Strachan remains - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan remains

clarky1606

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like Smith and McLeish perhaps? Both of whom failed to get us to a major tournament as well. That is the bottom line here - turning us into qualifiers.

I'm not sure why you keep repeating this. 

Smith arrived when we could no longer qualify. He started the next campaign (in a group which included the 2 WC finalists and 1 WC 1/4 finalist) very well, including victories over France and Ukraine). McLeish then took over and led us to the greatest victory we've ever had and left us with the highest winning %age of any manager in our history. 

To compare their "failure" to qualify to that of Levein, Burley's or Strachan's is ludicrous and is only making you look foolish. 

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Smith arrived when we could no longer qualify. He started the next campaign (in a group which included the 2 WC finalists and 1 WC 1/4 finalist) very well, including victories over France and Ukraine). McLeish then took over and led us to the greatest victory we've ever had and left us with the highest winning %age of any manager in our history. 

To compare their "failure" to qualify to that of Levein, Burley's or Strachan's is ludicrous and is only making you look foolish. 

Fair enough but equally those unable to say the words 'we are shit' now are in denial. The players we have now are just not up to the task and haven't been for the last three managers and won't be for the next one either.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair enough but equally those unable to say the words 'we are shit' now are in denial. The players we have now are just not up to the task and haven't been for the last three managers and won't be for the next one either.

Up to the task of what? 

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Up to the task of what? 

Up to the task of getting us to qualify for a major tournament. We are shit and Strachan should have gone months ago but the shit will still be left behind. We have no centre of defence of note to speak of, no world class players and no prolific goalscorers to call on. I have been through the false beliefs before that a new manager will change things but it never does. Whilst the SFA continue sticking their head in the sand nothing will change.

53 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Are you sure about that?

You should be able to win this argument without making things up.:lol:

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Are you sure about that?

You should be able to win this argument without making things up.:lol:

We weren't mathematically out of it when he took over but in reality we were. I couldn't be arsed checking who was manager when we won vs Ukraine, i thought it was Smith. 

40 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Up to the task of getting us to qualify for a major tournament.

Teams with poorer squads than ours qualified for the last tournament. One of those was even in our qualifying group. 

13 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We weren't mathematically out of it when he took over but in reality we were. I couldn't be arsed checking who was manager when we won vs Ukraine, i thought it was Smith. 

We dropped another 10 points in that campaign after Walter took over. He did a fantastic job getting us back into contention in that group, but we just missed out because we dropped 5 points to Belarus. Walter was in charge for both of those games.

That victory over Ukraine was one of the best results in recent history. Most real supporters would remember who the manager was.;) I don't want you in my pub quiz team.:lol:

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We dropped another 10 points in that campaign after Walter took over. He did a fantastic job getting us back into contention in that group, but we just missed out because we dropped 5 points to Belarus. Walter was in charge for both of those games.

That victory over Ukraine was one of the best results in recent history. Most real supporters would remember who the manager was.;) I don't want you in my pub quiz team.:lol:

Aye because you didn't use google to find out anything you've said in this post at all.... ;) 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Aye because you didn't use google to find out anything you've said in this post at all.... ;) 

Some folk have good memories. Unfortunately those two games against Belarus are not two of my better memories. ;)

5 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Would we have qualified if we'd beaten Belarus in that final game

No.

And it wasn't the final game, it was the second last game. We beat Slovenia 0-3 in the final game but it was all over by then. 

28 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

No.

And it wasn't the final game, it was the second last game. We beat Slovenia 0-3 in the final game but it was all over by then. 

yeah I was at the Belarus game

seem to remember we were very defensive in a must win game. Miller missed one of his through on goal and blaazed over and conceded late

but it was all for nothing anyway

can't recall what other results were to put us out on the night

but CC's comments that smith didn't qualify were well harsh

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So are you denying we are horse shit?

No I'm not denying that we have been shit. But the manager has to take a lot of the blame for the team underperforming. He has failed to get the best from the players at his disposal.

As stated worse teams than us have outperformed us because they have a manager who has them organised and playing to their strengths. 

At the end of the day saying changing a manager changes nothing is bizarre. If that was the case no team would ever sack their managers because the next one wouldn't be able to do any better. That seems to be your logic to this.

1 hour ago, GordyA88 said:

No I'm not denying that we have been shit. But the manager has to take a lot of the blame for the team underperforming. He has failed to get the best from the players at his disposal.

As stated worse teams than us have outperformed us because they have a manager who has them organised and playing to their strengths. 

At the end of the day saying changing a manager changes nothing is bizarre. If that was the case no team would ever sack their managers because the next one wouldn't be able to do any better. That seems to be your logic to this.

Good post.

