Austerity! "i'd Pay More Tax If I Could" - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Austerity! "i'd Pay More Tax If I Could"

1 hour ago, Alan said:

The exam results in Glasgow Council are poor. Why should I put up with this when I can improve my childs chances? Education in Scotland is a postcode lottery with little variety or choice. Kids in deprived areas in London from backgrounds that are historically underachieving are beating Scottish results.

Still who wants to pay more tax? Not many.

Firstly,  I have no problem at all with people trying to do the best for their children's  education Alan, who on earth wouldnt. The general point i was making is that there is more than one  way to display herd mentality and IMO you display the classic signs of a middle class  wanabee.  I have no problem with this also ,  we cannot live in the dark ages,  i just find it a little hypocriitcal  that you  accuse  others of being robots when you are aspiring to the 2.4 children / leafy suburb/ bmw in the drive mentality.  Is  that herd mentality more worthy than  someones politcal mentality ? I have no idea where you get your information on educational results, no doubt many of the right wing papers you read. I dont think anyone thinks  scottish education is perfect , including the government,  who are  focusing on improving this. I have numerous english friends who feel the education system there is failing their children,   but lets just blame the SNP as it is so much easier.  Despite the criticism you receive  on here i  genuinely try to be open minded  and welcome any worthy opinions  regardless of the posters political persuasion .  I am ,by my own admission, nowhere close to  the  political knowledge of many of the posters on here and try to use  the board as a learning tool but your constant carping about the  SNP  really does  negate any valid points you  may be  making. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TDYER63 I'd love a BMW. I look at school results published by Scottish government and comparisons with schools in rUK. After 9 years it's still all about where you are born. I blame SNP as they control education in Scotland. No one wants to pay more tax to improve it.

1 hour ago, Scunnered said:

I don't want a Labour government :lol: I want a Corbyn led Labour government. The Scottish equivalent would be a Richard Leonard led Scottish Labour government in Holyrood... What a bounce that will be when that beautiful is sent to Holyrood in May!

Of course I believe Corbyn can be PM, I believed he'd be Labour leader when others scoffed.

That's even more short termist and selfish. Poor old Jeezer isn't going to be around too much longer before he starts forgetting his name and why he's getting out at Westminster tube station.

Where will your Labour party be then.

;)

10 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Alan the Thatcherite whose solution to every problem we face in Scotland is apparently throw money at it by raising taxes.

And you wonder why some think you are insincere on here.

I respectfully disagree. The SNP and supporters have portrayed themselves against austerity and champions of social justice. Scotland is falsely portrayed as more left and egalitarian. There was a chance to mitigate the public funding reductions and people do not want to pay more tax to do this neither do SNP. That is insincere. Scotland is not more left or egalitarian and people don't want to pay tax.

47 minutes ago, Marky said:

That's even more short termist and selfish. Poor old Jeezer isn't going to be around too much longer before he starts forgetting his name and why he's getting out at Westminster tube station.

Where will your Labour party be then.

;)

What a bizarre angle :lol:. It's original, I'll give you that. You'll be parking billboards outside my work telling me I hate my kids next :lol:

What a bizarre angle :lol:. It's original, I'll give you that. You'll be parking billboards outside my work telling me I hate my kids next :lol:

:lol:

i was being a trifle facetious with that one but there is still an element of truth behind it. Jezzer is hardly the future of the Labour Party is he? 

4 hours ago, Alan said:

TDYER63 I'd love a BMW. I look at school results published by Scottish government and comparisons with schools in rUK. After 9 years it's still all about where you are born. I blame SNP as they control education in Scotland. No one wants to pay more tax to improve it.

Not convinced comparing results from one  country''s curriculum with another is  a fair  comparison. I dont have the info you are using about where you are born that  influences  the results  but i would make a pretty fair assumption that  its the affluent areas  that do best.  That is always going to be the case due to various reasons that you dont need me to explain.  IMO education starts in  the  home  and unfortunately these days  there are  too many children  being  let down. You cannot blame any government for that and i include westminster.  My oldest daughter attended ,at best ,an extremely average  school and is now in her probationary year as an English teacher.  

As for tax, without a shadow of a doubt i would choose to  pay extra  to improve things such as schooling.  But that is because i can afford to ,  not everyone can.

i am sure you will achieve your BMW, i have yet to meet a Tory who hasnt. 

