The Beatles - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil young was feckin honkin' in the 80s..WTF was that all about ?????

Aye, it took it him until the last few months of the decade to finally come up with something decent - Freedom - that was the first Young album I bought and then started checking out his back catalogue (conveniently skipping the rest of his '80s output).

TBH for a Ringo track (as almost every Beatles album had to have one, which always had a element of kids appeal/comedy to it) that was actually written by Ringo, Octopus's Garden is something of a guilty pleasure Beatles track, as It's not in same league as what the other 3 were capable of writing, and it is just a re-work "Yellow Submarine"

Yellow Submarine is a work of genius though. It's like a song that's been around for centuries. 5 year old kids nowadays will sing it having no idea who wrote it or when. What a thing to have come up with...

Well, call me the-guy-that-knows-what-he's-talking-about, but I like my pop groups to avoid cluttering their albums with tracks pitched at the playlist of Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart's Junior Choice. They should've palmed it off onto Freddy and the Dreamers.

Re: the Beatles generally, familiarity probably does them no favours. During the '70s, every show on daytime Radio 1 would play a daily Beatles track. This thread was opened by one of our Polish cousins and pop culture behind the former Iron Curtain had a very different trajectory to that in the lick-spittle kapitalist West. Thirty years of musical evolution had to be swallowed whole post-1989. As you lads both know, the music of protest in the East was largely long-haired Jazz.

Re: the Beatles generally, familiarity probably does them no favours. During the '70s, every show on daytime Radio 1 would play a daily Beatles track. This thread was opened by one of our Polish cousins and pop culture behind the former Iron Curtain had a very different trajectory to that in the lick-spittle kapitalist West. Thirty years of musical evolution had to be swallowed whole post-1989. As you lads both know, the music of protest in the East was largely long-haired Jazz.

On that subject this is worth a look....

Well, call me the-guy-that-knows-what-he's-talking-about, but I like my pop groups to avoid cluttering their albums with tracks pitched at the playlist of Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart's Junior Choice. They should've palmed it off onto Freddy and the Dreamers.

Hardly say cluttered.... Ringo never really got more than one track per album....

Help! : Act Naturally - actually a really good cover

Rubber Soul : What Goes On - Probably the poorest "Ringo Track"

Revolver : Yellow Submarine - Probably known by more Beatles and non-Beatles fans than 90% of the rest of the album.

Sgt Pepper : With a little help from my friends - Arguably Ringo's signature tune and one of the best songs on the album

The Beatles : Don't Pass Me By & Good Night - Is DPMB any worse than Bungalow Bill, Ob-La-Di, Honey Pie? And Good Night is a beautiful song that I do not think Lennon (who wrote it) would have sang it a 10th as good (the song was a lullaby for his son Julian)

Abbey Road : Octopus's Garden - Probably better than most the stuff McCartney contributed to the album, and even Lennon had stopped caring by this stage.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone watch the countdown programme the other night?

Disappointing number 1 but not really surprising. Disgraceful lack of In My Life though!

It only included no. 1 singles, no? (I've just watched the last 20 minutes of the repeat). 'In My Life' wasn't a single.

All Things Must Pass is the total wasted opportunity in the Beatles canon.

Lennon and McCartney lost the plot by not recording that one.

Fuds.

Apart from that they were pretty damn good.

that could apply to dozen or so songs on All Things Must Pass (never mind the title track) as the album is effectively 4/5 years worth of songs that George never got a chance to put on a Beatles album.

Penny Lane never reached number one they said

was a double A Side withStrawberry Fields, was the first song in 12 that didnt get to number 1, 11 before that did, and 7 after it did...

Think Englebert's Release Me kept it off the top spot......