Veggies / Vegans - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sister-in-law became vegetarian after visiting me and the missus in Cairo during the 1980s. Anyone who eats meat should witness its slaughter and butchery, imv, and not much came vacuum packed in Egypt back then.

S-in-L's fella is great at cooking very tasty veggie meals and I suspect that's the key. Most shop-bought ready-mades seem pretty poor, although Glamorgan sausages are good. Having said that, just had Xmas with them and the Quorn roast was fine.

Socially, I suppose the main problem is that carnivores can go round to a veggie household for a meal, no problem, but have to put a bit of thought into it when being visited. Also some countries are easier than others - Japan must be a real bugger for vegetarians.

:lol: They would.

Not only have they lost their sense of humour, but they also do far more than their fair share of farting.

You need to meet a better class of vegetarian.

You're right about the farting though. I had Hans Blix at the door with a search warrant the other day....

All vegetarians? I think that's about 5000 posts and that's the first time I've mentioned it, and in response to a direct question on the subject.

A very lazy and cliched observation. Funnily, I do see an awful lot of meat eaters on here very abusive towards vegetarians and vegetarianism. My advice would be if you don't like vegetarianism, don't do it.

This!

All vegetarians? I think that's about 5000 posts and that's the first time I've mentioned it, and in response to a direct question on the subject.

Actually you've mentioned it quite a few times. Looking at your posting history you like to remind us about once a year.

http://taboard.com/archive/index.php?showtopic=139215&page=2#entry2201028 2012

http://taboard.com/archive/index.php?showtopic=148557&page=2#entry2489943 2013

http://taboard.com/archive/index.php?showtopic=149288#entry2520462 2014

To be fair you missed out on 2015, but snuck in an early mention 4 days into 2016.

:ok:

Edited by phart

Actually you've mentioned it quite a few times. Looking at your posting history you like to remind us about once a year.

To be fair you missed out on 2015, but snuck in an early mention 4 days into 2016.

Once every 1500 posts? What a zealot.

:lol::lol: At least he's consistent.

Been a vegetarian longer than i was a meat eater. So much easier now than years ago, Linda McArtney is the patron Saint of veggies. She showed people you can still eat tasty and 'meaty' food without using animal flesh. If other people eat meat that's their decision but I get really pissed off with people who pick arguments with my choice. It used to happen quite often, usually men and usually the types that feel threatened by anything slightly out of the ordinary. I eat eggs, loads of them but get them from friend who has chickens so they're free range. Dont like milk or yogurt but again if I need any dairy I get from my friends who makes cheese, cream, etc from goats milk. The milk is bowfing on its own but great in cooking and cheese is brilliant. I buy vegan butter, don't know how it's made but get from Wholefoods.

The real difficulty now is buying cruelty free household and body products. They may be cruelty free here but if the company sells in China then they test on animals as it's a legal requirement there. Body Shop is now owned by L'oreal so although the products sold in body shop aren't tested on animals the profit made goes to a company who does test.

Have never tried to be a vegan as too weak willed to stick to it. Just try my best with vegetarianism, no animal skin clothing and making a friend who ate rabbit when crowd of us were out cry when I went on and on and on about my rabbits and sent her a peta video of battery raised rabbit factory conditions. (No Orra, that has nothing to do with the Rampant variety.) In my defence she can be a tight fisted git on nights out so any chance to get back at her is taken.

Oh there is one group who get on my t*ts, people who say they're vegetarians but still eat fish and or chicken. You're not a fecking veggie, they're animals. (Not aimed at piak who I know was just asking for ideas.)

Been a vegetarian longer than i was a meat eater. So much easier now than years ago, Linda McArtney is the patron Saint of veggies. She showed people you can still eat tasty and 'meaty' food without using animal flesh. If other people eat meat that's their decision but I get really pissed off with people who pick arguments with my choice. It used to happen quite often, usually men and usually the types that feel threatened by anything slightly out of the ordinary.

Agree 100%. I would suggest that the number of veggies trying to ram their vegetarianism down people's throat is significantly less that this group of people.

Oh there is one group who get on my t*ts, people who say they're vegetarians but still eat fish and or chicken. You're not a fecking veggie, they're animals. (Not aimed at piak who I know was just asking for ideas.)

Tell me about it. They just make life difficult for the actual vegetarians who have to spend their lives telling people that no they don't eat fish (chicken less so).

Been a vegetarian longer than i was a meat eater. So much easier now than years ago, Linda McArtney is the patron Saint of veggies. She showed people you can still eat tasty and 'meaty' food without using animal flesh. If other people eat meat that's their decision but I get really pissed off with people who pick arguments with my choice. It used to happen quite often, usually men and usually the types that feel threatened by anything slightly out of the ordinary. I eat eggs, loads of them but get them from friend who has chickens so they're free range. Dont like milk or yogurt but again if I need any dairy I get from my friends who makes cheese, cream, etc from goats milk. The milk is bowfing on its own but great in cooking and cheese is brilliant. I buy vegan butter, don't know how it's made but get from Wholefoods.

The real difficulty now is buying cruelty free household and body products. They may be cruelty free here but if the company sells in China then they test on animals as it's a legal requirement there. Body Shop is now owned by L'oreal so although the products sold in body shop aren't tested on animals the profit made goes to a company who does test.

Have never tried to be a vegan as too weak willed to stick to it. Just try my best with vegetarianism, no animal skin clothing and making a friend who ate rabbit when crowd of us were out cry when I went on and on and on about my rabbits and sent her a peta video of battery raised rabbit factory conditions. (No Orra, that has nothing to do with the Rampant variety.) In my defence she can be a tight fisted git on nights out so any chance to get back at her is taken.

Don't talk to me about bloody cheeses ! :lol:

Even that dug refused to eat it ! :yikes3:

Oh there is one group who get on my t*ts, people who say they're vegetarians but still eat fish and or chicken. You're not a fecking veggie, they're animals.

The wife's sister's rule is "Nothing with eyes except potatoes".

Lamia, I was offered a prawn dish in a restaurant years ago and the waiter was insistent they were okay as his sister was veggie and she said prawns were more like a plant!

Euan, I agree that lots of vegetarians are overweight. Not sure if it's laziness and junk food easier to eat than preparing good veggie meals, (I'm in that category) they eat a lot of carbohydrates, (also in this category) they eat lots of peanut butter to soothe their souls at the cruelties meted out to the animals in the world. (I'm in this category. Seriously I've hundreds of excuses for being a fat veggie Euan, most are pi*h but I'm sticking to them. ;-) )

My dog wouldn't touch any quorn dishes but loved a veggie sausage roll. Much preferred steak and chicken though.

Good rule Donny and glad to hear you enjoyed your vegetarian Christmas.