Tunnocks - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flumax

Take away politics. I think this is odd. If it wasn't a Scottish product I doubt it would get any traditional sentiment coverage such as the commonwealth games ceremony. Same as irn bru. I doubt Cadbury get the same level of nostalgia as tunnock.

Good luck to them. I tend to buy things I like and need. Tunnocks products are neither. Can't see sales increasing south of the border that much. Maybe overseas.

:-)):-)) Shortbread tin nationalism at its best.

FFS A company re-brands to capture a larger market. Its not like others haven't done it. Well except SSE, BA, BP and BAe off the top of my head.

Serious question: Is it ok to damage somebody's livelihood because of their political beliefs? YOU BET.

The 'Scottish ' brand carries a lot of weight abroad and is generally seen as a sign of quality.

Scottish whisky, Scottish salmon, Scottish beef etc.

At a time when quality brands all over Europe are desperate to have a 'local' stamp that defines a premium product....Champagne, Parma ham etc....Tunnock have decided to market themselves as generically 'British'....a rather vague outdated term..., simply because of their family's narrow-minded political beliefs.

They're entitled to do it of course, but it's rather sad and pathetic to see a traditional Scottish company effectively admit that they're ashamed to be Scottish.

The 'Scottish ' brand carries a lot of weight abroad and is generally seen as a sign of quality.

Scottish whisky, Scottish salmon, Scottish beef etc.

At a time when quality brands all over Europe are desperate to have a 'local' stamp that defines a premium product....Champagne, Parma ham etc....Tunnock have decided to market themselves as generically 'British'....a rather vague outdated term..., simply because of their family's narrow-minded political beliefs.

They're entitled to do it of course, but it's rather sad and pathetic to see a traditional Scottish company effectively admit that they're ashamed to be Scottish.

I was just thinking much the same - my wife's just back from the supermarket and the Scottish oatcakes and Scottish crumpets she bought have the saltire and either 'Produced in Scotland' and 'Best of Scotland' prominently displayed.

The bigoted old goat will hopefully see his sales drop on both sides of the border.

Tunnock's could also get sued by whichever company owns the intellectual property rights for the 'Great British Bake off' brand.

Edited by neilser

He a feckin auld Tory golf knitter wearing rolls Royce driving qunt.The notion the auld fecker still goes in at 6am makes me laugh my nuts off.

BTW you supermarket buying Tunnocks arseholes should try the cakes out of their poxy unionist cake shop,you could smash bullet proof glass with their iced ginger slices and take out ISIS by dropping two Chelsea buns and half a dozen sultana scones on the beardy sandal wearing English bastards.

Let's not talk about the barely above minimum wage the absolute feckin diamond geezer Boyd pays his workers,he's a modern day Robin Hood if ye olden days Robin Hood was a qunt who overcharged his customers for crap biscuits and paid his merry men (and mostly women ) shite wages.

Do you know three (maybe four) years ago at Christmas he paid all his workers a £10 bonus for every year they had worked there ???

There was wee wifeys doing kneeslides into Corals to play the roulette machines because they got £270 extra in their wages for their 27 years of shift work.

My mother in law paid extra into her pension for the last five years before she retired from Tunnocks after 22 years service but a few weeks before she was about to retire the company it was through went tits up and she got £31 a month pension.

Might be the basis for a claim by GBBO against Tunnock's for passing off - the old duffer has effectively said that there's a link with the Great British Bake off and they're using the same sort of twee imagery in their ad as Bake Off uses. Worth a lawyer's letter or two anyway...

Edited by neilser

He a feckin auld Tory golf knitter wearing rolls Royce driving qunt.The notion the auld fecker still goes in at 6am makes me laugh my nuts off.

BTW you supermarket buying Tunnocks arseholes should try the cakes out of their poxy unionist cake shop,you could smash bullet proof glass with their iced ginger slices and take out ISIS by dropping two Chelsea buns and half a dozen sultana scones on the beardy sandal wearing English bastards.

Let's not talk about the barely above minimum wage the absolute feckin diamond geezer Boyd pays his workers,he's a modern day Robin Hood if ye olden days Robin Hood was a qunt who overcharged his customers for crap biscuits and paid his merry men (and mostly women ) shite wages.

Do you know three (maybe four) years ago at Christmas he paid all his workers a £10 bonus for every year they had worked there ???

There was wee wifeys doing kneeslides into Corals to play the roulette machines because they got £270 extra in their wages for their 27 years of shift work.

My mother in law paid extra into her pension for the last five years before she retired from Tunnocks after 22 years service but a few weeks before she was about to retire the company it was through went tits up and she got £31 a month pension.

Never mind that pish! His biscuit wrappers aren't Scottish anymore!

Thank f**k that sh**e isn't branded as Scottish any more. You're right about 'Scottish' being a sign of quality all over the world and that stuff certainly isn't quality. It's plastic chemical sh**e. I think the coconut bits on their caramel wafer 'may' be actual cocnut but I'm not committing to that. The 'chocolate' they use barely qualifies to use the term under European laws and lets not start on the cream.

Good news for brand Scotland.

Thank f**k that sh**e isn't branded as Scottish any more. You're right about 'Scottish' being a sign of quality all over the world and that stuff certainly isn't quality. It's plastic chemical sh**e. I think the coconut bits on their caramel wafer 'may' be actual cocnut but I'm not committing to that. The 'chocolate' they use barely qualifies to use the term under European laws and lets not start on the cream.

Good news for brand Scotland.

You don't know your wafers from your logs.

I agree with the above.

An Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar.

An air of sectarian hatred and Nationalism prevents them from enjoying a pint.

Assumes that if you're English or Irish you won't support independence which is obviously not the case.

Anyhow I think it's an odd decision by Tunnock, as posters have said produce from Scotland has a good reputation abroad in terms of quality and I can't see this gimmick boasting sales, "oh it's not Scottish, it's British - that must mean it's good so I'll buy it now" I don't think it will make much difference in England but sales in Scotland might dip.