Ta Ta To The Steel Industry - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ta Ta To The Steel Industry

Another hammer blow to our traditional industry. Hopefully there can be another successful intervention like at Ineos and Fergusons...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34552970

It'll be like 'king coal' - not that I thought people scrambling 'neath the earth' as any way for folk, or animals, tae earn a living - but we'll need the mothballed industries sooner rather than later.

I watched the rotten arse, Sajiv David go intae a meating with steel producers totally unaware and fuqqed by waht was about tae be announced in terms of job cuts.

The UK is now a puppet and a vassal for the foreign multi-nationals that want tae drive wages down even further... the Tories will acquiesce tae this (THat's a big word for me at theis time of the morning, mind.

Tories = asset strippers!!!

Suspected this for a while as for months that they would be closing down as they have been phoning into my work on a daily basis to pitch sales to us, even though they are not one of our main steel suppliers (we have probably used them once in a blue moon over the years)

Oh the joy of working with cheep Chinese steel again.

Out of interest did the Germans and poles not prop up there steel industry? If so what's the difference between them doing it and us

We use Brown and Wilson as our main steel supplier, and all their steel comes from Ukraine.

For the Borders Railway projects they were very strict on Certificates of conformity, and I had to get my Mrs to translate it all as it was in Ukrainian from the steel mill in Mauripol.

They tendered for Forth Road contract but Salmond went for China after a jaunt over there. Was covered in Private Eye.

No Scottish firms bid due to the huge amount of steel required, around 37000 tonnes. It is in fact being supplied by Polish and Spanish companies as well as China bringing it in well under budget. The contract has secured 4200 jobs going forward as well as 100 locally in Queensferry area. The benefits going forward are estimated at 6 billion and has created around 25 million of work for local sub contractors. Keep up your misinformation campaign though Alan eh....!

No Scottish firms bid due to the huge amount of steel required, around 37000 tonnes. It is in fact being supplied by Polish and Spanish companies as well as China bringing it in well under budget. The contract has secured 4200 jobs going forward as well as 100 locally in Queensferry area. The benefits going forward are estimated at 6 billion and has created around 25 million of work for local sub contractors. Keep up your misinformation campaign though Alan eh....!

Plus all the sub contractors (such as my firm) using Scottish steel stockists for their work on the bridge.

All too late for intervention to save the industry. Just wait and see the Scottish Gov. being landed with the bill for site remediation.

And in 20 years time the sites will either still be derelict or large housing estates and not a job in sight.

They tendered for Forth Road contract but Salmond went for China after a jaunt over there. Was covered in Private Eye.

but, but, but the Great British state was going to protect them if we voted No?

http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk/blog/entry/community-union

At its biennial conference Community trade union members today backed the Better Together campaign and pledged their support to keep Scotland part of the UK. Community represents thousands of members in Scotland who work predominantly in the private sector.

Members at the national conference heard delegate after delegate from Scotland call for the union to formally support the campaign for Scotland to stay part of the UK.

Welsh-born General Secretary, Michael Leahy, said:

"We have listened to the views of our Scottish members, and their message is clear: the best thing for jobs and the economy is for us to work together. The trade union movement is built on solidarity, not separation. Trade unionists know that united we stand, and divided we fall. That is just as true in our family of nations as it is in any workplace across the country.

"Scottish trade unionists will be at the forefront of the campaign for Scotland to stay part of the UK.

"The SNP are trying hard to pretend that their plans are best for workers. All I can say is - if they really thought that, they would have remembered to vote for the National Minimum Wage, they wouldn't be calling for Texan-style tax cuts for multinationals, and they would have built the new Forth Road Bridge with Scottish steel and Scottish jobs, instead of offshoring the work to China."

John Paul McHugh, Political Director of Community, said:

"The forces that threaten Community's members are not unique to Scotland. Whether you are a steel worker from Motherwell, a betting shop worker in Cardiff or a postie in London we should have the same rights to a decent wage and safety in the workplace, the same right to work, and the same dignity at work. Our big employers are the same. The banks on our high streets are the same. The goods our members produce are the same.

"Whether Scotland is in or out of the UK, the government at Westminster will have massive sway. If we aren't allowed to elect MPs in general elections any more, Scotland will have no say in the big decisions that affect our members' lives. That doesn't make sense.

"Campaigners fought long and hard to establish the Pensions Protection Fund (PPF), the UK wide scheme which supports workers whose company pension schemes go bust. That's a benefit of sticking with the UK. With less money in an independent Scotland, the same protection couldn't apply without big cuts elsewhere."

One delegate who voted in favour of the motion, steelworker Tommy Donnelly, said:

"This is a good decision. If I thought for a moment that independence would benefit Scotland, I would back it. But I've looked at what it means for me, and am totally unconvinced. It would be worse for me, my family and my fellow trade union members at work. Our problems aren't caused by the English - they are caused by the Tories, so let's get them out. Walking away from working people across the UK makes that less likely, not more likely."

- See more at: http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk/blog/entry/community-union#sthash.77bLLxsy.dpuf

Edited by giblet

Found this quite funny on twitter, Gideon should have saved the jobs.

CRwD-cZXAAAOrfr.jpg

While its a tragedy for the people losing their jobs, everytime something like this, or ship building, or oil workers, or fishermen have a whinge, I can help but slightly snigger at them. The Great UK Government didnt help you guys out, did you really expect them to FFS.

CRw5p9cXAAEIsZV.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo

One delegate who voted in favour of the motion, steelworker Tommy Donnelly, said:

"This is a good decision. If I thought for a moment that independence would benefit Scotland, I would back it. But I've looked at what it means for me, and am totally unconvinced. It would be worse for me, my family and my fellow trade union members at work. Our problems aren't caused by the English - they are caused by the Tories, so let's get them out. Walking away from working people across the UK makes that less likely, not more likely."

I'm afraid Tommy's going to have plenty time on his hands to reflect on how this turned out for him.

http://www.newsnet.scot/nns-archive/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6461:scottish-steel-for-forth-crossing&catid=32:in-brief&Itemid=103

Thursday, 20 December 2012 23:04

Clare Adamson MSP has welcomed the news that steel for the Forth Replacement Crossing (FRC) will come from Tata at Motherwell.

Ms Adamson, MSP for Central Scotland, celebrated the news that Tata in Motherwell is to provide steel to Darlington based Cleveland Bridge to produce girders for the new crossing and outlined the positive impact the FRC’s is having Scotland-wide, against the misleading statements from opposition politicians.

She said:

“This is excellent news for Motherwell and sends out a fresh reminder of just how important the massive Forth Crossing development is to all of Scotland.

“Over 300 Scottish firms have already benefited from subcontracts and 1200 people are employed on site. Tata is yet another Scottish based business benefiting from the supply chain for the Forth Crossing.

“If Labour had their way and scrapped construction there would be no benefits to Motherwell at all.

“This is great news for Motherwell, and shows that the benefits of the Forth Replacement Crossing will stretch across Scotland.

“The FRC is an absolutely essential project for Scotland’s infrastructure, sustainable economic growth and will continue to create 1000s of more jobs for Scottish people before it opens to traffic in 2016."