of such a badly run club) he has been a massive success as a player and manager. 

He can be a snarly git at times but that would be ok if he was our snarly git.  He also has lots of international experience, and in my mind showed some integrity and open-mindedness by playing proudly for NI despite the sectarian pressures from both sides. 

I am usually guilty of anti-old firm bias myself, but I think we need to recognise that he's a stronger candidate than anyone else who has been talked about at the minute and who might realistically want the job.

Lennon would be at war with half the squad, as Burley was, and be a disaster

16 hours ago, kumnio said:

Rodgers can STFU, he is an absolute cunt who fails at the first sign of a challenge, poor at Liverpool, couldnt replace Suarez, wasted millions and eventually sacked, failed in Europe with Celtic and bitches about money issues, fails to see basic flaws in his sides..

slightly harsh

8 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

What a tool