Neil R - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I've never had a day off an my working life for those basturts and I never will.

It's unlikely that the US government would facilitate a day off for a UK royal event so you can sleep easily in your bed tonight. You have escaped our perks very well indeed.

Edited by thewolf_1980

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, thewolf_1980 said:

It's unlikely that the US government would facilitate a day off for a UK royal event so you can sleep easily in your bed tonight. "Buddy". You have escaped our perks very well indeed.

In the event that the US government get pissed off with me I may find myself quickly at the mercy of London once more.

On 8 January 2017 at 2:56 PM, thewolf_1980 said:

And when HM the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were married, it was a weekday and we all got the day off.

HM the Queen was at church this morning so thankfully her cold must be on the wane.

That was brilliant, it was the week after Easter and the Friday before the May bank holiday.  That meant two long weekends in England one week after the other, so I went to New York and Boston for 10 days using only 3 days leave.

On 8 January 2017 at 6:48 PM, thewolf_1980 said:

It's unlikely that the US government would facilitate a day off for a UK royal event so you can sleep easily in your bed tonight. You have escaped our perks very well indeed.

I thought being in the US meant I would be able to get away from it but if anything they were even worse.  I was in Times Square one morning and there was a big bloody London bus.  Turned out it was for the Good Morning America Royal Wedding special, and this was days before.   All the major US networks had full coverage of the ceremony.

How dare all these people be dying. Dont they know it was 2016 that was 'cursed'.

Incidently has anyone mentioned 'the reaper' yet?

Tommy Allsup though. 85. Tragedy. No age. No one should ever go to a game of football and not go home.

Edited by neil r

1 hour ago, neil r said:

How dare all these people be dying. Dont they know it was 2016 that was 'cursed'.

Incidently has anyone mentioned 'the reaper' yet?

Tommy Allsup though. 85. Tragedy. No age. No one should ever go to a game of football and not go home.

That's the least of it.  I see today that the president of Wycombe Wanderers died at a mere 102 years old.

12 hours ago, neil r said:

If you go by the BBC's stock obituaries as a measure, over 50% more were used in 2016 than in previous years. So there clearly was a serious increase...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-3832740

We'll see if the trend continues or if the celebrity departure rate normalises. IMO it was the most significant year for famous deaths since 1980...

http://www.biography.com/people/groups/died-1980

Edited by Toepoke

11 hours ago, fringo said:

What's 2017 coming to ?!? :(

2017 is clearly now the new 2016. Its tried hard to shake off the tag, with at least 10 hours now gone by without a celebrity death, but even Lorraine Kelly couldnt put positive spin on this. Wish we could go back to the old days when no-one died. Ever.

Failing that , Channel 4 could do with giving us an update at the end of the weather forecast each night, on how every celebrity is doing , just to reduce the impact and trauma of their eventual demise , and in turn increase the country's GDP.  Infact a tornado over The Ivy would save Channel 4 a bit of time and let us all get back to happily watching repeats of Morecambe and Wise. 

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

If you go by the BBC's stock obituaries as a measure, over 50% more were used in 2016 than in previous years. So there clearly was a serious increase...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-3832740

No there clearly wasnt.

There are simply more 'celebrity' deaths because there are now more 'celebrities' and more ways to become 'famous'.

As for the 50% BBC increase. So what? That is only significant if the BBC kept the same amount of stock obituaries year on year but they dont. Id be more than happy to bet there are more obits stashed away on the beeb ready to see the light of day now than there have ever been. 

More 'famous celebrities' then more BBC obituaries. It rises expedentially and proves absolutely nothing.

Coupled with the fact that a lot of these deaths occured in what is known as baby boomers ie people born around the end of WWII who are now in their late 60s early 70 is hardly surprising. The more celebrity baby boomers the more 'celebrity' deaths. Exactly the same as more nurses, binmen or shop workers of the same age will have died and will continue to die last year and over the next couple of decades.

