The group is bawbagged - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The group is bawbagged

bonny78

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

i'd rather beat Slovenia. 

if we had to pick one then of course it would be Slovenia. Anyone saying otherwise would seem to dislike England more than they care about Scotland.

Unless of course they believe that Slovenia will win the group and England are our rivals for second, but that's just silly.

3 hours ago, irish said:

I should rephrase that. I'd imagine most on here would prefer to put one over England but beating Slovenia would be more beneficial if you've designs on having a go at second place. 

We need to win both these games or at least get a point v engerland.    Malta at hamden is already counted as a win

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/12/2016 at 10:22 AM, irish said:

Well lads if Scotland were to pull off a great escape and finish second , what's the best possible results do you think are achievable? It's unlikely even in the best case scenario that Scotland would get second place on goal difference so it would have to be on points. I'd imagine 4 points minimum from Slovenia and England at home otherwise it's definitely curtains. I think the best results Scotland can get would be:

Slovenia (H) win 3 points                     

England (H) draw 1 point

Lithuania (A) win 3 points

Malta (H) win 3 points

Slovakia (H) win 3 points

Slovenia (A) draw 1 point

18 points  total. Anything less will almost certainly have Scotland as the worst 2nd placed team.

It's very possible and realistic that Slovenia could draw away to Slovakia, lose to England & Scotland and only beat Lithuania & Malta leaving them on 15 points with Scotland travelling there to hold out for a draw. It benefits Scotland that this is the last game imo. Slovenia end up on 16 points.

Slovakia will beat Malta twice, could lose away to England & Scotland, draw at home to Slovenia & draw in Lithuania leaving them on 14 points. Even if we allow for a win in either of the Slovenia & Lithuania games and a draw away to an already qualified England (more or less) it still leaves them on 17 points.

It's unlikely that Scotland will get these results whilst at the same time both Slovenia and Slovakia dropping points at the same time but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. I think it's the best potential outcome at this stage for Scotland.

It's a huge task for Scotland to win in Lithuania and take maximum points at home to Slovenia and Slovakia but they're well capable of it if they can somehow plug the gaps in defense. Scotland certainly created enough chances in the England & Slovakia games that may have gone differently had they taken them.

I can understand the doom and gloom on here but it would be a huge boost going into the England home game in June if Scotland could somehow scrape a big win at home against Slovenia.

I think 19 points will almost certainly give us 2nd place, which means 5 wins out of 6. 18 or 17 points might be enough though. The way I see it, if we can't beat Malta at home, we can forget it, whilst realistically we need to beat Slovenia & Slovakia at home. That leaves us needing 6 points from the England, Lithuania & Slovenia (away) games, although 5 or even 4 points from these 3 games might just be enough. I don't think we'll do it, but I'm certainly not giving up hope, unlike others on here. More than possible.

As for avoiding being the worst 2nd place, we can worry about that, if we're still in contention going into the last two games. Looking at previous campaigns, the worst second place in groups of 6 have finished on anything between 16 and 20 points. I'd imagine that 18 would probably be enough.

On 08/12/2016 at 5:54 PM, Doric said:

Every one of us ? Hardly !!!!

:ok:

On 08/12/2016 at 5:56 PM, Doric said:

If we beat Slovenia I believe we are well back in it. We are all ready up against it in the most important game of the campaign as the so called greatest fans in the world are planning to boycott the game.

On 10/12/2016 at 3:13 PM, todd said:

He's not dreaming, just suggesting a possible scenario.  Or are we not even allowed to do that on here anymore, lest it be deemed as some form of positive thinking.  :spin:

On 06/01/2017 at 8:18 AM, irish said:

Happy New Year lads ;)

I assume the England game will be a scrap and the more unlikely win out of the two so how do you think Scotland will approach the Slovenia game? Will Scotland come out of the blocks and it try and sustain pressure in the first 20 minutes to get that early or will Strachan go for a more measured approach.

Obviously Strachan knows a draw is no good and will have to take risks. Judging by how Slovenia have played so far, they look a tougher outfit to beat at home than Slovakia.  A draw in that game and Scotland will definitely need to beat England.

4 points minimum from these two home games or it's curtains.

I don't agree. 1 point from the next two games and we could still win our last 4 potentially and get 2nd place. If we only lose one more game, we could handle it being either against England or Lithuania.

On 06/01/2017 at 11:23 AM, bonny78 said:

Is our response just to headhunt every manager we ve had when things dont go well???

Unfortunately yes.

On 07/01/2017 at 5:16 PM, bonny78 said:

Chirs iwuooouuoo.  (Mongo noise)

:lol:

On 07/01/2017 at 5:23 PM, big clarky said:

aye yur bang on mate,we need a more cavalier aproach to games

Have you ever heard of a concept called the counter attack?

