Match Thread - Scotland vs Lithuania - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread - Scotland vs Lithuania

ErsatzThistle

Last nights performance was really poor, we were so slow in the build up it gave them time to get organised into their defensive shape. We didn't create very much, a couple of decents crosses and headers but did we have a shot on target?, I am struggling to remember. I was there with one of the boys from work who is Lithuanian and he was disappointed to come away with a point

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I think there is an argument for playing more directly against a week drilled, fit and athletic team with good technical players.

Got to disagree mate. Think that type of football has no place in the game anymore, and I think our recent lack of anything remotely close to success shows this

Most positive thing so far is we are 4 points ahead of Slovakia. Don't think there's much between us, Lithuania, Slovenia and Slovakia. Maybe one of the others will drop points away to Malta? At least we've got that out of the way.

Really want us to have a go against Slovakia as they're not that great.

Most positive thing so far is we are 4 points ahead of Slovakia. Don't think there's much between us, Lithuania, Slovenia and Slovakia. Maybe one of the others will drop points away to Malta? At least we've got that out of the way.

I think before the lithuania result or before the group started most of us would have expected us to lose to slovakia over there.i don't think that opinion has change especially now.a draw would be a good result for us.

9 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Is that the same Slovakia that beat Spain and Ukraine in qualifying for Euro 2016?

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

Got to disagree mate. Think that type of football has no place in the game anymore, and I think our recent lack of anything remotely close to success shows this

I don't advocate hoofball, but I don't think we should be trying to imitate Spain either. Against teams who will defend very deep against us at Hampden, like Lithuania, and who are very capable, then I understand the need to get the ball into the box from the flanks. We did this well at times, with both full backs contributing, but it's nonsense to be hitting long balls to a lone striker in such circumstances. Which is why I would argue that IF we are going to go route one, then we need 2 guys up there. Fletcher and Rhodes for me. So, diagonals from the flanks in behind their defence to turn them, whipped in crosses into their box are ok in my book, but not simply tanking it up the middle.

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I think there is an argument for playing more directly against a week drilled, fit and athletic team with good technical players. My issue would be that if we are going to bypass the possession game in midfield, then playing 442 with 2 strikers is the better formation. Martin AND Fletcher would have been the shout if the intended tactic was high balls forward to be fought for.

You'd also need midfield runners but with two sitting midfielders and two wingers there was no support when the ball was played long last night.

The lack of attacking midfielders bar Snodgrass showed Strachan's lack of ambition.  He is too scared to actually go for it properly. 

The tactics let the side down and the manager has to take the blame for that.

44 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You'd also need midfield runners but with two sitting midfielders and two wingers there was no support when the ball was played long last night.

The lack of attacking midfielders bar Snodgrass showed Strachan's lack of ambition.  He is too scared to actually go for it properly. 

The tactics let the side down and the manager has to take the blame for that.

Big problem for me in the first half particularly was that Bannan and Fletcher sat too deep when we had the ball and Burke, Ritchie and Snodgrass were too far forwards.  The Lithuanians congested the middle between them so it was difficult to pass through them.  That meant the resort to hitting longish balls, not hoofball exactly, but 20-30 yard passes, in the air that were more difficult to control rather than simple 10-15 yard passes to feet.  The Lithuanians were picking the second ball all night.

Either way we are done with this campaign after only 2 games.

That wee twat stays on we won't come close to qualifying. The only way he'll go is if we lose games and that also means no qualification.

To sum it up we are pish and are a footballing backwater.

1 minute ago, macy37 said:

Either way we are done with this campaign after only 2 games.

That wee twat stays on we won't come close to qualifying. The only way he'll go is if we lose games and that also means no qualification.

To sum it up we are pish and are a footballing backwater.

Win the next game and we are ok. Probably only delaying the inevitable though.

Something has to change.

18 minutes ago, aaid said:

Big problem for me in the first half particularly was that Bannan and Fletcher sat too deep when we had the ball and Burke, Ritchie and Snodgrass were too far forwards.  The Lithuanians congested the middle between them so it was difficult to pass through them.  That meant the resort to hitting longish balls, not hoofball exactly, but 20-30 yard passes, in the air that were more difficult to control rather than simple 10-15 yard passes to feet.  The Lithuanians were picking the second ball all night.

