The Budget - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We should always fix the roof when the sun is shining"

F!uck off you utter mutant!

You're not even a good bad chancellor, yous said the deficit would be gone in the last parliament

That's quite a good line.

If you know nothing about politics or the economy, the guy talks a good game.

So the Tories are not cutting as quickly as they had intended (£12bn reduction in 3 years, rather than 2), we won't move into surplus until 2019/20 (rather than a year earlier as per their manifesto), and they're tinkering around with the non-doms (which they slated Labour for pledging and said that this would lead to tax loss as people left).

I'm sure that overall they are still being as Tory as you would expect them to be but the above shows unsurprising signs that: A) They're already breaking their commitments B) They're absolutely hypocritical in their criticism of Labour/SNP et al C) Even they are not committed to the pace of austerity which they claim is required.

I'm sure that enough of the rest of the tinkering around will allow their hardened/wealthier supporters to ignore these facts rather than have any concerns that they're not quite living up to their pre-election headline promises on the deficit. It just shows up the austerity headlines for the sham that they are as they allow the carve up the country (and classes) exactly as they desire.

Labour looking ####ed in 2020 now though. Fabrication of a Living Wage might be palty and meaningless but it sh*ts all over Labour's proposals and even exceeds what the SNP proposes. That makes a serious dent in traditional Labour ground they'll struggle to get back. Long way through to 2020 but Osbourne quite clearly triangulating best Labour lines.

Ach well, the longer the Tories remain in power, the more likely independence will be. Every cloud, etc.

I see Wings over Scotland is taunting Blair McDougall for whining about the Tory budget.

But the told-you-so attitude - "So do everyone a favour and shut your mouths today, No voters." is hardly a way of winning over No voters.

I see Wings over Scotland is taunting Blair McDougall for whining about the Tory budget.

But the told-you-so attitude - "So do everyone a favour and shut your mouths today, No voters." is hardly a way of winning over No voters.

Indeed. Nae need for it. The concept of independence is already out there. Simply point out what the Tories are doing and people will come to their own conclusions.

Abolition of the student grant, basically kicking the ladder away for the poorest students.

Student in England graduating with minimum of 50K debt, interest rate of RPI+3%, literally a lifetime's worth.

There is no effective opposition in Westminster to the Tories. The current crop of labour leadership contenders do not have an effective counter proposal as whatever Government is in place they will still have to make deep cuts. Osborne has managed to implement a budget that appeals labour's core vote.

Edited by EddardStark

There is no effective opposition in Westminster to the Tories. The current crop of labour leadership contenders do not have an effective counter proposal as whatever Government is in place they will still have to make deep cuts. Osborne has managed to implement a budget that appeals labour's core vote.

Why do they have to make deep cuts?

If this is a budget that appeals to labour voters then things are worse than I thought

Why do they have to make deep cuts?

If this is a budget that appeals to labour voters then things are worse than I thought

Because we (voters in England) have bought into the narrative that there is no alternative. And despite what Scotland/Wales or NI thinks we are all on this ride together. England has spoken and austerity is the buzzword.

J

Scottish Labour @scottishlabour 5h5 hours ago

Nearly 300,000 families in Scotland will be affected by George Osborne’s cuts to tax credits

Wings Over Scotland @WingsScotland 3m3 minutes ago

.@scottishlabour Yeah, thanks for that, tossers. #bettertogether

Because we (voters in England) have bought into the narrative that there is no alternative. And despite what Scotland/Wales or NI thinks we are all on this ride together. England has spoken and austerity is the buzzword.

J

In your defence the opposition other than the Greens didn't offer an alternative.

The Tories are evil and almost brilliant, they've got labour still saying sorry for the crash when they were in office

In your defence the opposition other than the Greens didn't offer an alternative.

The Tories are evil and almost brilliant, they've got labour still saying sorry for the crash when they were in office

I know, Labour are in disarray, the Tories are already think about how to pummel them in the next General Election.

J

I know, Labour are in disarray, the Tories are already think about how to pummel them in the next General Election.

J

The catch, as Professor Steve Keen says, is that when austerity is proven to be a complete disaster the Tories dont have anyone to blame

The catch, as Professor Steve Keen says, is that when austerity is proven to be a complete disaster the Tories dont have anyone to blame

So we need things to get worse before they get better. Ironically the very thing that will push Scotland apart from the rump.

J

And so they should. Couldn't run a piss up in a brewery.

Which will be fine but they have a buzzword that people vote for, they are actually just managing the economy. They may it up but I suspect that they will do a better job than the last labour government.

They eased up on austerity in 2012 after it slowed growth from 2010, so when the economy grew as a result of the change they said it was because they were fixing the economy and austerity was working.

As I said, forget the buzzwords to get elected, they will just manage it, for better or worse according to their ability.

Austerity and tax rises. I'd like to hear something apart from rhetoric.

Mixed budget with good bits and bad bits. What were people expecting?

But they aren't managing it. Osborne said in 2010 they would deal with the deficit, why are we to believe him now? Guess we've no choice.

And labour didn't cause the crash in 2008 something they need to stop apologising for.

Edited by ParisInAKilt