Nfl 15/16 - Page 8 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nfl 15/16

Bristolhibby

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing what you can buy when you can make the players play for free.

This is an interesting point.

At the moment they don't get paid a wage but they do get a free college education (which could cost about $20k a year or more) plus room and board, free textbooks, expenses, etc

They also get all the benefits of being coached, nutritional advice, etc. As far as I can work out colleges do not get compensated by the NFL for this when a player is drafted?

The colleges obviously generate a huge income though so the question is whether they should be paid proportional to that. But what about other sports where the college doesn't make much or any money (cross country, fitba, swimming, etc). Should those athletes also get paid?

This is an interesting point.

At the moment they don't get paid a wage but they do get a free college education (which could cost about $20k a year or more) plus room and board, free textbooks, expenses, etc

They also get all the benefits of being coached, nutritional advice, etc. As far as I can work out colleges do not get compensated by the NFL for this when a player is drafted?

The colleges obviously generate a huge income though so the question is whether they should be paid proportional to that. But what about other sports where the college doesn't make much or any money (cross country, fitba, swimming, etc). Should those athletes also get paid?

College sports in the US are based on a system of pure exploitation of the athletes, these guys are full time football players with all the risk that entails, life altering injuries included, masquerading as students on a scholarship to puff up the earnings of the institutions and the bank balance of a few elite coaches.

Amazing what you can buy when you can make the players play for free.

Aye heard Jalen Rose go on about not paying collegiate athletes a lot. Says they generate all the income get nothing in return, that's why some go to china instead of college.

These guys are full time football players with all the risk that entails, life altering injuries included, masquerading as students on a scholarship to puff up the earnings of the institutions and the bank balance of a few elite coaches.

Wow, yeah, didn't realise it was quite so bad. Have a look at this...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/do-college-athletes-have-time-to-be-students/

40 hours a week does not leave much time for getting a degree. Suppose they are all just chasing the dream of making it as a professional.

Having said that it isn't the same for all sports. I know guys who ran track at top level colleges and also came out with good degrees.

Not a NFL fan, but slowly starting to get into it now.

Watched the Panthers v Green Bay match at the weekend, and the last 20 or so minutes when Green Bay came back from the dead to being in touching distance of getting a winner was as good as any football match I have seen.

Also caught during the commentary that Carolina have a Scot from Arbroath in their team as a kicker.

There are no words that can explain fully just how frustrating it is to be a Cowboys fan :(

Start following the Jets and you will find them ..

Great win there by the Patriots. One of the best games I've seen for ages, loads of big plays and controversy. It was good to see Brady throwing 50 tard passes again.

Although I'm becoming more and more convinced that it'd be better for the Patriots to lose a game in the next few weeks. There is no tangible value to chasing 16-0, when its the Playoffs that matter.

cannot believe how unlucky yous were tonight, especially after that fumble to be overuled due to a holding call!

It's not unlucky though, it's idiocy and indiscipline.

There's so much talent in that team but it's not performing to the level they get aid to.

It's not unlucky though, it's idiocy and indiscipline.

There's so much talent in that team but it's not performing to the level they get aid to.

They have royally ####ed up this year. Lots of stories of an unhappy camp. Romo back next week to paper over the cracks.

They have royally ######ed up this year. Lots of stories of an unhappy camp. Romo back next week to paper over the cracks.

So many plays yesterday were doomed to failure before we even snapped the ball. I could see where our linemen were going to be overloaded and that a run play would go nowhere or that Cassell would be hurried/sacked. So if i can see it, why can't a well paid and experienced NFL QB?

How much authority does Cassell have to change the play at the line of scrimmage?

Romo will be back and we'll probably end the season 7-9 or 6-10. For a team as talented as Dallas, that's completely unacceptable.

Great win there by the Patriots. One of the best games I've seen for ages, loads of big plays and controversy. It was good to see Brady throwing 50 tard passes again.

Although I'm becoming more and more convinced that it'd be better for the Patriots to lose a game in the next few weeks. There is no tangible value to chasing 16-0, when its the Playoffs that matter.

I'm just going to assume you cheated ? ...........

On a serious note there was talk of a big conspiracy beforehand that you would give the game to the Giants to get the 16-0 monkey off your back and i thought for a while it would come true

Because quite frankly the Giants have been utter cack - they nearly lost to Dallas with a back up QB at home

Maybe the Pats injuries are starting to bite however Brady just looks better every week especially when the chips are down

Hate to say it but injuries are the only way you wont win the Superbowl

Three games. A new stadium. At least three new teams.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS vs. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

NFC EAST OPPONENT vs. ST. LOUIS RAMS

WASHINGTON REDSKINS vs. CINCINNATI BENGALS

Those are among the highlights of the 2016 UK International Series schedule as the NFL will reward its incredible UK fans for their passion and support by adding a new stadium experience at Twickenham and feature at least three teams that have not previously played a regular-season game in London.

The JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS will host the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS in an AFC South division matchup in Week 4 on Sunday, October 2, at Wembley Stadium; in Week 7 on Sunday, October 23, in the first-ever NFL game at Twickenham Stadium, the ST. LOUIS RAMS will host the NFC East team that finishes in the same spot in the standings as the Rams do in the NFC West based on the NFL’s scheduling formula; and in Week 8 on Sunday, October 30, the CINCINNATI BENGALS will play their first international game when they host the WASHINGTON REDSKINS at Wembley.

The formula for the second game means that the Rams will face either the Philadelphia Eagles making their first regular-season trip to the UK, the Dallas Cowboys or New York Giants making return visits, or Washington becoming the first team to play in consecutive weeks in London.

Even worse games than this year. All the Packers rumours prove to be unfounded. I thought the idea of the Jaguars playing a road game too was a good one, but that was maybe contingent on there being 4 games...

Edited by The Giant

Can't wait for tonight!! A solid 5 hours of NFL from when I get home until I go to bed (have to work tomorrow). Will then watch the full compressed version of the late game on Gamepass tomorrow night.

God bless the USA. I love Thanksgiving day NFL :)