Lets Get A Grip - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lets Get A Grip

Doric

It is absolutely ridiculous to think that Scotland is better off within this damned union in any way shape of form. Westminster have, even since thursday, given us comprehensive list of reasons why, stupidity and ignorance is no excuse.

I hope any No voter singing FoS chokes on every fkin word.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think any attempt turn the Scotland support into some pro yes mouthpiece will be a bad one. I don't detect any desire for it. Most fans want to support their team.

When I next go to a game, and I'm reconsidering not going to the Georgia game, I'll be wearing my yes t-shirt and waving my yes flag.

The overwhelming majority of the tartan army support independence, you might not like it but it's true. A Scotland international game is one of the best places to show the world our support for independence.

This is actually becoming comical.

Here's a situation for the non FOS singers.

We qualify for France and WGS asks us to all get behind the team and welly oot the anthem.

Still no gonna sing ? I'd be bitterly disappointed if I had any kind of voice at full time.

Come then another referendum will have been announced so it will be all stations go!

I don't agree with politics being brought into football tbh. I was a yes voter but I didn't like the fact there was loads of yes flags and badges when I was down in London and recently at the game in Dortmund. I would discourage anyone bringing that stuff to the game it only politicises a game of football and breeds division in our own support which we don't need. It's a football game not a political rally, people should go to enjoy themselves and support a team, not to make political statements or campaign or publicise a political point of view. I hate the "I am more Scottish than you attitude" thats kicking around. I also felt bad for a couple of footsoilders with us in Germany who were voting no for their own reasons after speaking to them, but surrounded with political banners and flags everywhere and felt a bit intimidated, It was all very cringy.

In terms on the national anthem I won't be singing it, I can't sing "we can still rise now and be a nation again" line now, it just feels wrong. TBH it's time for a change, a national anthem is suppose to be a song all the people in a country can get behind. The song itself now highlights division in the country.

Time to learn the words to another tune

Edited by fifes elite

My disappointment at the vote doesn't translate to wishing to alienate a whole section of the support for having different politics. While the TAMB are mainly yes, that doesn't necessarily translate to the punters at Hampden.

To me FoS is still my song but now it's a song of remorse like "Bonnie Charlie". I don't think there'll be another vote in my many a year. We might as well just make the most of it and now is the time for Scotland to be united.

The Tartan Army's always had a political element to it. It's been more visible at some times than others (like now) but it's always been there.

There was a time when the team and its support were about the only large scale manifestation of Scottish autonomy. I think there's a decent argument to say without it we may never had got a devolved parliament at all....

Sadly yes, which is a shame tbh.

Having seperate teams for football and rugby from England etc does give people who regard themselves as Scottish a platform to follow Scotland. It was one of many hundreds of factors different people voted for a Scottish parliament and I don't think anyone can claim there would have been no Scottish parliament if the tartan army wern't there. Theres millions in this country who don't even like football and have no idea what the tartan army get up to. I don't think Scotland supporters actively politicising Scotland games actually helps and I find it counter productive at times.

Lets leave the politics at the door. All it does is breed division and political debate to a FOOTBALL MATCH

Edited by fifes elite

The Tartan Army's always had a political element to it. It's been more visible at some times than others (like now) but it's always been there.

There was a time when the team and its support were about the only large scale manifestation of Scottish autonomy. I think there's a decent argument to say without it we may never had got a devolved parliament at all....

I think there's a decent argument to say that if Scotland had never had it's own identity in football and rugby a good majority of us would consider ourselves British first and Scottish second.

There's no doubt the team has had a big effect on the modern Scottish identity, but it still doesn't mean that we need to make a political statement out of a football match.

The votes been made, and we should just get on with the football while we still have a team.

Its the No voters who should be thinking about not singing this song. Still havent heard how they can sing with pride about being a nation again and then vote against this? The "Having their Cake and eaten it" generation.

