The Budget - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Companies paying the living wage already, can they pay the new living wage instead and still be an accredited living wage provider?

No idea.

It was just a label. Invent a new one.i'm just glad some people are in a possibly better position.

If organisations are commuted to a real living wage they will move. If they are just collecting marketing scout badges they will not.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't just a label before today. But Osborne has been very smart, I'll give him that.

It was just a label. It wasn't enforceable.

Today's outcome is that the minimum wage is better than anyone was seriously pushing for. The living wage label has been high jacked but, dependent on net outcome, that is ok.

Think of a new label and push for that.

It was just a label. It wasn't enforceable.

Today's outcome is that the minimum wage is better than anyone was seriously pushing for. The living wage label has been high jacked but, dependent on net outcome, that is ok.

Think of a new label and push for that.

The real living wage maybe?

It wasn't enforceable but it was more than a label and companies could be accredited living wage providers.

With the tax credit cuts and inflation this isn't a living wage and it's a joke to call it that, sadly something most of the media are promoting without shame.

Nicola Sturgeon ‏@NicolaSturgeon 10h10 hours ago

£7.20ph nxt yr & £9 by 2020 is increase in minimum wage (tho offset by cuts in tax credits) but it's not living wage - LW is already £7.85

Oh FFS. We have an increase in the minimum wage (legally enforceable) its name has has changed. Glad the SnP will now be able to make their sub-contactirs pay their staff more rather than talk about what would be nice.

If anyone knows the net effect could you give me a shout as I have people working through the night to work out what it really means.

The real living wage maybe?

It wasn't enforceable but it was more than a label and companies could be accredited living wage providers.

With the tax credit cuts and inflation this isn't a living wage and it's a joke to call it that, sadly something most of the media are promoting without shame.

Real living wage could work.

Organisations collect accreditations like Boy Scout badges.

Last part, no idea. Got props working on it. Will let you know.

Oh FFS. We have an increase in the minimum wage (legally enforceable) its name has has changed. Glad the SnP will now be able to make their sub-contactirs pay their staff more rather than talk about what would be nice.

If anyone knows the net effect could you give me a shout as I have people working through the night to work out what it really means.

How much are you paying them?

As I just said, it comes from a Tory so it must be bad.

Funny budget in my view. More like a Jim Callaghan budget than a Thatcher budget.

That is usually par for the course. :)

Joking aside, some commentators have been saying it is the budget Ed Balls would have delivered had Labour won the election.

I welcome the minimum wage increase - as I said it on an other thread, it is a more radical increase than that proposed by Labour or the SNP. What I object to is the 'give with one hand, take with the other' aspect of the budget.

They've played it well though, in a political sense, effectively stealing Labour's 'kinda left-wing but not really' clothes and getting the message out there that it's a budget for 'ordinary people'.

Only if the EU lets them. :wink2:

There a wee calculator here that shows the effect of the budget:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/ng-interactive/2015/jul/08/budget-calculator-summer-2015-impact-household-finances

Disclaimer: it's from the Graudiad so it possibly disnae work properly.

The low paid with children will lose out massively with this budget, and I don't need a team of people working through the night to know this. Another smoke and mirrors budget and it's sad to see our impartial BBC trumpeting all the 'good' parts of this budget.

There a wee calculator here that shows the effect of the budget:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/ng-interactive/2015/jul/08/budget-calculator-summer-2015-impact-household-finances

Disclaimer: it's from the Graudiad so it possibly disnae work properly.

It doesn't seem to work. If you put in 1 parent working FT, with 15 kids then it only shows £1k per year worse off so I don't see how that can be taking account of the reduction of support to max, 2 kids and/or the household benefits cap of £20k/£23k.

I'm not sure what that says about the rest of the calculations but at a glance I think it underestimates the amount of additional income that is being presented by the raising of the tax threshold and 40% rate.

He'd be better examining the budget, rather than the Daily Mail's interpretation of it.

Aye, fairy nuff.

Just thought it was interesting to see how the right wing media have tried to class it as a great budget

Aye, fairy nuff.

Just thought it was interesting to see how the right wing media have tried to class it as a great budget

Of course they have. They're all as minted as you ;) Edited by Parklife

TV news tonight keeps going on about the new Tory "living wage" of £9 an hour. Are folk so ignorant as to believe these lies constantly spouted by our media? This so called new living wage is nothing more than a modest increase to the minimum wage. The minimum wage is currently £6.50. It was already due to go up to £6.70 in October 2015. What he actually announced today was that from March 2016 the "living wage" will be £7.20. It won't go up to £9 until 2019/2020.

If we are generous to them and a accept the they are increasing the minimum wage by 50p per hour, that is still only £20 a week. After deduction of NI that is less than £18. Less than the price of 2 fish suppers and 3 pints of beer. Very generous you posh toffy nosed Tory .

Where do you live for 3 pints and 2 Fish Suppers for £18 ?

He'd be better examining the budget, rather than the Daily Mail's interpretation of it.

Plenty of other places commenting on the budget, The whole concept of Wings is to comment on the media.

Of course they have. They're all as minted as you ;)

:-))

Just to nip this in the bud.... i'm certainly not "minted"!

Why, just the other evening I shopped at LIDL*

(*Waitrose closes at 4)