11 hours ago, Marky said:

Jezzer is hardly the future of the Labour Party is he? 

I don't see why not?  The peoples champion's leadership has brought thousands of new members to the Labour party, the vast majority of them are young.  Jeremy's leadership is as much about reforming the Labour Party as it is about the 2020 election.  The media are painting the narrative that when Jeremey is removed for whatever reason, a "moderate" (Evil Blairite ) will be elected as leader and normal service will resume.  I don't think that will happen, the party membership are behind Jeremy and I believe another progressive will be elected in his place.

Edited by Scunnered

You are reforming the party back to what it was like before the Blairites took over. Yes I remember it well those glory days when you lost about 5 general elections in a row....and then sold your soul to the Blairites and sold out your membership for a taste of the royal jelly and power.

What you going to do this time when you find yourself unelectable again? Blair II of course. You say it won't happen but lets see what the mood is like after 20 years of Tory rule during which you lot examine your naval and talk a huge amount of bollocks while getting cuffed at the ballot box ever few years.

It all has a weird sense of deja vu. All we need is a new Thatcher to emerge from the Tory ranks as leader. I have a feeling who that might be but we will see.

ps Corbyn is almost invisible it seems. What is he up to?

Met with a friend of mine for coffee this morning and as usual conversation turned to politics. He suggested that in the same way that middle England needs to move on from voting conservative for there to be a fairer Britain, Scotland needs to move on from voting SNP for there to be a fairer Scotland... Where we disagree is that he thinks this should be after independence. I asked if he'd ever said at a branch meeting that they need to stop supporting the party, he said he'll invite me along if he ever gets the guts to do so :lol:.

5 hours ago, Scunnered said:

I don't see why not?  The peoples champion's leadership has brought thousands of new members to the Labour party, the vast majority of them are young.  Jeremy's leadership is as much about reforming the Labour Party as it is about the 2020 election.  The media are painting the narrative that when Jeremey is removed for whatever reason, a "moderate" (Evil Blairite ) will be elected as leader and normal service will resume.  I don't think that will happen, the party membership are behind Jeremy and I believe another progressive will be elected in his place.

That's the thing Scunny.

Let's say Jeremy has reformed the party (which I'm yet to be convinced about) and as you say, it can't be argued that in recent times he's rallied the membership, but what he fundamentally hasn't done yet (IMO) is captured the imagination and support of the electorate.

You rightly claimed credit the other day by saying you predicted he would become leader when most thought that notion ridiculous, but the membership of the Labour Party is but a drop in the ocean in comparison to the wider UK electorate, ESPECIALLY in England. If Jezzer had any sense he'd back independence and then run for Leader of the Scottish Labourt Party. THEN, he might have a chance of success that I simply don't believe he'll get at Westminster. ;)

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It would appear that Welsh Labour aren't quite as daft as Scottish Labour.

Taffy Tories.

Welsh public services aren't as heavily affected as they are in Scotland.  For one there isn't a Council Tax freeze, so the local authorities are able to offset their cuts from the Welsh assembly by raising Council Tax.  Funding to Public Services was cut by 2% in Wales, it was almost double that in Scotland.

But you're right, Welsh Labour seem to be competent in Government.  We should be envious:

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-7f17-Wales-rejects-the-Trade-Union-Bill/#.Vsl0P5OLTVo

2 hours ago, Scunnered said:

Welsh public services aren't as heavily affected as they are in Scotland.  For one there isn't a Council Tax freeze, so the local authorities are able to offset their cuts from the Welsh assembly by raising Council Tax.  Funding to Public Services was cut by 2% in Wales, it was almost double that in Scotland.

But you're right, Welsh Labour seem to be competent in Government.  We should be envious:

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-7f17-Wales-rejects-the-Trade-Union-Bill/#.Vsl0P5OLTVo

Is Corbyn proposing an income tax increase for England? 

He favours a 50p tax rate for high earners and raising corporation tax. Or as the Telegraph called it, "an attack on British values".

Is he going to increase council tax down there? This is one of Labour's big problems. The voters don't know what they stand for anymore. Kez wants to increase council tax and income tax. It might turn out to be the greatest ever tactical ploy used, going into an election. Time will tell, I suppose?