We'll Get The Play Aff - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We'll Get The Play Aff

bonny78

Lets be realistic

There is absolutely NO way Ireland will beat Germany - absolutely none

Yes there are shocks and flukey results but there is NO way it's happening against this German team

Best they could hope to get is scraping a hard fought draw.

Equally, although there is a better chance of us beating Poland than Ireland beating Germany i cannot see it

It just doesnt work that way with Scotland.

It will either be a draw or we will lose a last minute sickener - something along those lines

So thats the nightmare scenario - both Ireland and Scotland draw their next games and we are relying on Poland beating Ireland in Warsaw

If thats how it pans out there is nothing surer than Ireland getting a draw

Edited by Ally Bongo

From a realistic Irish perspective (as we have our own Narnia fantasists predicting great results against a resurgent Germany and a tough Polish team in Warsaw) I think our most realistic outcome is 1 point away to Poland.

If Scotland win against Poland we are sunk, simple as.

I'd still rather be in our position then yours but we should've beaten Poland in Dublin in the second half and made them look poor enough I thought.

Scotland have an excellent chance of beating them and even if you draw we still have to go to Warsaw and try and get one which will be a tough place to go.

The problem with these forums is there's too many that blow with the wind predicting Ireland/Scotland will be out one minute and qualify the next when there's still 2 games to go.

It's nowhere near over.

Agree.

It's often just the extreme emotions of football (which is why we all love it though) and sometime knee jerk reactions within minutes/hours of a game.

Look at the reactions on here after the Georgia game, then the slight shift even though we still lost again to Germany.

There's still a slim chance both Scotland and Ireland can qualify ahead of Poland (I think).

I'd rather be in our position than Irelands. Would not want to go to Warsaw knowing we have to get a result.

Happier having home advantage against Poland then Gibraltar.

Nervous already and we are still a month away until D-Day!

you cant be serious - Ireland are guaranteed at least 3rd if we lose to Poland. They wont have to go to Warsaw knowing they have to get a result - they'll be in the play-offs amd with an outside chance of automatic qualification.

I'd much rather be in their position

I don't think we'll lose to Poland with home advantage. That's the thing. And we have Gibraltar last up.

Whereas Ireland have an ominously resurgent looking Germany side at home. And a trip to a very difficult venue in Warsaw. They won't take anything from the former fixture. Therefore, from a fixture point of view, I'd rather be our position than Ireland's from that perspective.

ideal scenario we nick a point of Germany and you draw with poland

Guarateed play off and a shot at automatic qualification if we beat Poland :ok:

yes another reason why you are in such a better position than us - you have the luxury of a nothing to lose and everything to gain game against Germany.

And if we draw with Poland then you and Poland can play out the 0-0 draw where the Poles automatically qualify and you have a play-off game where you should fancy your chances

Of course they will. And I'll bet that there will be some tasty press quotes attributed to the Poles about our abilities as the game draws nearer. That's fitba,

It's down to our lads to show what we are made of, that we have the bottle when the chips are down and that they will rise to the occasion with a massive support behind us. Which I am sure they will. Happy to be bookmarked.

Why not? Apart from Lewandowski there is nothing really to be scared of in that Polish side. Don't get me wrong they are a decent team but not unbeatable. And defensively they are suspect.

Going forward its not just Lewandowski though. Milic is quality and better than anything we have in comparison just 21 and already 9 goals in 19 internationals. They are a great side going forward

Going forward its not just Lewandowski though. Milic is quality and better than anything we have in comparison just 21 and already 9 goals in 19 internationals. They are a great side going forward

Better make sure we keep them penned in their own half or boot them up in the air if they cross our half way line!

That's what I said, don't get me wrong the Poles are a good side. I am not underestimating them but we seem to be painting a picture where Poland are a world class side. Granted they have one or two very talented individuals but they are a workmanlike side. Ireland proved in the second half of their game in Dublin that they can be seriously got at and for spells in Warsaw we were the better side. If we can keep the back door shut, for once, at the back then there is absolutely no reason why we can't get the result we need.

We seem to forget we had a win and a draw against the Poles away from home. Why not believe we can take care of them at home.

I just hope that the goal mcgeady scored against Georgia in the last minute does not count.

I wish the final games were reversed. We play gibralta first and Poland v Ireland. Then hopefully Poland would not have anything to play for as they would be through when they play us.

Will be a long month waiting.

If we draw with poland we could see a 'great gijon swindle' situation with poland and ireland playing out a 1-1 that might suit them both...

Can't see that, neither team will want to play 'playoff roulette' when they can qualify automatically. The problem Ireland have is the way their final two games have panned out, with both Germany and Poland needing points in the sequence they are playing them. If it was Germany last, they would have probably already qualified, but there is still a chance of only getting a playoff spot, so they will want to put that scenario to bed in Dublin

We will never play for draw with anybody in front of 50k fans on Stadion Narodowy. Not a chance. It`s not in our character.

For us (media, fans) Scotland is considered as very strong collective, without stars but very well managed by Gordon Strachan. Also a kind of opponent we are not comfortable with (same as Ireland). Media also underlining refereiing for the game, hoping that in Glasgow we won`t get a blind one like in Warsaw. Referee not allowing brutal game will be beneficial for us, opposite situation will be advantage for Scotland.

We will come to Glasgow with strong desire for sealing the qualifications, not wanting to leave that for the last home game vs Ireland, however its obvious that game will be "must win" category for you rather than for us. How this will affect the mentality of both teams is a mystery for now and reamain like that till the gameday.

I predict Scottish media will be quoting some bull*ite from "Polish media", like before first game. There was no publication in Poland saying that you are poor, but scottish press created "news" just to motivate your players and fans. Dirty trick but probably work ;)