November Friendly/friendlies - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

November Friendly/friendlies

ProudScot

WGS has lost a wee bit of credibility in my eyes over this.

I know he doesn't like friendlies but we have likely 3 get togethers b4 Malta....Nov 2015, March 2016 & May 2016 and to dismiss 1 of those is a huge misjudgement imo.

Surely if he is worried about morale would a morale boosting win not be the ideal tonic.

Should we lose the March friendly how will.our morale be then ?

It's either laziness by the SFA who cannot be arsed putting together a game when they can use the time to prep for the SSC renewal cash cow or its WGS effectively saying we ain't capable of winning a friendly.

Dire stuff. Feels like we are back in the world of Burley / Levein.

Edited by Eastiebeastie

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No there are a few teams.

However, we are the only country in the FIFA top 80 (who has a manager) not playing in November. Finland and Israel are also not playing but dont have a manager and Bulgaria are having a get together but are also strongly linked to a game with Alabnia.

What took you so long? Lol

Cheers

WGS has lost a wee bit of credibility in my eyes over this.

I know he doesn't like friendlies but we have likely 3 get togethers b4 Malta....Nov 2015, March 2016 & May 2016 and to dismiss 1 of those is a huge misjudgement imo.

Surely if he is worried about morale would a morale boosting win not be the ideal tonic.

Should we lose the March friendly how will.our morale be then ?

It's either laziness by the SFA who cannot be arsed putting together a game when they can use the time to prep for the SSC renewal cash cow or its WGS effectively saying we ain't capable of winning a friendly.

Dire stuff. Feels like we are back in the world of Burley / Levein.

Agree with this

Even with no November game, it's worrying we've not announced anything for March yet, when a lot of the other nations have.

I think there is only a hand full of friendlies announced for March at the moment (ie Germany-England, Ireland-Switzerland, Netherlands-France, France-Russia etc).

I would expect once the Euro draw is out the way that we will start to hear some news regarding March, and maybe even May.

I think there is only a hand full of friendlies announced for March at the moment (ie Germany-England, Ireland-Switzerland, Netherlands-France, France-Russia etc).

I would expect once the Euro draw is out the way that we will start to hear some news regarding March, and maybe even May.

I agree, and it's because we'll be hoping someone who draws a team from the British Isles will want to play us and pay us decent money. Suspect there'll be little thought into whether it's a good/suitable opponent based on who we have in WCQs.

I agree, and it's because we'll be hoping someone who draws a team from the British Isles will want to play us and pay us decent money. Suspect there'll be little thought into whether it's a good/suitable opponent based on who we have in WCQs.

Yeah.... someone like Ukraine, Romania, Czech Republic, Hungary or Austria drawing Wales or NI would be ideal.

Edited by wanderer

Pretty difficult when they tend to play at similar times to the big team and in different city.

Granted.

But he's the manager of an international football team who only play, seven or eight times a year. He's got plenty time on his hands to speaking to U21, U19 etc coaches and watching DVDs etc.

I don't know for certain but I'm guessing he won't be at the Victory Shield (U16) tonight (awaits to be proven wrong!) Not for a second suggesting U16 players get in the squad but in 2 or 3 years time, players from that team could be knocking on the door of the squad.

England (again granted they have better players) seem a lot better at giving younger players their first caps (e.g. Rooney, Sterling, Chambers, Barkley, Stones all examples of young players playing consistently with the full team whilst still eligible for U21 teams). Perhaps cause they're manager(s) are familiar with them?????

Granted.

But he's the manager of an international football team who only play, seven or eight times a year. He's got plenty time on his hands to speaking to U21, U19 etc coaches and watching DVDs etc.

I don't know for certain but I'm guessing he won't be at the Victory Shield (U16) tonight (awaits to be proven wrong!) Not for a second suggesting U16 players get in the squad but in 2 or 3 years time, players from that team could be knocking on the door of the squad.

England (again granted they have better players) seem a lot better at giving younger players their first caps (e.g. Rooney, Sterling, Chambers, Barkley, Stones all examples of young players playing consistently with the full team whilst still eligible for U21 teams). Perhaps cause they're manager(s) are familiar with them?????

It's more a case that those players listed are a LOT better than the Under 21's we produce

Granted.

It would be incredibly stupid to think that Strachan isn't aware of every player in the system and what their strengths and weaknesses are - obviously the further they are away from being involved in the A squad, the more he will be reliant on reports from scouts and age group management than his own personal assessment.

What he hasn't been able to do is have an opportunity to be able to get to know the young players by being directly involved with them, i.e. through training and just in general being able to spend time with them as part of a group. It's also an opportunity for him to lay out exactly what players need to do to make the step up and it also gives him an opportunity to observe what is going on in general with the U21s, how they are organised, coached, etc.

If this was the reason why we don't have any A games in November then it would be right to have a go at him but its not and given we don't have a game, I think its a great move that should be welcomed.

It would be incredibly stupid to think that Strachan isn't aware of every player in the system and what their strengths and weaknesses are - obviously the further they are away from being involved in the A squad, the more he will be reliant on reports from scouts and age group management than his own personal assessment.

What he hasn't been able to do is have an opportunity to be able to get to know the young players by being directly involved with them, i.e. through training and just in general being able to spend time with them as part of a group. It's also an opportunity for him to lay out exactly what players need to do to make the step up and it also gives him an opportunity to observe what is going on in general with the U21s, how they are organised, coached, etc.

If this was the reason why we don't have any A games in November then it would be right to have a go at him but its not and given we don't have a game, I think its a great move that should be welcomed.

Very sensible post.