4 hours ago, GordyA88 said:

"yes but all those other teams have players playing at a higher level" - what about Nortgern Ireland? - "but all those other teams have players playing regularly for their clubs" - when pointed out that is not the case (or it is the manager who chooses to pick players who are not getting a game - "but all those other teams have continuity" - ignoring the years Strachan has been in charge. ad nauseam.

to bring in a political analogy our governing body and manager are the equivalent of Scottish Labour 5-10 years ago; they do nothing to benefit anyone but themselves secure in the knowledge that not only will there not be a revolt but they will continue to get support in sufficient numbers. 

4 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

"yes but all those other teams have players playing at a higher level" - what about Nortgern Ireland? - "but all those other teams have players playing regularly for their clubs" - when pointed out that is not the case (or it is the manager who chooses to pick players who are not getting a game - "but all those other teams have continuity" - ignoring the years Strachan has been in charge. ad nauseam.

to bring in a political analogy our governing body and manager are the equivalent of Scottish Labour 5-10 years ago; they do nothing to benefit anyone but themselves secure in the knowledge that not only will there not be a revolt but they will continue to get support in sufficient numbers. 

You're elevated to Thplinth, Phart and Donny's board. 

12 hours ago, GordyA88 said:

I have gone on record and said Strachan should have been sacked months ago - that is not the issue here. Has he failed to get the best from the players at his disposal or what he has at his disposal is shit? Take your pick. Remember the two previous managers faired no better with roughly the same players.

No they are not worse teams than us. They are better than us as their results clearly show. I am not in the habit of bumming up our team/players/manager/SFA when the evidence overwhelmingly says we are shit.

I have no issue with changing managers but with the crap available to choose from player-wise changes nothing. And in any case just remember who is doing the hiring of the manager here - the SFA. I hold out zero hope they get a competent manager in.

On 03/03/2017 at 3:12 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Up to the task of getting us to qualify for a major tournament. We are shit and Strachan should have gone months ago but the shit will still be left behind. We have no centre of defence of note to speak of, no world class players and no prolific goalscorers to call on. I have been through the false beliefs before that a new manager will change things but it never does. Whilst the SFA continue sticking their head in the sand nothing will change.

Well said. Totally agree. All strachans fault seems to be the cry. Will be the same shout with the next manager when we are still not qualifying.

53 minutes ago, Doric said:

Well said. Totally agree. All strachans fault seems to be the cry. Will be the same shout with the next manager when we are still not qualifying.

Precisely. We are in a repeating feedback loop. Get a new manager in by all means but just remember.......it is the same pathetic SFA doing the hiring. And remember it will be the same players available. There are no Dalglish-esque, Souness-esque, or McLeish-esque players hiding out there untried - that is the problem. We need a top to bottom clear out - a complete restart including at the SFA  but we all know that won't happen so it will be - as you were.

10 minutes ago, kumnio said:

To the two Strachan fanboys above, heres a simple question, you can even answer it with a simple Yes or No.

Is Strachan getting the best out of our players?

Fanboy? I have said time and again he should have been sacked months ago so your question is irrelevant.

If I can offer a counter-question? Do you trust the SFA in selecting the new manager?

12 minutes ago, kumnio said:

No, I dont trust them, but thats not an excuse for not sacking an arrogant smug incompetent wee ginger bellend.

Spot on. CC and Doric are as clueless as feck and have been caught by the "We're too pish" excuse that allieviates the pressure on failure.

24 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Spot on. CC and Doric are as clueless as feck and have been caught by the "We're too pish" excuse that allieviates the pressure on failure.

No it is called realism. FFS I have said time and time again that Strachan should have been sacked months ago. But listening to people here is like listening to junkies who can't admit they have a problem. The difference is people can't admit to how shit we are. This is not just Strachan as before him it was Levein and before him it was Burley. All shite. There's a pattern. Simple fact is the players are shite. Defence that can't defend and attack that can't score and that has been going on for the last THREE managers now.

Sack Strachan definitely but dream on if you think that solves the shite players the new manager has to work with.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No it is called realism. FFS I have said time and time again that Strachan should have been sacked months ago. But listening to people here is like listening to junkies who can't admit they have a problem. The difference is people can't admit to how shit we are. This is not just Strachan as before him it was Levein and before him it was Burley. All shite. There's a pattern. Simple fact is the players are shite. Defence that can't defend and attack that can't score and that has been going on for the last THREE managers now.

Sack Strachan definitely but dream on if you think that solves the shite players the new manager has to work with.

It's like talking to your missus. She's right no matter what. 

You couldn't even answer a simple question because you know the answer is that Strachan is not getting the best from all the players available.  

Yes the SFA are a joke, yes we have been shite for ages, yes we maybe don't have the players of yester year. But you are kidding yourself on if you think that apointing the right manager wouldn't potentially improve performances on the pitch.