Mountain Goats - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mountain Goats

Apparently it's shown throughout the UK.

Yep you're right, sadly. We get it down here in South Wales. My other half came in the room when I was watching the first one and asked what on earth was I watching that utter crap for? She says I was only watching it cos it's Scottish.

It was really embarrassingly bad, you know when you shift about from one arse cheek to the other and hope that nobody else can see you squirming.

Never watched it since.

Absolute tripe.

Is this the BCC's way of getting revenge? Making us look like utter ####wits?

Edited by DaveyDenoon

It's no Still game, that's for sure. I can't think of any decent comedy done by BBC Scotland apart from Still Games.

Chewin the Fat

Rab C Nesbitt

Only An Excuse (early years)

Scotch And Wry

Naked Video

Kick Up The 80s

(clearly I'm having to go back a bit)

Edited by Toepoke

Still Game (particularly series 1-3) was the best Scottish comedy of recent years.

Chewin the Fat still stands up pretty well. Always loved the bowling club "documentary" and the piss take they did of the the 1970s Peter McDougall BBC dramas

"Hard man fae Embra ? Ye cannae get a hard man fae Embra !"

and the pub songs featuring the characters who would go onto appear in Still Game were brilliant, especially the classic - "Backstairs lavvy". I remember we were singing that for weeks in school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhylLNdfyE8

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Serves the s right for begging us to stay.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start begging us to leave, after having that shite inflicted on them.

Someone once told me that BBC Scotland comedies were pish because BBC Scotland's budget has been slashed year on year. That doesn't really explain why the scripts are so terrible though, unless the more talented writers know they can earn more elsewhere and so go where the money is, e.g. London, or if BBC Scotland high heid yins just ask someone to cobble together a sitcom because they are cheap to make and fill a gap in the schedule.

It's a shame though because Scotland is a funny place - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. There must be talented writers and actors out there capable of delivering better than Mountain Goats.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start begging us to leave, after having that shite inflicted on them.

Someone once told me that BBC Scotland comedies were pish because BBC Scotland's budget has been slashed year on year. That doesn't really explain why the scripts are so terrible though, unless the more talented writers know they can earn more elsewhere and so go where the money is, e.g. London, or if BBC Scotland high heid yins just ask someone to cobble together a sitcom because they are cheap to make and fill a gap in the schedule.

It's a shame though because Scotland is a funny place - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. There must be talented writers and actors out there capable of delivering better than Mountain Goats.

I expect the commissioning chairs in BBC Scotland are full of yahs asking each other "what do Scots find funny? Angus, you're Scottish, what do your people find funny?"

I second calls for a return of the Limmy Show. Bona fide comedy genius. My funniest sketch of the last ten years must be Chocolate Choux:

https://youtu.be/9YNSUTqEssg

Edited by Armchair Bob

Chewin the Fat

Rab C Nesbitt

Only An Excuse (early years)

Scotch And Wry

Naked Video

Kick Up The 80s

(clearly I'm having to go back a bit)

Can I add city lights to that list. Might not have been to everyone's taste but at my age it was great

Still Game (particularly series 1-3) was the best Scottish comedy of recent years.

Chewin the Fat still stands up pretty well. Always loved the bowling club "documentary" and the piss take they did of the the 1970s Peter McDougall BBC dramas

"Hard man fae Embra ? Ye cannae get a hard man fae Embra !"

and the pub songs featuring the characters who would go onto appear in Still Game were brilliant, especially the classic - "Backstairs lavvy". I remember we were singing that for weeks in school.

Watched still game the full way through a few times on the last few years, still love it.

The songs are brilliant. There used to be a wee jukebox thing on a BBC website I'm sure that had all the songs. I'll have a look and see if its still around

I once pitched some ideas to the BBC Comedy Unit. They wrote back a long letter going into some detail all the different reasons why my ideas weren't funny. Which was in itself quite funny.

My pal's dad has had a few sketches done by the BBC on Not The 9 O'Clock News and Kick Up The 80's. He keeps sending me links showing sketches his dad wrote. As for Mountain Goats, I don't get it (although some of my pals from down south have branded it the best sit com since Terry and June)