Austerity! "i'd Pay More Tax If I Could" - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Austerity! "i'd Pay More Tax If I Could"

On 08 February 2016 at 5:23 PM, Scunnered said:

Granted!

Although if you're looking for the good guys amongst the John Swinneys of the world you're going to come up empty handed. Both you and Plinthy baby have both described me as the far left today, I wouldn't say that's accurate. I've always described myself as a "realistic communist".

I certainly don't hate employers... I've been one, and will be again.

How would you know. I willing to bet you don't know one single other John Swinney!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he was meaning folk called John Swinney as opposed to folk with other names but the same economic theory or soemthing, I've not even read the exchange but that would be my guess on what he meant, however this is without any knowledge of the words used or the context they were used in beyond the quote above.

Let's see how i did guessing the meaning almost completely blind versus someoene involved in the conversation.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

I don't think he was meaning folk called John Swinney as opposed to folk with other names but the same economic theory or soemthing, I've not even read the exchange but that would be my guess on what he meant, however this is without any knowledge of the words used or the context they were used in beyond the quote above.

Let's see how i did guessing the meaning almost completely blind versus someoene involved in the conversation.

Are you rippin the pish Phart?? :lol:

4 hours ago, Scunnered said:

If the Scottish Government working primarily for horrible bastards like Alan (no offence) doesn't make you question them...  I fear nothing will.

I prefer "honest" . No crocodile tears over my keyboard over "social injustice" as I book another city break or check out nearest artisan bakeries.

7 minutes ago, Alan said:

I prefer "honest" . No crocodile tears over my keyboard over "social injustice" as I book another city break or check out nearest artisan bakeries.

Indeed. If you're lucky enough to have enough money to go on holidays then be happy for your lot and stop talking about social justice. Hypocrite. 

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Indeed. If you're lucky enough to have enough money to go on holidays then be happy for your lot and stop talking about social justice. Hypocrite. 

And yourself and the other robots can join me for consistency. Social justice no more!

Alan you'd cry if i came round to your house and took everything you had at the injustice of someone just being able to come in and take what you earned. suddenly social injustices would be a great problem.

What are laws but a set of agreed upon rules for the betterment of society.

I can imagine Alan loving his business booming and getting another city break as pogroms went on around Europe in the 18th/19th/20th century.

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Alan, whos allowed to talk about social justice? Assuming you acknowledge that this is an issue in a time of class politics (austerity) 

There is no such thing as class politics in Scotland at the moment. Unfortunately its mainly Nationalist v Unionist with others squeezed out the debate or consumed within the 2 blocks.

Scottish Parliament has chance to offset funding cuts but SNP refuse to act. All the anti-austerity rhetoric is insincere from party and supporters. " Austerity! What's in it for me?" It's used to forge grievance and blame.

5 minutes ago, Alan said:

There is no such thing as class politics in Scotland at the moment. Unfortunately its mainly Nationalist v Unionist with others squeezed out the debate or consumed within the 2 blocks.

Scottish Parliament has chance to offset funding cuts but SNP refuse to act. All the anti-austerity rhetoric is insincere from party and supporters. " Austerity! What's in it for me?" It's used to forge grievance and blame.

I disagree, austerity as a policy is a form of class politics and it's been delivered all over Europe and different parts of the world. 

You may have a point about the SNP and some of the parties supporters. But you seem more interested in that rather than discussing the wider issue of austerity. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

You may have a point about the SNP and some of the parties supporters. But you seem more interested in that rather than discussing the wider issue of austerity

That's the gist of my thread. ^.

The hypocrisy of people who cry about austerity but in reality in don't care and don't want to help by paying more tax.

7 hours ago, Alan said:

Don't go off thread about military spending. I have had tax cuts in one form or other (council tax freeze, stamp duty cut when I bought my house, income tax personal allowance raised) over a 5 year period from both governments! Thankyou Conservatives, Liberal Democrats and SNP.

I could pay more tax. Like most I don't want to and the way the next 5 year period is going I won't have to. Makes me think what's the point in voting in Holyrood elections? Nothing is going to negatively impact me.

I think your vote is pretty much wasted anyway. As you say, you might as well not bother.

19 minutes ago, Alan said:

That's the gist of my thread. ^.

The hypocrisy of people who cry about austerity but in reality in don't care and don't want to help by paying more tax.

See this is an example of your sophistry.

The only option apart from austerity being the raising of personal income tax. You create a false dichotomy. There are many methods of not applying austerity which don't involve personal taxation. Getting rid of corporate welfare. Reducing spending on vanity military projects. to name a couple. 

