When Will The Sfa Be Held Accountable ? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

When Will The Sfa Be Held Accountable ?

Ally Bongo

The reason there are less kids playing football is because there is less encouragement for them to play football with the following being factored in.

No ball game signs.

Spare grass areas being sold for housing development.

The weather excuse ("it's too cold or wet to go out and play").

More cars on the road making street football impossible.

Less football in schools (infact, less PE in a lot of schools).

Police chasing kids away because somebody has booted the ball into a neighbours garden.

Kids being chased away from sports complexes (i.e. Broadwood astroturf) because they haven't paid to get in.

Boys clubs banning kids from participating in any other football activities, such as school teams or just playing with their mates.

Find a solution that allows kids to play where they want when they want (within reason) and we may well produce players again. What we need to do is stop making excuses for not qualifying for 17 years. Iceland have just proven that you don't need to be the biggest nation to produce a decent team with at least one top player (Sigurdsson) who can make a difference in a qualification campaign.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason there are less kids playing football is because there is less encouragement for them to play football with the following being factored in.

No ball game signs.

Police chasing kids away because somebody has booted the ball into a neighbours garden.

Kids being chased away from sports complexes (i.e. Broadwood astroturf) because they haven't paid to get in.

Boys clubs banning kids from participating in any other football activities, such as school teams or just playing with their mates.

Find a solution that allows kids to play where they want when they want (within reason) and we may well produce players again. What we need to do is stop making excuses for not qualifying for 17 years. Iceland have just proven that you don't need to be the biggest nation to produce a decent team with at least one top player (Sigurdsson) who can make a difference in a qualification campaign.

I can only speak for my area but the developments in kids football since I was a boy here have been huge. Thanks to the work of a few extraordinarily dedicated coaches, there's a thriving kids football scene from ages 3-16ish. IMO that more than makes up for less kids kicking a ball about, which you do still actually see quite a lot of. Of course I'm in a tiny part of the country so this might not be being replicated across the country but I'd like to hope that it is.

ye agreed, it was very disappointing when Mark Wotte left the scene, he seemed educated, and a change in direction that might help.

The SFA really is like a masonic lodge in secretivity, jobs for the boys, no change bull,, and it needs something, someone with ideas, personality, strong will, to change it, and the whole off our game..

Aberdeen are playing Celtic this weekend in top table clash, it should be built up to hell in the coming days, make our game look exciting, promote it, get kids to take notice, yet the SFA will do sod all and the MSN will do nothing but put our game down time and time again. Sky will have a token mention about 1130am on the Saturday and that's it.

There are talent players coming through, and certainly where im from you see the organization of youth football set up is good from primary all the way up.

Time will tell I guess

ye agreed, it was very disappointing when Mark Wotte left the scene, he seemed educated, and a change in direction that might help.

The SFA really is like a masonic lodge in secretivity, jobs for the boys, no change bull,, and it needs something, someone with ideas, personality, strong will, to change it, and the whole off our game..

Aberdeen are playing Celtic this weekend in top table clash, it should be built up to hell in the coming days, make our game look exciting, promote it, get kids to take notice, yet the SFA will do sod all and the MSN will do nothing but put our game down time and time again. Sky will have a token mention about 1130am on the Saturday and that's it.

There are talent players coming through, and certainly where im from you see the organization of youth football set up is good from primary all the way up.

Time will tell I guess

It was interesting watching the game on telly last night. With 5 min left the usual Sky Sports bar popped up advertising the next big game they'd be showing. Now, considering we were watching Scotland v Germany, you'd be safe to assume they were going to mention Aberdeen v Celtic this Saturday. Did they fcuk. Man Utd v Liverpool. Before agreeing to take their money the SFA should be making it a condition that during Scotland games the only football mentioned is Scottish games. But that would require a set of balls and some self-confidence, which we all know is sadly lacking.