The very fact we have a Scotland team at this time should be cherished. Its our one of few glimmers of national identity that can be seen as equal on the world stage.

There was mixed opinions expressed at the WESTA meeting last night regarding singing of FoS at the next match.

All opinions were respectfully heard and the consensus at the end was that it's a personal thing and people should do what they themselves are comfortable with.

Having voted Yes, I'll be 'protesting' by singing FoS louder and more defiantly than ever. Particularly as I will be standing alongside two No voters. Nothing has changed for us Yes people in that we wanted to be a nation again on Sept 18 and still do now. For us FoS still has every relevance and it's for the No voters to wrestle with their conscience.

Defiance - the greatest form of protest.

Its the No voters who should be thinking about not singing this song. Still havent heard how they can sing with pride about being a nation again and then vote against this? The "Having their Cake and eaten it" generation.

Maybe they support independence but felt the model being out forward was flawed greatly on a number of issues. They also maybe feel that breaking a 300 year union in the space of two years is dangerous and should happen gradually over the course of time. Maybe they feel Scotland as a country as part of two unions (Europe and the united kingdom) is the best way forward.

The absolutist nonsense spouted and generalising people without being able to see that there are many different viewpoints in politics is the biggest issue here. This is why politics should be left at the door.

Plenty of unionists have followed Scotland for years, plenty of scottish nationalists have supported Scotland for years. Its a football team not real life or a political rally.

I'v said earlier that I won't sing it personally even though I voted yes. But this I'm more proud to be Scottish that you attitude and the talk about bringing along political propaganda and campaign material to a football match is brutal

Having voted Yes, I'll be 'protesting' by singing FoS louder and more defiantly than ever. Particularly as I will be standing alongside two No voters. Nothing has changed for us Yes people in that we wanted to be a nation again on Sept 18 and still do now. For us FoS still has every relevance and it's for the No voters to wrestle with their conscience.

Exactly, and the grovellers can stand in silence if for some inexplicable reason they decide to come and support a national team they don't believe should exist.

Totally agree! Loud and proud!!!

Maybe they support independence but felt the model being out forward was flawed greatly on a number of issues. They also maybe feel that breaking a 300 year union in the space of two years is dangerous and should happen gradually over the course of time. Maybe they feel Scotland as a country as part of two unions (Europe and the united kingdom) is the best way forward.

The absolutist nonsense spouted and generalising people without being able to see that there are many different viewpoints in politics is the biggest issue here. This is why politics should be left at the door.

Plenty of unionists have followed Scotland for years, plenty of scottish nationalists have supported Scotland for years. Its a football team not real life or a political rally.

I'v said earlier that I won't sing it personally even though I voted yes. But this I'm more proud to be Scottish that you attitude and the talk about bringing along political propaganda and campaign material to a football match is brutal

You either believe Scotland should be an independent Country or not. Thank god we have this special circumstance of a football team playing as an equal on the world stage. Ultimately a Scotland team is a political statement. Its playing against other nations in the world. Might be uncomfortable for those who decided against Independence but to stand there lustly singing about being a nation again is simply hypocritical.

You either believe Scotland should be an independent Country or not. Thank god we have this special circumstance of a football team playing as an equal on the world stage. Ultimately a Scotland team is a political statement. Its playing against other nations in the world. Might be uncomfortable for those who decided against Independence but to stand there lustly singing about being a nation again is simply hypocritical.

Agreed, but theres nowt we can do and we cannae change the past. So sing if you want or silence if you don't

But lets move on please.

Again it's this absolutist nonsense thats being peddaled around. We developed an international football team while within the union. We will keep an international team while in the union still. Thats how our football developed culturally on these islands decades ago. We have seen each other as four seperate nations in the one union before the referendum for centuries that remains the same no matter what meltdown spin gets put on it. Next if we vote to stay in the EU folk will be demanding we have a European team. It's just another political union of sorts.

Like I say leave the politics at the door when you come to a football game. Garbage divisive pish

Edited by fifes elite