Only An Excuse Was Rubbish - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Only An Excuse Was Rubbish

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole format is tired and needs consigning to the bin. A Scottish version of Newswipe would probably be a lot better.

Watson's problem is that he has three very good impressions, Denis Law, Alex Ferguson and Frank McAvennie, none of these guys are relevant anymore.

BBC Scotland have neither the insight or bollocks to replace it however as its "traditional".

It's probably sacrilege to say this now but the last few years of Scotch and Wry were pretty crap as it was the same tired characters being rehashed with thinner and thinner scripts. Thankfully Rikki Fulton had the sense to call it quits.

They probably spunk the Hogmanay budget on the Hogmanay show, which again is the same old same old, Jackie Bird, Phil and Ally, etc., etc.

The whole format is tired and needs consigning to the bin. A Scottish version of Newswipe would probably be a lot better.

Watson's problem is that he has three very good impressions, Denis Law, Alex Ferguson and Frank McAvennie, none of these guys are relevant anymore.

BBC Scotland have neither the insight or bollocks to replace it however as its "traditional".

It's probably sacrilege to say this now but the last few years of Scotch and Wry were pretty crap as it was the same tired characters being rehashed with thinner and thinner scripts. Thankfully Rikki Fulton had the sense to call it quits.

They probably spunk the Hogmanay budget on the Hogmanay show, which again is the same old same old, Jackie Bird, Phil and Ally, etc., etc.

I think the BBC Alba bells programme is much better

There's been some turnover in actors on it over the years. Unfortunately not Jonathan Watson.

Thought some of it was ok, although there seems to be less and less fitba references every year...

I'd put tha down to the real lAck of characters in Scottish football these days, amd how unlikely they are to be recognised by joe public

I used to think his Charlie Nicholas and Alan McInally impressions were good too.

The problem is the content is shite, so even if his impressions were brilliant it would still be shite. In fact if the content was better, you might be able to forgive the standard of the impressions a bit more.

I used to think his Charlie Nicholas and Alan McInally impressions were good too.

The problem is the content is shite, so even if his impressions were brilliant it would still be shite. In fact if the content was better, you might be able to forgive the standard of the impressions a bit more.

This is what it was like when Roper did it. His impressions were not great (his over the top Ally McLeod was probably his best one) but got away with it because the quality of material was better.

I'd put tha down to the real lAck of characters in Scottish football these days, amd how unlikely they are to be recognised by joe public

Yeah, that's spot on.

Even folk on here werent 100% sure who the Griffiths one was meant to be.

Go back 15/ 20 years and you had unique people who made the front page, goram and craig brown shagging, gazza up to all sorts, and the likes of golac and chic charnley that where infamous. If the Tamb where to pick 20 stories from Scottish football over the last year to send up, I doubt we could.

Go back 15/ 20 years and you had unique people who made the front page, goram and craig brown shagging, gazza up to all sorts, and the likes of golac and chic charnley that where infamous. If the Tamb where to pick 20 stories from Scottish football over the last year to send up, I doubt we could.

Leigh Griffiths could've had a giant buggy with loads of weans in it.

:lol:

Then we'd have known who it was.

Don't know who's call it was but apparently virtually all the 2012 edition was shelved due to sensitivity over the collapse of Rangers.

Seemed strange at the time that the biggest event in Scottish football this century barely received a mention.

Bingo.

There is definitely something in the Scottish national "psyche" that is resistant to abolishing or radically changing traditions.

BBC Scotland have repeatedly knocked backed my idea for a hilarious New Years comedy special. I mean who doesn't want to see a forty-five minute, black & white, avant garde portrayal of the Reformation ........ in mime ?