I can only speak for my area but the developments in kids football since I was a boy here have been huge. Thanks to the work of a few extraordinarily dedicated coaches, there's a thriving kids football scene from ages 3-16ish. IMO that more than makes up for less kids kicking a ball about, which you do still actually see quite a lot of. Of course I'm in a tiny part of the country so this might not be being replicated across the country but I'd like to hope that it is.

That's the thing, one area of the country will have seen improvements like yours but another will stand still, one coach focus on technical development from an early age and another will insist on 11 asides for 9 year olds.

The facilities are gradually improving across the country but more needs to be done. We use things like weather as an excuse but the Scandanavian countries have a similar climate or worse but have done more to improve the quality of player they've brought through over the years.

Bottom line is, we need to be encouraging kids to playing football on a regular basis and not put barriers in place. Hopefully, we'll see improvements over time.

That's the thing, one area of the country will have seen improvements like yours but another will stand still, one coach focus on technical development from an early age and another will insist on 11 asides for 9 year olds.

The facilities are gradually improving across the country but more needs to be done. We use things like weather as an excuse but the Scandanavian countries have a similar climate or worse but have done more to improve the quality of player they've brought through over the years.

Bottom line is, we need to be encouraging kids to playing football on a regular basis and not put barriers in place. Hopefully, we'll see improvements over time.

I'd argue we should be encouraging kids to be healthy, active in any and all sports, and ensure they are athletes first and foremost. Im not sure how I feel about the current trend now of football clubs assimilating kids into their youth setups from 5/6 years old. I'd have no problem with us turning out more Rugby players, better golfers, faster cyclists, etc. We need far wider access to sport generally, healthy living, etc so that a much higher number of kids grow up healthier, fitter and happier. Im not sure just throwing football coaching at everyone is the right thing to do. Ive still seen nothing to suggest our revamped coaching setup is going to deliver anything other than drones who've been systematically coached to within an inch of their lives.

I'd argue we should be encouraging kids to be healthy, active in any and all sports, and ensure they are athletes first and foremost. Im not sure how I feel about the current trend now of football clubs assimilating kids into their youth setups from 5/6 years old. I'd have no problem with us turning out more Rugby players, better golfers, faster cyclists, etc. We need far wider access to sport generally, healthy living, etc so that a much higher number of kids grow up healthier, fitter and happier. Im not sure just throwing football coaching at everyone is the right thing to do. Ive still seen nothing to suggest our revamped coaching setup is going to deliver anything other than drones who've been systematically coached to within an inch of their lives.

:ok:

I only referenced football because that's what this particular discussion was relating to. Totally agree though that other sports should be encouraged, the more Andy Murray's & Chris Hoy's (for example) we create the better.

Are fewer children playing football? Does anyone have the stats to hand to back this up?

There surely won't be stats for street football or kickabouts down the park...

I've seen more children playing kerby in the streets than actual football recently.

I've watched my two sons play football from the age of 4 up to 18 and 16 now. I've seen coaches who are total headcases with no idea how to bring on players, just shouting and launching things at the side of the pitch when they don't win games.

I've seen my son go to pro-youth and been told first night that he wouldn't get kept on unless he was better than they already had (that's from an SPFL team) - same night I saw one boy emptied, almost in front of everyone and walk out in tears - probably lost to football. No thoughts of trying to integrate back into a local boys club, just right out the door!

The problem is not about enough young players, there are plenty out playing every weekend - its about the coaching of these players.

Why do boys at U13 go straight from playing 7-a-side on small pitches, onto full 3G pitches if available and look hopelessly lost on such a large pitch?

Why do coaches not play boys in all positions at 7-a-side development games - what's the point of playing them in same position for 5 years?

Why don't we play much more school football, give the boys a sense of pride at playing for the one team they can play for, obviously they can't play for another school?

There surely won't be stats for street football or kickabouts down the park...

I've seen more children playing kerby in the streets than actual football recently.

My guess would be that more kids play organised football, but far less football is played overall.

Never really see kids just out kicking a ball about.

