EU Referendum - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

If Brexit happens then and new independence referendum is inevitable and I would yes if I was eligible to vote.

I assume that's with a vote to Remain in Scotland.

The last few decades have seen LORD Leon Brittan, LORD Kinnock , LORD Mandelson, LORD Patten, BARONESS Ashton and now LORD Jonathan Hill as the Uk's EU Commissioners.  Every one of them in the House of Lords as I said last night, none of them elected by anyone in the UK or beyond to their exulted positions. Would we accept having a parliament whether it's in Edinburgh or in London where the elected MPs sit there powerless whilst an unelected junta rule over them and us ?

And Lord Hill who we now have is a arch Tory PR advisor who studied history before working solely for the tory party before being made a Lord and now sent off to Brussels to be in charge of Europe's Economy !! No wonder we are all struggling financially. 

He has never ever stood for any election at any level yet now rules over half a billion people

Now....IF the majority in Scotland vote to remain, and IF we are dragged out of the EU because of the wishes of the rUK, I could well anticipate a growing fury inside Scotland that could....could...lead to a second independence referendum.

One of the cornerstones of the No campaign 2 years ago was that only a No vote could guarantee Scotland's place in the EU. If it turns out that because of an internal Tory squabble, Scotland is dragged out of the EU less than 24 months later, then it's not hard to imagine the reaction of the SNP government to this.

1 hour ago, buckielugger said:

And Lord Hill who we now have is a arch Tory PR advisor who studied history before working solely for the tory party before being made a Lord and now sent off to Brussels to be in charge of Europe's Economy !! No wonder we are all struggling financially. 

He has never ever stood for any election at any level yet now rules over half a billion people

And your point, which your rant never got round to sharing with us, is????????

43 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Now....IF the majority in Scotland vote to remain, and IF we are dragged out of the EU because of the wishes of the rUK, I could well anticipate a growing fury inside Scotland that could....could...lead to a second independence referendum.

One of the cornerstones of the No campaign 2 years ago was that only a No vote could guarantee Scotland's place in the EU. If it turns out that because of an internal Tory squabble, Scotland is dragged out of the EU less than 24 months later, then it's not hard to imagine the reaction of the SNP government to this.

Nail on head, brother. 

And it looks as though we're about to test that scenario in real time.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Herald editorial today saying that in that situation they will be backing Indy. 

1 minute ago, 86glebestreet said:

If there is a Brexit and it does take about 2 years to leave and Scotland goes for independence by the time they get it there might not even be an eu to get back into 

if there's a vote to leave, a leaving date will need to take account of it taking about 5 years to fulfill existing commitments which cannot be reneged upon.

Your comment about there not being an EU to get back into - there's no rational basis for that supposition - care to clarify and justify that one please??

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

if there's a vote to leave, a leaving date will need to take account of it taking about 5 years to fulfill existing commitments which cannot be reneged upon.

Your comment about there not being an EU to get back into - there's no rational basis for that supposition - care to clarify and justify that one please??

Do you think it is just  people of the U.K who are fed up with the eu,

and would you like to clarify how I was on the juice in another post 

The European Commission has a serious branding problem at the moment, that's undeniable.

But on what basis can you substantiate there not being an EU to get back into? That was your assertion.

If you weren't on the juice when you posted earlier, then I apologize. Let's not let that get in the road of a sensible debate.

Edited by Barney Rubble

9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The European Commission has a serious branding problem at the moment, that's undeniable.

But on what basis can you substantiate there not being an EU to get back into? That was your assertion.

If you weren't on the juice when you posted earlier, then I apologize. Let's not let that get in the road of a sensible debate.

Maybe it's just me, but I think if there is a Brexit some other country's people might demand a referendum, and if it is one of the bigger nations then the eu might collapse

4 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think if there is a Brexit some other country's people might demand a referendum, and if it is one of the bigger nations then the eu might collapse

It's a hypothesis, and a rational one too.

But I guess none of us can judge what the ripple effect of a no vote will be in the short term.

Long term, and I mean 10+ years, I think you may be onto something.

Edited by Barney Rubble

It looks like the leave campaign are now simply ignoring any other aspect of the EU and are going to scream 'IMMIGRANTS !' from the rooftops at each and every opportunity.

We've now reached the point of the lowest common denominator. 

I can't help feeling that this right-wing Tory squabble has become a bit of a disgrace. 

13 minutes ago, Alan said:

Rossy is that not what a Leave campaign in Netherlands would do? It's a vote winner and Netherlands have had plenty of issues that side.

Absolutely.

It's a bit of an insult to intelligent debate though, no matter who uses it. Did you listen to Farage on Andrew Marr this morning ?

51 minutes ago, Rossy said:

It looks like the leave campaign are now simply ignoring any other aspect of the EU and are going to scream 'IMMIGRANTS !' from the rooftops at each and every opportunity.

A lot of these old Berxiters will be disappointed if we leave the EU and those immigrants keep on arriving...