Strachan..out...poll - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan..out...poll

scotsgary2

19 hours ago, thplinth said:

Just reminded myself but when you compare club honours I am not sure why folk think 'maybe' Darren Fletcher rivals Barry Ferguson. The latter was a big fish in a small pond who really struggled in the short time he went into the big pond. Whereas look at Fletcher... No contest.

Is the correct answer. Ferguson struggled in a league where Fletcher has spent his entire career, he was a main stay in man Utds starting 11 for a few years, this was who United were brilliant and challenging at the top if the Euro tree.

ferguson was good and I'd have an in form Ferguson in the current set up but he was nowhere near our best players in the last 10-15 years.

Edited by vanderark14

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Is the correct answer. Ferguson struggled in a league where Fletcher has spent his entire career, he was a main stay in man Utds starting 11 for a few years, this was who United were brilliant and challenging at the top if the Euro tree.

ferguson was good and I'd have an in form Ferguson in the current set up but he was nowhere near our best players in the last 10-15 years.

last 10, no problem at all. I'll hear no more on the subject.

48 minutes ago, Radian said:

Ferguson never struggled in England, yes he didn't set the league alight but was comfortable playing there.

Also pretty sure if Ferguson had been at Man Utd not Blackburn he would have performed the same as Darren Fletcher.

Collins, Fletcher, Ferguson, McAllister - At their peak these players are all in the same bracket.

We also hav no players like this or even close to this now. Snodgrass is our only really stand out attacking minded or creative midfielder.

Towards the end of the 2008 qualifiers (home games against Ukraine, Italy) Ferguson was immense but he also almost always pulled out of friendly squads IIRC, not sure how much of this was down to his injury situations. There was also the boozegate incident. As good as he was i dont think he can be called a Scotland great. How many caps did he actually get? 

52 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Towards the end of the 2008 qualifiers (home games against Ukraine, Italy) Ferguson was immense but he also almost always pulled out of friendly squads IIRC, not sure how much of this was down to his injury situations. There was also the boozegate incident. As good as he was i dont think he can be called a Scotland great. How many caps did he actually get? 

Forty five caps and scored three goals.

Even if "boozegate" hadn't happened I think he would have retired from international football at the end of the 2009/10 season.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Forty five caps and scored three goals.

Even if "boozegate" hadn't happened I think he would have retired from international football at the end of the 2009/10 season.

Similar to Billy Bremner who also got banned for a booze incident. 

9 hours ago, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

Has anyone read what wee strachan had to say in the daily record this week from france it was depressing.

Not as depressing as the one from last week!!

I see McCall set to step down from his role with him looking set to take the Bradford job. Wonder who Strachan will bring in to replace him?

A new voice in the camp could be a good thing at the moment tbh. Strachan's a smart guy and a good manager, McCall not so much. As I recall he was mostly bought in for his 'knowledge of players in Scotland' and I'd have thought that'd now run it's course, so bringing in someone with a bit more subtlety about them might help the players with being confident in possession.

20 minutes ago, andyD said:

A new voice in the camp could be a good thing at the moment tbh. Strachan's a smart guy and a good manager, McCall not so much. As I recall he was mostly bought in for his 'knowledge of players in Scotland' and I'd have thought that'd now run it's course, so bringing in someone with a bit more subtlety about them might help the players with being confident in possession.

We could definitely use a defensive coach. What was McGhee mostly brought in for then, what's his area of expertise?

Thought I heard during Portugal v Iceland game that Lagerback was stepping down after Euros?

What did Strachan say in the Record?

I don't know about a defensive coach tbh. I don't think our defense is that bad given the lack of personnel we've got. Our woes in recent friendlies weren't really down to the defense, more down to the midfield which failed to keep the ball at all meaning we were constantly defending. Pretty much any side that just defends for 90 minutes will lose to a half decent side.

Thing is, that was with Fletcher and McArthur playing poorly in the middle, while Phillips and Maloney were basically absent. Of the 4, only 1 is at risk of making our starting 11, Maloney, but he was barely playing for Hull in the Championship, in the Permier League you can only assume he'll be even further from the starting lineup.

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

We could definitely use a defensive coach. What was McGhee mostly brought in for then, what's his area of expertise?

Thought I heard during Portugal v Iceland game that Lagerback was stepping down after Euros?

What did Strachan say in the Record?

Aye, Lagerback is retiring after the EUROs. I think he is 67. He might be interested in a part time job though?

• The friendlies were a bad idea, France and Italy were preparing for the euros and had with players hoping to get into the starting 11, our players were winding down for holidays. We would struggle against them at the best of times but in a end of season friendly??? Whoever pick those friendlies wasn`t thinking straight , we would have been better against poorer opposition where we would have had more of the play and maybe give the players a lift or better still just not played them. What did we learn from them???? Nothing we didn`t know already

On 6/14/2016 at 11:02 AM, ProudScot said:

Also pretty sure if Ferguson had been at Man Utd not Blackburn he would have performed the same as Darren Fletcher.

Collins, Fletcher, Ferguson, McAllister - At their peak these players are all in the same bracket.

We also hav no players like this or even close to this now. Snodgrass is our only really stand out attacking minded or creative midfielder.

Ferguson wasn't in that bracket IMO.  He was decent, but not as good as the other 3. 

7 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Ferguson wasn't in that bracket IMO.  He was decent, but not as good as the other 3. 

Agree and even add Lambert in there. Top players who played in top teams in top leagues winning trophies at home and in Europe. Ferguson was not even close to those 4 and was just a good SPL and half decent EPL player at best.

Gordon Strachan believes his Scotland squad have proved they are better than some of the teams at Euro 2016.

Strachan's side missed out on a place in France and the national side last competed at a finals at France 98.

"We were a unit that Poland couldn't beat, we were a unit that the Republic couldn't beat," he told BBC Scotland.

"We beat Croatia twice over the last couple of years. Things went against us, but we need to sort that out for the next campaign."

The Scots finished fourth in Group D in Euro 2016 qualification, missing out on third spot and a play-off berth.

"It's not easy to take," head coach Strachan added. "In the 10 games we played, there's only one game we could be disappointed with."

Strachan dismissed the idea that the mentality of the players could be questioned.

"Nobody can question that," he said. "Absolutely not.

"The mentality is fantastic. We just need to find the best system with the best players we've got for this next campaign."

Is he wrong about the results? Poland, Ireland, Croatia?

Why people are so doom and gloom I don't know. I think you all must be putting way too much stock in the France and Italy friendlies and ignoring the 2 wins before that and a qualifying campaign where Germany randomly rolled over for Poland and Ireland.

We're not at bad as half of you seem to think, and it's worth Strachan reminding us and the player of that, because if they and us start to thinking that we're as bad as some on here proclaim then we might as well not bother.

9 minutes ago, andyD said:

Is he wrong about the results? Poland, Ireland, Croatia?

Why people are so doom and gloom I don't know. I think you all must be putting way too much stock in the France and Italy friendlies and ignoring the 2 wins before that and a qualifying campaign where Germany randomly rolled over for Poland and Ireland.

We're not at bad as half of you seem to think, and it's worth Strachan reminding us and the player of that, because if they and us start to thinking that we're as bad as some on here proclaim then we might as well not bother.

:lol: 

Aye, very good Gordon.