The Death Of Scottish Dialects - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Death Of Scottish Dialects

Sick of being ignored over here after two years because Yanks can't understand English outwith their own. I spent an adulthood back home always being told I had a strong Scottish accent. But that I always had a very understanding standard English accent in a Scots twang was reassuring too. But Yanks think we should all sound like those rich boy, Jessies McGregor and Butler annoys the heck out of me.

Edited by Ormond

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said, the accent isn't dying, just changing.

But I do disagree with the guy who said that people shouldn't lose their accents (although can't quote him for some reason). It is a natural thing to pick up sounds and words from your surroundings. I have spent 3 years in France and one in Holland, with mostly Irish friends and my accent has become some sort of weird Scottish-Irish-Northern European mess. Depending on the person, they guess I am from Ireland, Scotland, Scandinavia, Holland or Germany. Embrace the weird differences in the accents. Oh and my base Scottish accent isn't far from the one in the Kevin Bridges video I think. Guess I wont be very popular on here!!

Oh, and the over-pronounced R of the Glasgow Uni public school crowd is nothing new. It just so happens that they all got apartments bought for them by their fathers in the early 90s so now they're concentrated there.

Apartment? Father?

Where I come from they're flats and das!!!

My primary school was very keen to promote doric as we had anual doric poem competitions,doric school plays ect... We had a study done on how we talked from the aberdeen university as our village is thought to talk the closest to "old doric" anywhere in the noth Scotland

I remember my dide(grandfather) telling me that during the first war, people from the northeast who spoke doric tried to claim they were bilingual as you got more money if you spoke two languages, not sure how much truth there is to that... You still have people arguing doric is a language on its own

My pal's sister in law's wee boy sounds like he was brought up in LA or somewhere like that. Other than the odd holiday he's never spent any length of time outside of Scotland (he's 6 or 7). Apparently it's from all the TV he watches! I've never heard a Scottish kid with an accent like it.

My cousin's wee boy had a decent Glaswegian accent. They moved to Brisbane, and he got bullied at school for it. He now sounds like Joe Mangel.

The cut off is 14 or 15. Kids under that age will adopt the accent, after the 14/15 mark, it's impossible to lose it seemingly - works for all languages.

I still sound Scots, but have stopped using words like "barket", "hingin'", "clorty", you just fed up having to repeat yersel, so you slow down and ennounciate more, and try and be as clear as you can - so easy when you relax we pals and forget they are OZ, they normally get used to ya tho. Girls over here love the Scots accent, a Dundee accent so GIRFUY.

As soon as Dad or the bairn comes over tho, its straight back into the normal, but you sometimes slip up and have to take pelters...

Funny one for me....

My Aunty Mary was a nurse in Ninewells Dundee - Doc says in posh English Accent "Well mary about about this Scottish weather ?", Anuty Mary puts on posh Dundee Accent :lol::lol: and say "Yes, I know Doctor, and those WHOLE stones yesterday were no half coming down" :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Ward was in creases.....apparently.

as a side, I love hearing Kyle Falconer from the VIEW getting interviewed. Ken whit a mean ?

Edited by HUNTINGMcGREGOR

My nephew goes to primary school in Dumfries and gets told by the teacher that he shouldn't use any of the slightly peculiar words they use down there. Real shame imo.

It was the same at my school yet come every January they would be flinging all that Rabbie Burns pish doon our throats

Have to put up with this nonsense in embra https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ein57OSrqoA

Comments are very interesting. It sounds like a Fifer tae me, and not at all like Dundee (unlike some comments on Youtube).

I take it to west coasters (all Weegies to us) Fife, Perth, Dundee - all sound the same-ish, yet they sound very different if you're from this area. Angus is a very interesting accent - Monifieth, Carnoustie mostly sounds like mild Dundonian to me, yet 6 miles towards Arbroath or the ferms - it's more Aberdonian sounding (for want of a better description).

The dialects are changing, but not dying. Not just like dialects, but the world's languages are changing thanks to social media/internet and globilasation. Places where English is strong as a second language with many e.g Iceland, Sweden - kids are using tons of English slang in their own language. Two kids below me in Reykjavik both Icelandic were playing in English, and young kids use all the US buzz/slang words. There's fears even their langauge may die out in a 100 years!

Although hopefully we don't all end up sounding like the Reporting Scotland team in the future.

Comments are very interesting. It sounds like a Fifer tae me, and not at all like Dundee (unlike some comments on Youtube).

I take it to west coasters (all Weegies to us) Fife, Perth, Dundee - all sound the same-ish, yet they sound very different if you're from this area. Angus is a very interesting accent - Monifieth, Carnoustie mostly sounds like mild Dundonian to me, yet 6 miles towards Arbroath or the ferms - it's more Aberdonian sounding (for want of a better description).

The dialects are changing, but not dying. Not just like dialects, but the world's languages are changing thanks to social media/internet and globilasation. Places where English is strong as a second language with many e.g Iceland, Sweden - kids are using tons of English slang in their own language. Two kids below me in Reykjavik both Icelandic were playing in English, and young kids use all the US buzz/slang words. There's fears even their langauge may die out in a 100 years!

Although hopefully we don't all end up sounding like the Reporting Scotland team in the future.

Interesting, just remembered when I was in oz i met and chatted to folk what seemed like every part of the world and a common theme was American phrases and accents because they used programmes like friends etc to learn English.

Dundonian must be the most unique of all. Usually an accent will be from a county or small region. As in Weegie from Strathclyde, Perth from Perthshire, Fife, etc. But in Dundee I tend to find the strong part of the accent is confined to the city itself.

Interesting, just remembered when I was in oz i met and chatted to folk what seemed like every part of the world and a common theme was American phrases and accents because they used programmes like friends etc to learn English.

Aye, was talking to a boy in a Brugge boozer and asked him where in the states he came from. Turned oot he was Belgian (Flemish) and had never been to the states - just watched yank films all day to learn English.

Folk that lose there accents (excluding children) after two ####in minutes get on ma paps tae.

Next March it'll be 30 years since I moved away from Scotland. I might not use slang as much unless I'm talking to another Scot, but my accent hasn't changed a bit.

I'd pay good money to watch a cage fight to the death between Sheena Easton, Gerard Butler and a Bengal tiger.

Been away for over 6 years now and I'm determined not to loose my accent and try and still use slang words/phrases. Even managed to get my Essex misses to use Scots words now and again

Aye, was talking to a boy in a Brugge boozer and asked him where in the states he came from. Turned oot he was Belgian (Flemish) and had never been to the states - just watched yank films all day to learn English.

Think with folk who learn a different language (well certainly English) they pick up the accent of where they learned it.

(See Jorg Albertz or Thomas Gravesen)

Suppose that's a slightly different effect.

Think with folk who learn a different language (well certainly English) they pick up the accent of where they learned it.

(See Jorg Albertz or Thomas Gravesen)

Suppose that's a slightly different effect.

I think Jan Molby and Morten Wieghorst are the best examples.

While over working at our offices in norway i was talking to an emloyee whom i thought was an expat and asked where in scotland he was from, he burst out lauging as he was born and bred in stavanger, he just picked up the scotish accent over the phone and from the many scots who regularly work with him. i am usually good with accents and couldnt believe he was not originally from scotland