Which boils down to the wrong players or the wrong formation.  Or maybe a bit of both. 

Either way the buck stops with Strachan.

It seems to be the modern way that the manager picks a formation rigidly and won't change even when it becomes apparent it's not working.

Are players so thick they can't cope with two or three different formations? 

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Which boils down to the wrong players or the wrong formation.  Or maybe a bit of both. 

Either way the buck stops with Strachan.

It seems to be the modern way that the manager picks a formation rigidly and won't change even when it becomes apparent it's not working.

Are players so thick they can't cope with two or three different formations? 

I don't think that particularly was a problem with players or formations but just simple straight forwards tactics.  So either that's how Strachan wanted them to play or they weren't following his instructions but either way it wasn't working and I agree with you, it's down to the manager, especially as he did nothing to change it.

22 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Win the next game and we are ok. Probably only delaying the inevitable though.

Something has to change.

If you think we are capable of winning on Tuesday and also being in with a shout of qualifying I'll take a smoke of whatever you are on please. :-)

Just now, macy37 said:

If you think we are capable of winning on Tuesday and also being in with a shout of qualifying I'll take a smoke of whatever you are on please. :-)

No chance I am taking that bet. What I'm saying is that if we win, group wise, then we should be ok.

Do I think we'll win?

No.

(but smoking something may be required to get through Tuesday night, in any event).

If we win, then its a sticking-plaster-on-an-axe-wound type stuff.

On a side note. Bad omen before the Game, sitting in the north stand with the Mrs when she pointed out that the "This time" flag bearers walking around the pitch had, at one point, inadvertently, arranged themselves into a position where it read "Shit time."  Just saying:)

My main observations were:

- Strachan talked in interviews beforehand about how Lithuania are pressing teams high up the park and that they'd do that to us. Then why did we not adjust our game plan or formation beforehand to get around this? We just played the exact same setup as we did against Malta which must have made it easy for Lithuania to study and plan how to play against us. Going 4-4-2 from the start would have had them on the back foot.

- defensive and attacking midfielders were miles apart

- final balls were terrible

- Patterson looked a bit out his depth to me. Not awful at the back but not comfortable enough with passing and going forward.

- Chris Martin gives us nothing. Not his fault but he needs dropped immediately

- Not sure Burke suits our style of play. Would have preferred Naismith, Maloney or Morrison. Although I guess he offers same sort of thing as Anya. To be fair I've never seen anyone as quick as Burke last night.

- Atmosphere was worst in my memory. And on a Saturday night. Not that it was really our fault as first half so flat. That's probably the only home game I'll make it to this campaign.

Observations last night:

- First time I've seen Paterson play 'live' and if anything he looks more like a right midfielder. Looks comfortable and dangerous going forward however looks out his depth when defending.

- In the first half we were very flat and lost the ball a lot in the Lithuania half. However it didn't help that almost every time in the first half when we received the ball on the half way line we were fouled breaking up the play, which I think for tactical reasons was done by Lithuania. 

- Saying that however, when we did get into their half, there was a lack of movement and options for the man on the ball as well as all round careless passing. Only movement I really saw was by Snodgrass. 

- Strachan said we played well in the second half and I tend to agree with him. Apart from conceding the goal which to be fair to Lithuania was a well worked goal however was preventable, we played some good stuff however lacked the final touch to score (Griffiths header / Martins flick on).

- We had a lot of the ball however tended not to do much with it. A lot of turning back or passing to the side. 

- We also, apart from Burke, never take players on and drive at them. Lithuanian players **** themselves when Burke ran at them, something I'd like Ritchie to do more often as he has the pace to do so.

- Overall, first half was shocking, 2nd half played much better however does not take away the fact that we have just drawn (feels like a loss) to Lithuania at home. Only thing I can say to brighten hopes is that Wales drew to Georgia tonight at home also, at least we aren't the only home nation to get a disappointing result at home!!

23 hours ago, aaid said:

Spot on.

Also agree with the comments that Patterson looked a little out of his depth.

Surprised that Hanley seems to be getting most of the blame for their goal. Looking at the replays I would say Bannan should have done a lot better. The guy who provided the assist just jogged past Bannan, and Bannan made no effort at all to go with him.