The Two Squads - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Two Squads

ErsatzThistle

2 minutes ago, flynnyboy said:

I'd agree ordinarily however his omission from the Celtic team has been due to long term serious injury. Snodgrass is another who has been out long term and has only played a few games since his return. Players returning from injury are completely different from selecting those out of favour. Incidentally hutton has played a lot of first team football this season. Albeit poorly. 

With Celtic struggling a bit they could be done with him remaining fit plus he is out of contract in the summer.

If he was to get injured playing for Scotland in a friendly it could have an impact on the title race and Mulgrews future. 

I just dont think he should of been included on this occasion.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, clarky1606 said:

With Celtic struggling a bit they could be done with him remaining fit plus he is out of contract in the summer.

If he was to get injured playing for Scotland in a friendly it could have an impact on the title race and Mulgrews future. 

I just dont think he should of been included on this occasion.

Respectfully disagree on these points.

Celtic's title race should not even be a consideration when picking a Scotland squad. Kinda get what you mean about his injury but every player risks injury playing for club or country. If he is deemed to be fit by our medical team then there is no issue in my mind.

The parallels with Vogts are startling.

Hopelessly out of form favourites that are long past their sell-by dates, English 2nd division players, unknowns with Scottish grannies, and an untried Old Firm teenager who must be brilliant because, hey, he plays for one of the Old Firm.

Ignore the most consistent and versatile player in the Scottish Premiership in Shinnie, and a proven consistent goalscorer in McCormack.

IMHO, Strachan is lucky to be in a job after the shambles of Georgia and throwing away what was at the very least a pretty much guaranteed 3rd place. 

I didn't renew my SSC membership last time round, and pish like this doesn't make me regret that in the slightest.

48 minutes ago, flynnyboy said:

The questioning of mulgrew's inclusion puzzles me. Been one of our most consistent performers for a couple of years now and we miss him when he ain't there. His versatility is also invaluable.

He had a stinker in Georgia at cetre half. That said he's probably one of our best options there which says it all sadly.

Frightening to think about taking that defence to Wembley!

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Judging from his twitter account, Oliver Burke seems absolutely delighted with his call up. :ok:

Sadly there's a couple of so called Scotland fans on the comments saying "who the feck are you ?", "your not Scottish." and "you don't deserve it.". A great way to welcome a new young player into the fold :rolleyes: Idiots.

Been integral part of Scotland's successful under 19s squad. Think part of reason he is called up is to convince him to commit for Scotland as i am sure he will be at a Premiership club before long. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

He had a stinker in Georgia at cetre half. That said he's probably one of our best options there which says it all sadly.

Frightening to think about taking that defence to Wembley!

Yet was very good in Dublin.

The more I look at the squads, the more I realise that we're still in the fast-lane of the long road to nowhere.

Hutton must the be the worst defender (not just right-back) in the country. Steven Fletcher ? Forrest ? A guy who failed in the SPL but plays OK against Alloa ? An 18 year old completely untried left-back ?

This is the identical, unrelenting scattergun pish that Vogts tried. 

In 5 years time we'll be ridiculing Strachan in the same way as we're doing to Vogts just now.

I'm disappointed not to see Johnny Russell in either squad (unless I've just missed him as no one else has mentioned him) as he's impressed me any time he's been given a chance and I was hoping he'd be more involved this campaign.

What a surprise - the Daily Record are bitching about there being no Rangers players picked. :wave: Fawking morons.

Anyway I'm glad Strachan has changed his mind on introducing new players.

Some might remember that just before Christmas he was quoted as saying that there would only be minimal personnel changes in 2016 and a few people on here even defended this regrettable attitude to player selection that Craig Broon would have no doubt approved of.

However, Strachan has clearly had a big re-think and is showing signs of learning from his mistakes. They aren't world beaters but the introduction of Liam Cooper, Oliver Burke, Kieran Teirney, Jamie Murphy, John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Scott Bain is step in the right direction. Let's see what they've got to offer.

If we don't try them out, then we'll never find out.

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Like Gordon Greer? 95 year old CB we really needed to saturate game time for to make sure he's ready for the 2054 world cup on the Moon when he's a decomposing corpse

He'll only be 73 for that World Cup, would still be ok for some Craig Brown squads at that age...

36 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

However, Strachan has clearly had a big re-think and is showing signs of learning from his mistakes. They aren't world beaters but the introduction of Liam Cooper, Oliver Burke, Kieran Teirney, Jamie Murphy, John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Scott Bain is step in the right direction. Let's see what they've got to offer.

If we don't try them out, then we'll never find out.

That's absolutely identical to what people said of Vogts' scattergun approach. 

