Gordon Smith's Pyramid - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Smith's Pyramid

The group sections of the league cup was a flop in the 80's, crowds were pathetic they will be even worse nowadays. It'll be no more than a youth tournament.

A 16 team league will have a split so there can be 4 old firm games. That seems to be the Scottish Leagues priority I'm afraid.

Edited by Och Aye

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cheque dropping is the most important thing. Clubs are run very prudently with most at break even. They do not have money to burn and cannot lose revenue. All these ideas are interesting but until anyone costs then then it's just got air.

If people are talking about radical changes then our big problem is we don't have enough big teams. Mergers and franchises won't happen. How about bringing in some new clubs say one from Belfast and one from Dublin? Would double tv audience with potential to create one club cities. Big question on how to handle the existing clubs though.

How about bringing in some new clubs say one from Belfast and one from Dublin?

UEFA might have something to say about that!

And anyone from Belfast or Dublin who's interested in Scottish football already has a team to support anyway...

Edited by Toepoke

The group sections of the league cup was a flop in the 80's, crowds were pathetic they will be even worse nowadays. It'll be no more than a youth tournament.

A 16 team league will have a split so there can be 4 old firm games. That seems to be the Scottish Leagues priority I'm afraid.

Yip, this why Scottish ftbaw is utter baws, this reliance on the old firm, the self interest. there will be 4 games guaranteed games a season in any shake up that's for sure,for ultimately a bigot fest and relatively poor football.

We def need more teams, that has to be a priority- grow the game, spread the wealth. If that means less self indulged old firm games then so be it.

I liked the suggestion for a 14 team division with 3 rounds of fixtures =39 games.

The top 7 after 28 games could get the extra home game as a little reward....

The Old Firm could get a guaranteed 3 games then along with a highly like cup clash or two.

So I'll now suggest a top two divisions of 14 with two nth & sth divisions of 14, all playing 39 lge games

That would require 14 new clubs. How about 2 from each of the three junior lges and 4 each from the Highland andlLowland lges..

Edited by buckielugger

I can't see them going for a system that could mean playing twice at ibrox and once at parkhead or vice versa, sounds silly, but it's true!

They'll be shiting themselves at the precedent that the lowest seeded team gets shafted for post-split fixtures if Rangers come up. There could easily be a situation where the OF games should be split 3/1 home/away.

Aye looks minted when a team finishes 7th has more points than the teams that finish 5th+6th

That's what happens if you play against weaker teams. One season Caley won every game post split and finished 7th with more points than 4th. We wouldn't have had that many points had we been top 6. It adds excitement to the middle of the table and gives you something to aim for.

That's what happens if you play against weaker teams. One season Caley won every game post split and finished 7th with more points than 4th. We wouldn't have had that many points had we been top 6. It adds excitement to the middle of the table and gives you something to aim for.

No it looks ridiculous looking in. Teams should play every team in a league the same amount of times, that makes it fair.

No it looks ridiculous looking in. Teams should play every team in a league the same amount of times, that makes it fair.

Looks ridiculous to who?

I'd rather some excitement in the middle of the table and in the run in to the split it defienetly adds that where you would have run of the mill mid table games without it.

I think "the split" works.

Teams fight to get into Top 6 right up to 30th game of season.

Then you have Top 6 playing each other again picking points off each other. Imagine Aberdeen still challenging Celtic at this point. Couple seasons ago Aberdeen v Motherwell for 2nd was huge.

Then you have Bottom 6 fighting against relegation with the classic "6 pointers". For my team Partick Thistle our past 2 seasons have went to 2nd last game v Hearts away with last season 3rd last game I think.

Well for those who DO like split system, would they like a 14 team division which splits into two 7s.
It gives the advantages of the later season excitement for more teams plus ensures equal number of home and away fixtures that others have wanted.
26 games for the full division plus 12 games in the split sections.
Of course a team will sit out two of the 14 rounds of post split fixtures but that's fairly common with weather postponements etc anyway.

It would be arranged that the teams in 7th & 8th at the split would sit out the final fixture day being the teams least likely to be involved in relegation or title issues.

Edited by buckielugger

Well for those who DO like split system, would they like a 14 team division which splits into two 7s.

It gives the advantages of the later season excitement for more teams plus ensures equal number of home and away fixtures that others have wanted.

26 games for the full division plus 12 games in the split sections.

Of course a team will sit out two of the 14 rounds of post split fixtures but that's fairly common with weather postponements etc anyway.

It would be arranged that the teams in 7th & 8th at the split would sit out the final fixture day being the teams least likely to be involved in relegation or title issues.

Couple of flaws.

One team never sits out for a postponed fixture,it tends to be both teams.

Fixtures very rarely get postponed due to weather conditions in April/May.

12 games post split is far too many in my humble opinion. Imagine missing out on 7th on goal difference in mid February and then having another 3 months in the bottom half - safe from relegation but cant go any higher.

I sort of agree but that is one of the big plus points put forward for a bigger league. Meaningless games to blood youngsters.

For me I like the current system, especially now we have the playoffs. 14 teams would be the absolute maximum IMO

Actually it should be split 6-8 for a 14 team league. Top 6 have a couple less games but most of them will make up for that with at least 2 games in Europe

Edited by dipped flake