There are more car drivers alive now than there ever have been. Its fair to assume that last year would have seen a huge amount of them dying at various ages, one way or another. Are we in the times of a car driver curse? Is 'the reaper' after car drivers specifically?

But aye- you believe its all out of the ordinary with celebrities if you like.

:lol:

2 hours ago, neil r said:

No there clearly wasnt.

There are simply more 'celebrity' deaths because there are now more 'celebrities' and more ways to become 'famous'.

As for the 50% BBC increase. So what? That is only significant if the BBC kept the same amount of stock obituaries year on year but they dont. Id be more than happy to bet there are more obits stashed away on the beeb ready to see the light of day now than there have ever been. 

More 'famous celebrities' then more BBC obituaries. It rises expedentially and proves absolutely nothing.

Coupled with the fact that a lot of these deaths occured in what is known as baby boomers ie people born around the end of WWII who are now in their late 60s early 70 is hardly surprising. The more celebrity baby boomers the more 'celebrity' deaths. Exactly the same as more nurses, binmen or shop workers of the same age will have died and will continue to die last year and over the next couple of decades.

There are more car drivers alive now than there ever have been. Its fair to assume that last year would have seen a huge amount of them dying at various ages, one way or another. Are we in the times of a car driver curse? Is 'the reaper' after car drivers specifically?

But aye- you believe its all out of the ordinary with celebrities if you like.

:lol:

I agree the Beeb must have a larger stock of obituaries than in the pre internet days, but the spike in the use of them happened in comparison to just the previous 4 years.

It's pretty irrefutable that 2016 will go down as a year when a lot of famous people died, as did 1980.

I've never suggested these were anything other than coincidental though. Death is random after all.

As a personal example I never experienced a death in the family until I was 22, then three of my grandparents went in the space of two months. A very sad coincidence yes, a curse on the family? Clearly not.

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I agree the Beeb must have a larger stock of obituaries than in the pre internet days, but the spike in the use of them happened in comparison to just the previous 4 years.

It's pretty irrefutable that 2016 will go down as a year when a lot of famous people died, as did 1980.

Nah. Its not.

What is irrefutable is that 2016 will go down as the year that hysterical people believed there was a 'curse' or wished that 2016 would 'do one'.

We're only  2 weeks into 2017 and there's been about half a dozen 'celebrity' deaths. It'll keep rising year on year. 

Nothing unusual in that at all.

The celebrity death that was the least news worthy was David Gest, I only knew him as the absolute fcking weirdo ex husband of an another absolute fcking weirdo. I had no idea that he was supposedly famous, some TV personality by all accounts, they will be claiming Howard from Halifax is now a celebrity when he kicks the bucket.

17 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I've never suggested these were anything other than coincidental though. Death is random after all.

As a personal example I never experienced a death in the family until I was 22, then three of my grandparents went in the space of two months. A very sad coincidence yes, a curse on the family? Clearly not.

No it isn't. There's normally a very good reason for it.  Well, it's a big old world and we all have to live our lives and one thing's for sure, ain't none of us gonna get out alive.

Edited by Orraloon

17 hours ago, phart said:

How anyone can make a definitive statistical conclusion without viewing the numbers suggests more hysteria than originally thought.

Of course, one of the big problems in trying to do that is defining things like "famous" and "celebrity". One man's celebrity is another man's nobody.

14 hours ago, kumnio said:

The celebrity death that was the least news worthy was David Gest, I only knew him as the absolute fcking weirdo ex husband of an another absolute fcking weirdo. I had no idea that he was supposedly famous, some TV personality by all accounts, they will be claiming Howard from Halifax is now a celebrity when he kicks the bucket.

Who?;)

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

No it isn't. There's normally a very good reason for it.  Well, it's a big old world and we all have to live our lives and one thing's for sure, ain't none of us gonna get out alive.

Poor wording from me there, "time of death is random" I should've said.