However for political advantage Tories want SNP to try and mitigate the Tory cuts by lettng scots be taxed twice for the same services everyone else gets taxed once for, and if you don't like it you're a hypocrite. It annoys me people think i'm stupid enough not to see right through this nonsense.

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, Alan said:

There is probably only one way to change that. That's by getting the separatist bit out of the way first, which is probably only going to happen with Independence. Then we can get back to arguing about class politics again.  So, the sooner we get independence the sooner we can get back to normal. You might as well just accept it. the Independence issue isn't going away any time soon.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

There is probably only one way to change that. That's by getting the separatist bit out of the way first, which is probably only going to happen with Independence. Then we can get back to arguing about class politics again.  So, the sooner we get independence the sooner we can get back to normal. You might as well just accept it. the Independence issue isn't going away any time soon.

No it won't. I accept that. It won't harm me though. Another 5 years of tax decreases will help me. Economic case for independence is worse than ever. Scotland still plods on. SNP now arguing against Smith Commission shows the current UK setup works on our favour. In 5 years time I'll move to East Renfrewshire or East Dunbartonshire for better schools as I will be able to afford to live there so educational lottery I can control. Outside emergency treatment I have private healthcare so NHS failings are limited. I benefit from free prescription charges and dentist my parents benefit from free public transport. All policies we could contribute to. Police failings, National ID database, Named Person scheme are not popular with me but I'll get over it. Child care and failing system which does not allow public and private places to be readily combined is a ball ache but not a show super. More powers for SNP = more tough choices and the scandals and cronyism will increase like all dominant political parties. And Scotland plods on. Centralised, conservative, limited debate but nothing will really change in 5 years.

Had it been Yes we would this very minute be living anti austerity. We would be doing something that is for sure, including helping the north sea layoffs...

But it was a No so now are living on a tory budget that they are cutting and it is austerity or fall into our incredibly obvious trap of raising taxes to offset all our cuts.

And somehow this is being portrayed as the SNP talking about being anti austerity while enacting it? The country voted No. The SNp are not pulling the strings. It is the kunts you decided were better that are still running things. Alan and his mob.

Lap up Alan. He is Mr Austerity. You voted for him so here he is. Doing what he does. :)

Edited by thplinth

22 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Had it been Yes we would this very minute be living anti austerity. We would be doing something that is for sure, including helping the north sea layoffs...

That's what I was telling folk during the referendum, I genuinely believed the SNP could have been defeated in the first general election and we could have a fairer country. I don't think I could believe that in a referendum in the near future.

4 hours ago, Alan said:

No it won't. I accept that. It won't harm me though. Another 5 years of tax decreases will help me. Economic case for independence is worse than ever. Scotland still plods on. SNP now arguing against Smith Commission shows the current UK setup works on our favour. In 5 years time I'll move to East Renfrewshire or East Dunbartonshire for better schools as I will be able to afford to live there so educational lottery I can control. Outside emergency treatment I have private healthcare so NHS failings are limited. I benefit from free prescription charges and dentist my parents benefit from free public transport. All policies we could contribute to. Police failings, National ID database, Named Person scheme are not popular with me but I'll get over it. Child care and failing system which does not allow public and private places to be readily combined is a ball ache but not a show super. More powers for SNP = more tough choices and the scandals and cronyism will increase like all dominant political parties. And Scotland plods on. Centralised, conservative, limited debate but nothing will really change in 5 years.

You sound like my inlaws. Thank fufkk im getting divorced.

4 hours ago, Alan said:

Sounds to me like you have just come to the conclusion that you have very few reasons for NOT voting SNP. You feel like you really should be voting SNP in May but you're really not happy with that idea. What a dilema.

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Sounds to me like you have just come to the conclusion that you have very few reasons for NOT voting SNP. You feel like you really should be voting SNP in May but you're really not happy with that idea. What a dilema.

That's your nationalist thinking which skews your judgement. Nationalism is damaging Scotland. Luckily I can personally limit the damage.

12 hours ago, Alan said:

You have the audacity to call the  SNP supporters  'robots' when you are aspiring to a leafy suburb in East Renfrewshire  to join the hoards of ladies who lunch and who would stab their granny for a place at a good ( free) school for their wee darlings. 

For the avoidance of doubt ,  i dont think for one minute all the people who live in East Ren are like that however  i think the  point is clear and IMO Alan is just a more arrogant , selfish form of 'robot' .