Out of the names mentioned, I know nothing in the slightest about Cooper and Burke. I'm presuming that Strachan's actually seen them....I'm wondering though what magic he's seen in them to catapult them into the squad ahead of consistent performers in Shinnie and McCormack.

From the other 4, Murphy has been around and gone nowhere for years, Tierney is an untried kid who is screaming out Stephen 'if he's good enough for Celtic' Crainey, 

McGinn's selection based on a few decent games for a lower league club is frankly bizarre, and McLean isn't even the best player in Aberdeen's midfield. 

The only one from that list I'd have in the squad is Scott Bain, who has the potential to be an excellent keeper.

Don't even get me started on what Forrest... me....Hutton, Fletcher, McDonald, or Phillips have done domestically to get call-ups. 

I can't be the only sick of seeing Scotland managers name utter random dross and give them caps. 

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I hope Watt takes his chance. He would give us pace, power and skill upfront.

5 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

everything we wouldn't have got from Mccormack and Rhodes eh......:blink:

I would like JR to be in the team too but he's neither pacey or skilful to be fair.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Judging from his twitter account, Oliver Burke seems absolutely delighted with his call up. :ok:

Sadly there's a couple of so called Scotland fans on the comments saying "who the feck are you ?", "your not Scottish." and "you don't deserve it.". A great way to welcome a new young player into the fold :rolleyes: Idiots.

Why are they "so called Scotland fans" ?

14 minutes ago, Haggis McBasher said:

Why are they "so called Scotland fans" ?

Because an eighteen year old player who's overjoyed at his first Scotland call up doesn't deserve such completely unwarranted, moronic abuse like that. 

Do you agree with what they were directing at Burke ? Thankfully he took no notice of them.

I think I'm more shocked to see the dearth of talent available to us, especially in defence.

Would rather McGinn wasn't called up just now and as much as it pains me, Wallace should be in the squad.

The Tom Cairney omission I think shows he has either refused or Strachan is closing the door on him.

what McCormack and Rhodes have to do to get in the squad I really don't know.

really concerned at how these two squads are looking.

43 minutes ago, Rossy said:

That's absolutely identical to what people said of Vogts' scattergun approach. 

Out of the names mentioned, I know nothing in the slightest about Cooper and Burke. I'm presuming that Strachan's actually seen them....I'm wondering though what magic he's seen in them to catapult them into the squad ahead of consistent performers in Shinnie and McCormack.

From the other 4, Murphy has been around and gone nowhere for years, Tierney is an untried kid who is screaming out Stephen 'if he's good enough for Celtic' Crainey, 

McGinn's selection based on a few decent games for a lower league club is frankly bizarre, and McLean isn't even the best player in Aberdeen's midfield. 

The only one from that list I'd have in the squad is Scott Bain, who has the potential to be an excellent keeper.

Don't even get me started on what Forrest... me....Hutton, Fletcher, McDonald, or Phillips have done domestically to get call-ups. 

I can't be the only sick of seeing Scotland managers name utter random dross and give them caps. 

We have to try Liam Cooper because he's a central defender and there is pretty much no-one else to pick from. 

I'm not sentimental at all and fully agree with you that Hutton, Whittaker, Brown, Mulgrew and Forrest ideally wouldn't be in the team. Although with the shortage of right backs I guess I can understand why Hutton and Whittaker had to be included.

The omission of Tom Cairney, Jordan Rhodes, Graeme Shinnie and Johnny Russell disappointed me. Whilst the absence through injury of James McArthur (Palace have went downhill without him in their team) and Callum Paterson is unfortunate.

At least Strachan resisted the daft calls from some to call up Donald Love - "coz he plays fir Man Yoo so he must be good !".

Tell you what. Why don't you name an alternative squad of about eighteen or twenty players that you would have picked had you been the manager ? 

7 hours ago, Sheach said:

The 21's have qualifiers that week. Have to assume that is why there is no Cummings, Nicholson or Walker. 

Makes sense for Strachan to get a closer look at players who are over-age for the 21's this time.

Delighted to see McGinn called up. Liam Cooper has played a lot for Leeds this season. 

Absolutely gutted for Callum Paterson missing out, surely his time will come at the end of season matches. 

Walker is too old for the under 21's, just back from injury so if he keeps it up he will get a chance in a few months. Nicholson is in the under 21's but I don't think he is good enough for the full squad yet. 

Amazed by shinnies omission, I suppose we are quite well off for left backs but he has shown himself to be a very versatile player and surely deserved a chance. 

40 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Because an eighteen year old player who's overjoyed at his first Scotland call up doesn't deserve such completely unwarranted, moronic abuse like that. 

Do you agree with what they were directing at Burke ? Thankfully he took no notice of them.

I agree with you, it's bawbag behaviour.

Sounds like bawbag behaviour from people who also happen to be Scotland fans though.