Squad For Next Campaign - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Next Campaign

g@un

Well those still foaming at the mouth about Rhodes not getting a chance well he got a good half an hour against Gibraltar at Hampden and failed to score. Fletcher scores two hat-tricks against them and our own fans scoff saying it is only part-timers. Well what the hell does that say about Rhodes then? Even the much-maligned Chris Martin netted against them.

I genuinely believe a lot of the time our fans (and I include myself in this) put too much faith or hope in our players seeing relatively untried players as saviours (Rhodes and Griffiths) to give ourselves some hope. We do the same with upcoming youngsters and they generally sink without trace - look at Robbie Foy, Stephen Smith, Danny Wilson, Islam Feruz and such-like. The hard, cold truth is in desperation we'll convince ourselves of anything.

That's our point exactly - Rhodes and Griffiths will both be 26 by the next Scotland game, 28 by the next tournament should we get there...

These are not youngsters!

The Gibraltar game is a perfect chance to just sling in a Ryan Gauld type player aswell as deserving uncapped/relatively few times capped players like Graeme Shinnie, Johnny Russell etc

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gibraltar game is a perfect chance to just sling in a Ryan Gauld type player aswell as deserving uncapped/relatively few times capped players like Graeme Shinnie, Johnny Russell etc

I do agree with this point. Surely, if Stachan is too stubborn then other people in his team should be suggesting the likes of Gauld to be blooded? Shinnie I think will get chances and Russell may remain on the fringes.

I really hope Lewis Mcleod can overcome his injury troubles. With him, Gauld, Jack, Christie,Harper and Fraser we do have some very talented young players , that are all capable in my opinion of breaking into the squad.

i wouldnt get your hopes up about harper yet, he hasn't played a minute of first team football or even played for the U21s

Edited by LewisEDI

i wouldnt get your hopes up about harper yet, he hasn't played a minute of first team football or even played for the U21s

Only due to start training with Brighton towards the end of the month (it was said when he signed for Brighton that he would miss the first few months of the season due to back injury) and given Brightons form, he is going to have a fight on his hand to get into the picture there.

Edit: He has actually tweeted today that is him finally started training.

Edited by wanderer

Well if he is good enough he will make the breakthrough.

Fingers crossed! If the noises Albion were making at the start of the season are true where Harper (plus a kid from Finland who came through the Sampdoria youth system) were signed as long term investments to be involved in the 1st team, rather than in the reserves.

Fingers crossed! If the noises Albion were making at the start of the season are true where Harper (plus a kid from Finland who came through the Sampdoria youth system) were signed as long term investments to be involved in the 1st team, rather than in the reserves.

It is a good club to find your feet at in a new country as in not much media spotlight and pressures with expectations not ultra-high either.

If Lee Wallace and Danny Wilson are excelling for a premiership Rangers next season I would have them in the squad ahead of Gordon Greer and Forsyth/Whittaker.

Any number of players could also have a great season in the English Championship and or get promoted to the premiership,Im hoping to see Jordan Rhodes, and Johnny Russell get moves or promotions to get them involved plus the potential of the likes of Tom Cairney, Murray Wallace etc

If Lee Wallace and Danny Wilson are excelling for a premiership Rangers next season I would have them in the squad ahead of Gordon Greer and Forsyth/Whittaker.

Any number of players could also have a great season in the English Championship and or get promoted to the premiership,Im hoping to see Jordan Rhodes, and Johnny Russell get moves or promotions to get them involved plus the potential of the likes of Tom Cairney, Murray Wallace etc

Murray Wallace ? Seriously ?

Previously a frequent benchwarmer for a struggling Huddersfield Town side and who is currently now out on loan at 16th place Shorpe United in League One.

Lee Wallace and Danny Wilson. Next it'll be Andy Halliday.

Delusion

Rangers fans in wanting Scotland team to be packed with Rangers players shocker !

Question: "Why are Andy Halliday, Lee Wallace, Jason Holt, Danny Wilson etc good enough for Scotland ?"

Answer: "Coz they play furra Rangurz that's why ! Ya timmy-arab-sheepshaggin-hibee-jam tart-plastic whistle loving bastird ye !"

The only Rangers player worth considering in the foreseeable future is Cammy Bell. And even then, I'd actually have Dundee's Scott Bain ahead of him.

Danny Wilson won't be excelling. Rangers fans for the most part unimpressed; looked a good player when he he had David Weir to nanny him.

Rangers fans in wanting Scotland team to be packed with Rangers players shocker !

Question: "Why are Andy Halliday, Lee Wallace, Jason Holt, Danny Wilson etc good enough for Scotland ?"