13 minutes ago, Que Sera Sera said:

I think 19 points will almost certainly give us 2nd place, which means 5 wins out of 6. 18 or 17 points might be enough though. The way I see it, if we can't beat Malta at home, we can forget it, whilst realistically we need to beat Slovenia & Slovakia at home. That leaves us needing 6 points from the England, Lithuania & Slovenia (away) games, although 5 or even 4 points from these 3 games might just be enough. I don't think we'll do it, but I'm certainly not giving up hope, unlike others on here. More than possible.

As for avoiding being the worst 2nd place, we can worry about that, if we're still in contention going into the last two games. Looking at previous campaigns, the worst second place in groups of 6 have finished on anything between 16 and 20 points. I'd imagine that 18 would probably be enough.

I don't agree. 1 point from the next two games and we could still win our last 4 potentially and get 2nd place. If we only lose one more game, we could handle it being either against England or Lithuania.

Unfortunately yes.

Do you work for the SFA? ;) Are tickets sales a wee bit slow?

5 hours ago, Que Sera Sera said:

Unfortunately yes.

When you come off the crack your opinion might change 

Its all bollocksed and anyone that keeps a flame for possible second place needs to get a life. Humped in England I can accept - expected I guess. Humped in Slovakia like that shows WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO QUALIFY (although we did have a few chances). The draw against Lithuania was poor and we could have easy lost that one as well. Dont get your hopes up IMO another total flop and under a manager I thought would come good after some of the crud we have had to endure. I would love Darren Fletcher to end up taking us forward at some stage. With all his medical conditions and stuff his playing career is difficult and limited so why not use his experience to take Scotland to some great away wins and qualification. His heart is there.  

18 hours ago, CraigieBrown said:

Its all bollocksed and anyone that keeps a flame for possible second place needs to get a life. Humped in England I can accept - expected I guess. Humped in Slovakia like that shows WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO QUALIFY (although we did have a few chances). The draw against Lithuania was poor and we could have easy lost that one as well. Dont get your hopes up IMO another total flop and under a manager I thought would come good after some of the crud we have had to endure. I would love Darren Fletcher to end up taking us forward at some stage. With all his medical conditions and stuff his playing career is difficult and limited so why not use his experience to take Scotland to some great away wins and qualification. His heart is there.  

By that logic, Slovakia won't be good enough to qualify either if we beat them at Hampden. We beat Ireland at home and would've beaten Poland at home were it not for a 94th minute goal. It's not exactly unthinkable that we could beat Slovenia and Slovakia at home.

I think we were terrible in Slovakia, although I don't think we played that badly against Lithuania and definitely didn't play that badly against England.

Are you touting Darren Fletcher to be our next coach?

I'm not making any predictions. I don't think we'll qualify but I'll always hope that Scotland will qualify as long as there's a chance. Presumably you and the others who say we've got no chance won't be going to the rest of the games?

2 minutes ago, Que Sera Sera said:

Presumably you and the others who say we've got no chance won't be going to the rest of the games?

Correct :ok: 

I'll not pay exorbitant prices to watch a flop of a team, with an inept, arrogant, condescending coach and an SFA who see us as customers to be milked to our maximum. 

18 hours ago, CraigieBrown said:

Double Post

Edited by Que Sera Sera

There is trying to be hopeful and work out how we could possibly get 2nd but then there is blind faith or lunacy, it's a very fine line!  The realists like myself will still go and support, but that's more for a banter with mates now, I know and have accepted for awhile now we aren't good enough to get anywhere near 2nd place.  

19 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

The glory hunters will jump back aboard once we're back in the ascendancy. As opposed to the supporters who follow a team through thick and thin.

Glory hunters...

You're either an idiot or a happy clapper. Maybe both.

Buzzin for the release of the next away kit are we? 

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Glory hunters...

Nah. He's right. Anyone not attending for the sole reason that we aren't going to qualify is a glory hunter in my book.

I'm far from a happy clapper or a glengarry wearing weirdo with a fetish for pin badges, and I don't care about the release of the away kit, but if Scotland are playing at home I will be there.

Backing the team through thick and thin might be an alien concept to you, but don't ridicule others for it 

29 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Glory hunters...

Touched a nerve? Never bought a Scotland top in my life which must be a disappointment for you. You're entitled to your opinion though. I'm just a fan that supports my team.

30 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

Touched a nerve? Never bought a Scotland top in my life which must be a disappointment for you. You're entitled to your opinion though. I'm just a fan that supports my team.

So do we all. You're aware you're calling Scotland fans "glory hunters", yes? :lol: 

1 hour ago, Reevesy said:

Nah. He's right. Anyone not attending for the sole reason that we aren't going to qualify is a glory hunter in my book.

I'm far from a happy clapper or a glengarry wearing weirdo with a fetish for pin badges, and I don't care about the release of the away kit, but if Scotland are playing at home I will be there.

Backing the team through thick and thin might be an alien concept to you, but don't ridicule others for it 

Spot on, and it applies to most of the Scotland support.