Holiday Reads - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Autobiographies and P.G. Wodehouse are my usual holiday books of choice. The latter is so easy to read and ideal for lying by the pool, chilling out. Got through 7 books whilst on honeymoon in Thailand last month. On holiday is the only time I read books, really.

On 11 June 2016 at 9:39 AM, Boynze said:

7 books, must have been some honeymoon...^?^

Took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:

On 11 June 2016 at 11:33 AM, wheres the pies said:

he must have fell oot wae the good lady 7 books on honeymoon amazing 

On 11 June 2016 at 0:35 PM, TDYER63 said:

Those Thai brides must be umionised now. 

:rollsmile:

To be honest, my first draft of the post above included an admittedly shitey joke about reading in between getting my Andy Cole so I expected a response!

I was there for 14 days and we had around 16 hours of awake time per day. Even allowing for a couple of pumps per day, that still leaves a fair bit of reading time. I'm not a machine FFS! ;)

I believe you, any man who talks of pumping his new bride and getting his hole in rhyming slang is a man to be trusted. 

I now think he was there for 14 days, read 16 books and begged a couple of times a day. 

4 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

To be honest, my first draft of the post above included an admittedly shitey joke about reading in between getting my Andy Cole so I expected a response!

I was there for 14 days and we had around 16 hours of awake time per day. Even allowing for a couple of pumps per day, that still leaves a fair bit of reading time. I'm not a machine FFS! ;)

23 hrs and 56 mins ?

Kevin Twaddle's biography is a decent, if somewhat depressing at times, read.

Quite how these issues can get such a hold of a person is bewildering (to the non-addictive type I guess) and how he dealt with it whilst letting a career, which could/should have yielded so much better, slip by is very sobering.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

4 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Kevin Twaddle's biography is a decent, if somewhat depressing at times, read.

Quite how these issues can get such a hold of a person is bewildering (to the non-addictive type I guess) and how he dealt with it whilst letting a career, which could/should have yielded so much better, slip by is very sobering.

So too is Leon McKenzie's (former Norwich and Palace striker) who tells in intimate detail the story of when he booked into a hotel to commit suicide before being fortuitously found before it was too late. He then moved into boxing, like his well known uncle Duke, to alleviate the boredom which exacerbated the depression. Really humbling book.

20 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

So too is Leon McKenzie's (former Norwich and Palace striker) who tells in intimate detail the story of when he booked into a hotel to commit suicide before being fortuitously found before it was too late. He then moved into boxing, like his well known uncle Duke, to alleviate the boredom which exacerbated the depression. Really humbling book.

? Willie Thorne's is similarly humbling who also speaks very candidly about his suicide attempt.

On 11 June 2016 at 9:23 AM, thewolf_1980 said:

Autobiographies and P.G. Wodehouse are my usual holiday books of choice. The latter is so easy to read and ideal for lying by the pool, chilling out. Got through 7 books whilst on honeymoon in Thailand last month. On holiday is the only time I read books, really.

If I was on my honeymoon it wouldn't be a book I'd have my head in