Answer: "Coz they play furra Rangurz that's why ! Ya timmy-arab-sheepshaggin-hibee-jam tart-plastic whistle loving bastird ye !"

The only Rangers player worth considering in the foreseeable future is Cammy Bell. And even then, I'd actually have Dundee's Scott Bain ahead of him.

Keep your eye on Barrie McKay....

Keep your eye on Barrie McKay....

I will.

Firstly however, he'll have to get first team football in the Scottish top tier.

And secondly, he'll have to get past a feck load of other midfielders who are also challenging for a place in the Scotland team.

Good luck to him but how many times in the last few years have we heard from the Daily Record that the likes of - John Fleck (now at Coventry in League One), Gregg Wylde (now at Plymouth in League 2), Jamie Ness (now at Shorpe in League One), Rhys McCabe (now at Dunfermline in Scots League One) or Kyle Hutton (now at QOTS in the Scots Championship) - were the next big thing from Rangers ?

And to show it doesn't go one way, Celtic don't come out of this at all well either.

I will.

Firstly however, he'll have to get first team football in the Scottish top tier.

And secondly, he'll have to get past a feck load of other midfielders who are also challenging for a place in the Scotland team.

Good luck to him but how many times in the last few years have we heard from the Daily Record that the likes of - John Fleck (now at Coventry in League One), Gregg Wylde (now at Plymouth in League 2), Jamie Ness (now at Shorpe in League One), Rhys McCabe (now at Dunfermline in Scots League One) or Kyle Hutton (now at QOTS in the Scots Championship) - were the next big thing from Rangers ?

And to show it doesn't go one way, Celtic don't come out of this at all well either.

I think the problem here is many would like McKay to fail even at the expense of having a very good Scotland player. At the least they'd need him to move to another club before they could even set eyes on him without having some sort of haemorrhage.

I will.

dont forget "wee temps"

I think the problem here is many would like McKay to fail even at the expense of having a very good Scotland player. At the least they'd need him to move to another club before they could even set eyes on him without having some sort of haemorrhage.

No, we don't want him to fail. The absolute best of luck to him. However the fact remains that he is a thousand miles away from the senior team at present.

The truth is some (not all) Rangers fans feel left out because for the last couple of years their players have not been getting picked unless it was Lee Wallace filling in during an emergency. With the exception of Cammy Bell - none, repeat, none - of Rangers current players are worthy of a place in the current Scotland squad

dont forget "wee temps"

Another Rangers player hyped up to hell and no-where near worth a place on a Scotland B team, let alone the senior team.

John Fleck still has his cheerleaders saying "just give him another year and he'll make good". The same ones that swallowed the Daily Records cum went mental about him in 2009. The boy is a mediocre player and plays for a pish team.

No, we don't want him to fail. The absolute best of luck to him. However the fact remains that he is a thousand miles away from the senior team at present.

The truth is some (not all) Rangers fans feel left out because for the last couple of years their players have not been getting picked unless it was Lee Wallace filling in during an emergency. With the exception of Cammy Bell - none, repeat, none - of Rangers current players are worthy of a place in the current Scotland squad

Another Rangers player hyped up to hell and no-where near worth a place on a Scotland B team, let alone the senior team.

John Fleck still has his cheerleaders saying "just give him another year and he'll make good". The same ones that swallowed the Daily Records cum went mental about him in 2009. The boy is a mediocre player and plays for a pish team.

Perhaps you don't want him to fail but many will. McKay will play for Scotland, not many of the current Rangers first team will, although Wallace has a chance. The other somewhat further down the line is Ryan Hardie. Good luck to them, I say. :-) Edited by er yir macaroon

If Lee Wallace had played for the last four years in the Scottish Premiership or English Championship then he would have had a lot more caps than he's currently got.

He would most likely have been our first choice left back over that period for three reasons, he's good enough, he would have been playing at a high enough level to "keep his game up" and its been a bit of a problem area over the last few years.

As he wasn't playing at a high enough level then its completely correct that he didn't get called up on a regular basis.

If's he's back playing in the SPL next season and is playing well, then its right that he should be in contention - this would be a good thing - however in the intervening period other younger players have moved ahead of him, so it shouldn't be taken as a given.

If Lee Wallace had played for the last four years in the Scottish Premiership or English Championship then he would have had a lot more caps than he's currently got.

He would most likely have been our first choice left back over that period for three reasons, he's good enough, he would have been playing at a high enough level to "keep his game up" and its been a bit of a problem area over the last few years.

As he wasn't playing at a high enough level then its completely correct that he didn't get called up on a regular basis.

If's he's back playing in the SPL next season and is playing well, then its right that he should be in contention - this would be a good thing - however in the intervening period other younger players have moved ahead of him, so it shouldn't be taken as a given.

Agree 100%