Forth Road Bridge Closed - Page 21 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forth Road Bridge Closed

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to use all the powers available in Holyrood. I want a party that says it is to the left to action that and fund services instead of cutting them ala Forth Road Bridge. The SNP have really fecked up. Removed tolls, cut funding, gambled on new bridge being ready. You are talking about Victorian period.

You want the SNP to reverse all the policies that have made them popular with the electorate, just because a bridge broke. I would like to think they aren't that daft.

Because the bridge is poorly designed and not fit for purpose.

It wasn't poorly designed and it was fit for purpose at the time it was built. That was over 50 years ago though, and lots of things have changed since then.

The truss deck support system was virtually obsolete by the time the bridge was built though, and the FRB was the last bridge built in the UK using that system. But the system was perfectly adequate for what it was designed for. It's just that over the decades the bridge has had to cope with much more loading than it was designed for. I am not sure that it was the extra loading which caused this particular welded joint to fail though.

Announcement today that there will be an inquiry by the Scottish Parliaments Infrastructure and Investment Committee. As part of it,

The Committee has also agreed to appoint an independent technical adviser to assist the Committee in its work. The role would likely:

· assess and summarise written evidence

· advise witnesses

· assist in the preparation of questions for witnesses

· attend meetings to hear evidence and assess it for the committee

· prepare briefing notes for members

· assist in the drafting of the committee report

The adviser would therefore have a strong engineering background with perhaps particular expertise in bridge construction or maintenance.

Perhaps Larky should put his name forward.

I'd say it's unlikely.

The wrong cables were chosen, which to me is poor design.

Have you got any links to that? I thought they used the type of cables which were fairly standard for suspension bridges at the time? They certainly used the same type of cable for a lot of bridges in USA. I thought the reason they started looking into the FRB cables was because they had noticed problems with similar type of bridges in USA.

I would be interested to read more about it though. I haven't read too much about the cables, as it would appear that the cable problems and this current weld failure seem to be unrelated.

Have you got any links to that? I thought they used the type of cables which were fairly standard for suspension bridges at the time? They certainly used the same type of cable for a lot of bridges in USA. I thought the reason they started looking into the FRB cables was because they had noticed problems with similar type of bridges in USA.

I would be interested to read more about it though. I haven't read too much about the cables, as it would appear that the cable problems and this current weld failure seem to be unrelated.

I'd have to go dig it out, it was something to do with the salt content in the air because it was so close to an estuary. The cables chosen were designed for use on a freshwater river. It was something along those lines anyway.

I would be surprised if the cables were a major contribution to this new failure though.

What is the PM being suggested that would have prevented this?

Surely no one is suggesting that every bit of steelwork should've been replaced over the years...

I'm not suggesting that but components under the highest stress should have been replaced before the extensive safe operating life time.

Larky Masher is.

Sounds like it. Do you think he understood the "Trigger's brush" joke.

What do you think the constant painting of the Forth Rail Bridge was?

http://pwweb1.pwri.go.jp/eng/ujnr/tc/g/pdf/30/30-8-3_Hanai.pdf

Following the assessment of the suspended span truss, these critical structural members were found to be significantly overstressed during certain combinations of loading.

However, given the cost and difficulty in replacing these elements, and the potential disruption to bridge users, further examination of the probability of certain combinations of load occurring and further structural analysis was carried out to try to determine the most realistic levels of stress in the members.

After the Forth Replacement Crossing opens, the existing bridge will carry only light traffic under normal operating conditions. One factor to be considered is the reduced probability of certain conditions of traffic loading occurring within the relatively short time period left until the new bridge opens.

As a result of this analysis work it was determined that there is now the potential to upgrade the existing links rather than carry out a full replacement.

A repair option involving strengthening existing welds and adding stiffeners to the tower steelwork has been developed and a trial was completed on the northwest tower leg in May this year. Following assessment of this trial, Amey is now proceeding with design and strengthening works at the other three tower legs. It should be noted that these strengthening works are to a different part of the truss end linkages to that which failed on 1 December 2015. The part which has fractured was not previously considered to be at risk of failure.

https://www.forthroadbridge.org/projects/capital-projects/truss-end-links/