KILLIE FANS - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The 70s?

There was a six year period where Ayr finished above Killie, their most successful time under Ally McLeod.

They've only been Ayrshire's top team 20 times since the club was founded in 1910.

But as for being the 'big' team ? They were still just the wee team having a decent spell while the big team were a bit mince.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/02/2016 at 8:45 PM, Toepoke said:

Years         Manager             Pld    W    Win %

2010-11    Mixu Paatelainen     34    15    44.1%

1992-94    Tommy Burns        112    48    42.9%

Those two caught my eye. Good stats anyway.

Although he was very much "Mr Celtic" to the core, Tommy Burns always spoke very highly of the Kilmarnock players and fans from his time there. Could he perhaps have taken Killie to greater heights if Celtic had looked elsewhere for a manager in 1994 ?

Why did big Mixu leave Killie again ? I remember his Killie team being very combative and unafraid of the Old Firm.

42 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Although he was very much "Mr Celtic" to the core, Tommy Burns always spoke very highly of the Kilmarnock players and fans from his time there. Could he perhaps have taken Killie to greater heights if Celtic had looked elsewhere for a manager in 1994 ?

Why did big Mixu leave Killie again ? I remember his Killie team being very combative and unafraid of the Old Firm.

Loved TB, it's largely thanks to him that the club has spent over 20 years in the top league. Was gutted when he left but I think his managerial limitations were starting to appear (you've got to note that many of his wins were in the First Division). If he'd stayed in the job we were signing Pat Bonner and Charlie Nicholas in the close season.

Mixu left to take up the Finland job.

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM, one t in scotland said:

Kilmarnock were in the bottom tier of Scottish football not that ago and were absolutely rank throughout the entire 80's. Or did the bank write off these seasons from the records too in a 'good deal' for KFC historians?

I'm 31 and Killie have been in the top tier for 2/3rds of my life with no interupton. 

Not many sides been in the SPL the past two decades. 

Aberdeen, Celtic and Motherwell. 

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Loved TB, it's largely thanks to him that the club has spent over 20 years in the top league. Was gutted when he left but I think his managerial limitations were starting to appear (you've got to note that many of his wins were in the First Division). If he'd stayed in the job we were signing Pat Bonner and Charlie Nicholas in the close season.

Mixu left to take up the Finland job.

I would take Bonner and Nicholas right now.

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Loved TB, it's largely thanks to him that the club has spent over 20 years in the top league.

Me too. I might be a bit hypocrital in slagging all the Princess Di type grief junkies greeting when 'celebs' die, as I cried when TB passed. Tbf I had briefly met and chatted with the man, and you always feel a connection when you are seeing footballers in the flesh every week - clapping, singing, getting a wave back etc.

That reminds me of the time I went to a game at Rugby Park in the mid 70s.  It was between Kilmarnock and the Scotland U21 team - might actually have been U23s then thinking about it. 

It must have been an international break - possibly home Internationals - as I think the Scotland team were training at Seamill.  I'm pretty sure they did some sort of training session on the pitch beforehand.  I was in the old kids enclosure in front of the main stand and I remember climbing up into the stand to get autographs.

Tommy Burns was playing for the U21/U23 and I ran on the pitch after the game and got his autograph, I remember him being very pleasant.

Always had a lot of time for Tommy Burns one of the genuinely good guys in football.

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

Always had a lot of time for Tommy Burns one of the genuinely good guys in football.

tommy burns and roy aitken went to the away end to applaud the celtic fans

the day they through a c.s canister into the terracing at easter road  

55 minutes ago, dan cake said:

tommy burns and roy aitken went to the away end to applaud the celtic fans

the day they through a c.s canister into the terracing at easter road  

In terms of bearing a petty grudge for thirty years, I've got to say that's pretty impressive.

Anyway, didn't the rubbish Celtic Casuals cock that up as the wind blew the CS gas back into them if something. 

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

In terms of bearing a petty grudge for thirty years, I've got to say that's pretty impressive.

Anyway, didn't the rubbish Celtic Casuals cock that up as the wind blew the CS gas back into them if something. 

people could have died that day

nothing petty about that

17 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm 31 and Killie have been in the top tier for 2/3rds of my life with no interupton. 

Not many sides been in the SPL the past two decades. 

Aberdeen, Celtic and Motherwell. 

Actually, Aberdeen and Motherwell have both finished in what would ordinarily be relegation positions, so in the last 20 years only Celtic, Killie and United have not finished in the drop zone.  And that could well be only Celtic by May...

32 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Actually, Aberdeen and Motherwell have both finished in what would ordinarily be relegation positions, so in the last 20 years only Celtic, Killie and United have not finished in the drop zone.  And that could well be only Celtic by May...

Rangers?