Are fewer children playing football? Does anyone have the stats to hand to back this up?

Going on my oldest son, 14, not a great footballer but he tries and enjoys it, he tends to play on the astro at the local sports centre maybe 2/3/4 times a week with his mates, just a kick about.

My younger two, 10 and 9, are both with teams and train 2 nights per week, 3 hours in total, and have kick abouts in the front garden now and then. They also play at school at lunchtimes and breaks.

I can walk through the various parks of Dalgety Bay on any day of summer holidays or at weekend and I virtually never see kids playing there. I contrast that to when I was a kid and probably played 5 times a week on summer holidays, playing morning, noon and night.

My guess would be that more kids play organised football, but far less football is played overall.

Never really see kids just out kicking a ball about.

Yep, above what I just posted that probably backs up that. Organised to me even means heading to the local sports centre with your mates. Kicking a ball about means even just kicking it against a wall on your own.

It was interesting watching the game on telly last night. With 5 min left the usual Sky Sports bar popped up advertising the next big game they'd be showing. Now, considering we were watching Scotland v Germany, you'd be safe to assume they were going to mention Aberdeen v Celtic this Saturday. Did they fcuk. Man Utd v Liverpool. Before agreeing to take their money the SFA should be making it a condition that during Scotland games the only football mentioned is Scottish games. But that would require a set of balls and some self-confidence, which we all know is sadly lacking.

To be fair, they did advertise the Aberdeen - Celtic game in the same way during the first half.

For Scotland not producing a World Class player in over 40 years and for the deterioration year after year of the standard of the Scottish domestic game to the state that is now ?

Is it time the Scottish Government stepped in to oversee an overhaul or at least "encourage" change as it's clear the closed shop that is the Scottish Football authorities wont ?

The embarrassing amateurish organisation after Georgia and tonight (getting them stuck in traffic) speaks volumes of their priorities

it's not the SFA fault, it's our performance on the night in Georgia. That goes down the manager and players at that time. The sfa have done what the fans wanted.. appoint strachen.. what more do you want?

Blame the players.. the pitch... the manager... the ref.... but much we hate the sfa, they can't be blamed for a football match that happened. We also had plenty of time to get back into to that match after conceeding.

No ball game signs.

Usual lame excuses trotted out to exonerate the pampered youth of today

It's not rocket science. Let's just copy the many good examples set by other countries, sure we have some different challenges but there's it one that can't be overcame to produce a better standard of player.

We look and play like a lower league EPL / mid table championship side and have done for several years.

We look and play like a lower league EPL / mid table championship side and have done for several years.

Given that's where almost the entire squad play, it's not surprising.

So few Scottish players go further afield than England for long enough to make any impact.

I hope that Ryan Gauld proves an exception to that rule!

A lot of it appears to be down to attitude. Players seem to want an easy life, and the only ones who have any drive to better themselves tend to be the ones who have limited ability.

I always have a respect for the guys who make the most of their limited talent, it's a shame the ones who have a gift don't.

Seems like a few of you have worked out there has long been an agenda to put down Scottish football and let the EPL take over ('our' media being part of this). The Champions League clubs tried the same thing against international football.

I don't support the SNP or any political party but some very good points are being made here and especially about the ridicule factor (which, by the way, is easily countered when you tell the London media bigots that their league is over-financed and dominated by foreigners).

We spend so much time concentrating on results in boys football that we lose focus on what really matters - technique.

You saw it last night, the Germans spraying passes around from all angles and hitting the man. Even the Georgians managed it. We seem unable to string 2 passes together. That's basic stuff but youngsters are so focused on winning that they are brainwashed in to big aimless punts and hope for the best.

Same with the control and first touch. We need to get back to basics and encourage children to play good football with an emphasis on technique rather than a battling 1-0 win.

I'm not suggessting building competitive experience is not important but what we have is poor quality coaches and managers who want their teams to win at all costs, including sacrificing player development.