Turks Shoot Down Russian Fighter Plane - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turks Shoot Down Russian Fighter Plane

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right enough the Ankara bombings! So Turkey are in cahoots with ISIS despite them blowing up there citizens?

I think it was the Ankara bombing that was said to have been in a Kurdish area rather than a Turkish area. There were suspicions the bombing was done by the Turkish authorities. They really don't like the Kurds and have been using Isis as an excuse to attack them within Kurdistan.

I kicked about with the Kurds when I was in Turkey - brilliant folk.

Agree 100%

Been to various resorts in Turkey - all the bars, pubs & clubs have Kurdish employees (paid absolute buttons I believe) a nicer & friendlier bunch of people you'll not meet.

Don't call them Turks though :shocked:

Agree 100%

Been to various resorts in Turkey - all the bars, pubs & clubs have Kurdish employees (paid absolute buttons I believe) a nicer & friendlier bunch of people you'll not meet.

Don't call them Turks though :shocked:

I was using a barber shop in Merrylee run by Kurds (on Flora's recommendation) - you'd struggle to meet two nicer blokes (I also received a free education on Middle East politics!) - unfortunately they've done a flit, so I'm back to trying to find a decent barber. Edited by Charlie Endell

I was using a barber shop in Merrylee run by Kurds (on Flora's recommendation) - you'd struggle to meet two nicer blokes (I also received a free education on Middle East politics!) - unfortunately they've done a flit, so I'm back to trying to find a decent barber.

There is good barber on Victoria Road (Soran i think it's called), really nice guy's work in it & they are all Kurds (even they want let the Roma's from Allison Street into their shop) :lol:

I was using a barber shop in Merrylee run by Kurds (on Flora's recommendation) - you'd struggle to meet two nicer blokes (I also received a free education on Middle East politics!) - unfortunately they've done a flit, so I'm back to trying to find a decent barber.

I'll stick my heid in the (former) Merrylee Kurdish Embassy. The harem which now run it, know where the lads are on the ru.....set up new shop.

Why? Seems to me he's just making the point the he no longer regards Turkey(Turkish citizens) as allies (or if you don't like that word a friendly nation).

It's an indiscriminate punishment to folk who had no part in the incident. I'd hate to be punished over Cameron being a fanny.

It's an indiscriminate punishment to folk who had no part in the incident. I'd hate to be punished over Cameron being a fanny.

Fair point. But the actions of a nations government (especially a 'democratic' nation),will always reflect on how a nation and it's citizens are treated by other nations (too many nations in that sentence, I know), so the actions of the British government (Cameron if you like,but I don't think that's the accurate term),will affect you,like it or not.

And at the risk of being accused of being parochial, that's what (partly and mainly for me) the independence vote was about.

Nonsense decision

OK, that's a couple of votes for a stupid decision. If it helps lets substitute a 'British plane shot down', if it doesn't, ignore.

So what should the Russian (British) government do.

1.Tell them not to do that again.

2.Ask them for an apology.

3.Promise not infringe their territory again.

4.Promise not infringe their territory again and apologise for doing it in the first place.

5.Promise not infringe their territory again, apologise for doing it in the first place, court martial the surviving aircrew and reimburse them for the price of the missile.

6.Make it clear they were in a bit of a hurry to drop some big bombs,promise not infringe their territory again, apologise for doing it in the first place, court martial the surviving aircrew and reimburse them for the price of the missile.

Breaking News Feed ‏@pzf 4m4 minutes ago

BREAKING: Putin bans Russian companies from hiring Turkish citizens from Jan 1, 2016. Over 90,000 Turks to be sacked.

Well done Vlad

Not read the article, that doesn't mean they are getting the sack, just Turks would not be getting a new working visa, no?

J

OK, that's a couple of votes for a stupid decision. If it helps lets substitute a 'British plane shot down', if it doesn't, ignore.

So what should the Russian (British) government do.

1.Tell them not to do that again.

2.Ask them for an apology.

3.Promise not infringe their territory again.

4.Promise not infringe their territory again and apologise for doing it in the first place.

5.Promise not infringe their territory again, apologise for doing it in the first place, court martial the surviving aircrew and reimburse them for the price of the missile.

6.Make it clear they were in a bit of a hurry to drop some big bombs,promise not infringe their territory again, apologise for doing it in the first place, court martial the surviving aircrew and reimburse them for the price of the missile.

I don't think the Turkish government will really care what Russia does to Turkish people in Russia, not enough to change anything anyway so punishing them for the actions of the government is nonsense. Putin probably knows this as well.

I'm in NZ now, I'd be pretty pissed if the NZ government kicked me out because of something Cameron did

Edited by ParisInAKilt

The Russians have already said this looks like a planned provocation. The only remaining question they will have is was it approved by the US. Either way it is an act of war from a NATO member a planned provocation. How would you feel if you were Russian, even these sanctions will seem weak in comparison. Putin is struggling to find actions that will satisfy the Russian public that don't involve escalating the situation.

If that pilot had not been rescued they would have burned him alive and filmed it. The Russians are of the view that the Turks had folk ready on the ground to capture the downed pilots. That was the fate the Turks had in mind for them.

If this happens again then things are going to get really ugly. The Russians have pretty much exhausted all the non violent avenues of retaliation.

Edited by thplinth