Final Championship Game Hearts V Rangers Moved! Wtf?!? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Final Championship Game Hearts V Rangers Moved! Wtf?!?

Yup, you have a cracking one there Hannibal. Great statement.

At 10.43am today, the club received notice from the SPFL that our last home game of the season v Rangers is to be moved to Sunday 3rd May at 12.30pm. This was the first notification of any change that we received.

This has been done following selection of the game for a live TV broadcast. While we all knew that this was likely to be a strong candidate for televising and that the time might well change, we did not for one minute think that at this late stage, it would be moved to the Sunday….especially given our belief that all Championship games would require to be played at the same time.

Previously in the season we delayed the sale of tickets for the first Rangers game as long as we could as we realised that this fixture was highly attractive to broadcasters and likely for selection. In relation to this game, we attempted to do the same but in this case, it would seem to no avail.

On learning of the change, I immediately attempted to contact the SPFL and objected in strong terms to the proposed late change to this fixture on the grounds of it having a total disregard for the interests of supporters of both clubs and an apparent disregard for sporting integrity. I also spoke directly to Police Scotland who share our frustration and informed me that they had written with some strong reasons for objecting to the changed fixture, including duplication of work for them, re-allocation of resources, etc. but once again, to no avail.

Being given 17 days’ notice of this change is extremely disruptive and potentially very expensive for the fans, the sponsors and indeed the club. Overseas supporters have been in touch to advise that they will lose substantial amounts on travel; others have advised of lost earnings, holiday problems, etc.

None of this is good for any of us and on behalf of the club, I can only apologise.

When it also became apparent to us that our fixture was the only game to be moved, we were equally alarmed as rightly or wrongly, this casts a shadow over the sporting integrity of the Championship. While it may not be enshrined in the newly merged rule book of the SPFL, it is protocol the football world over for fixtures such as the last day of the Championship to be played simultaneously. To move only one, (or even 2 or 4) out of 5 fixtures would seem to be leaving our game wide open to unsavoury accusations. I wrote, raising this point, to the SPFL, copying all clubs. Correspondence received from the SPFL asking Championship clubs to state their case for a move, does little to alleviate our concerns re the perception of this matter.

I will be sending in a formal complaint to the SPFL in relation to this appallingly late decision. It is no wonder that clubs are finding it harder and harder to gain support from their fans when their interests can be so blatantly disregarded, especially at such short notice.

I am advised that this complaint will likely have no impact on the original decision but nevertheless, I want our supporters to know that we have taken all and any action that we could have and I will further comment on the situation once we have been updated by the League.

Ann Budge

Fantastic statement.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone agrees this is a complete joke except the people who made the decision. Statements are all very good but the clubs need to grow a set and start doing more. Objecting strongly enough to maybe threatening not to play the match would really ratchet up the pressure on the donkey. Might even lead to some significant change.

And we as Scottish Football fans have the cheek to complain about Sepp Blatter and FIFA.

What is it about football and having unscrupulous, out of touch, cheating ####wits in charge?

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Everyone agrees this is a complete joke except the people who made the decision. Statements are all very good but the clubs need to grow a set and start doing more. Objecting strongly enough to maybe threatening not to play the match would really ratchet up the pressure on the donkey. Might even lead to some significant change.

If that happens, then those hard and fast SPFL rules would come into play... only when it suits them, of course.

Maybe an Inverness supporter can start a petition.

If that happens, then those hard and fast SPFL rules would come into play... only when it suits them, of course.

Maybe an Inverness supporter can start a petition.

I know all the clubs are part of the spfl and bound by the rules but its just crazy. When will this shit ever stop?

If that game started with Rangers 3 points behind Hibs, with an inferior GD to them of, say, 3 and then Rangers won 4-0 against a Hearts side that were already (as the saying goes) 'in their flip-flops' then there is no way you would ever convince a Hibs fan that it was all fair and above board. And no-one could blame them. There are any number of equally plausible scenarios that will call the integrity of all involved into question. This is a decision that is beyond ridiculous and will remove any shred of credibility that the SPFL may have had as an organisation.

This is a decision that is beyond ridiculous and will remove any shred of credibility that the SPFL may have had as an organisation.

They don't have any and probably never will. I really hope that Hibs are 4 points ahead of them by that time so their fans can just watch the Hearts end of season party. Maybe nobody will bother watching it on TV either.

Stuart McCall has come out and backed Hibs' and Hearts' stance saying he thinks it's a poor decision and that all games should be played at the same time.

Fair play to him for that.

This is a total farce and has brought the SPFL into complete disrepute. Doncaster should be sacked immediately as a result.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

Doncaster on Good Morning Scotland this morning. ####s sake, what an utter bunny rabbit.

Said no issues, also said had offered all games to move but one club...... said No. Rumour is that it is Falkirk who are due to play Hibs on the Saturday. No problem with them if thats true, games shouldnt be getting moved so late on.

Also, there is still the ridiculous situation where Hibs or Falkirk (who still have a chance of playoff place) currently face playing a playoff final on the Monday after the Cup final.

Lets face it, the football authorities in this country will do anything they can get away with, to get the old firm back together. If they had been allowed to, they would have shoe horned Rangers back into the first division at the time as a pishy penalty for going down the tubes.Only thing that stopped them was the fans of the diddy teams kicking up hell. Just wait if they get in the play off , the ref will be dying to point to the spot to help them on their way,Doncaster's only game plan at work involves the old firm playing each other, without that he is fookin lost, as the last three years have shown

I don't think for a minute that this disgraceful decision has anything to do with getting rangers back in the top league. It is just another example of the SPFL's lack of regard for the fans, and their willingness to bend over and take it from the TV companies, for a few pieces of silver.

Edited by jailender

The Scottish Championship will now be the only League in Britain that doesn't have it's last day fixtures all kicking off at the same time. Scandalous. Doncaster's statements are laughable.

Lets face it, the football authorities in this country will do anything they can get away with, to get the old firm back together. If they had been allowed to, they would have shoe horned Rangers back into the first division at the time as a pishy penalty for going down the tubes.Only thing that stopped them was the fans of the diddy teams kicking up hell. Just wait if they get in the play off , the ref will be dying to point to the spot to help them on their way,Doncaster's only game plan at work involves the old firm playing each other, without that he is fookin lost, as the last three years have shown

What does any of this shite have to do with Celtic?

Celtic voted no to them starting in the top flight remember.