Wc Pot 2 - What Is Needed - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wc Pot 2 - What Is Needed

tartanpar

Pot 4 : Lapland

Pot 5 : Melchester Rovers

Pot 6 : Me and my Mum

This will be part of England's draw (copyright Absolutely).

If would be "real roy of the rovers stuff" if melchester could qualify from that group.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pity. How high a ranked team would we have had to have beaten last week instead of Qatar to have made Pot 2?...

Don't think it would have made a huge difference. Playing a friendly against even Germany would probably not been enough.

I would be interesting to see what our ranking would have been if we never played Qatar or Enland.

Edited by tartanpar

This would be a good draw that would give us a chance to qualify.

Wales

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Scotland

Faroe Islands

Moldova

Andorra

Faroe islands being a pot 4 side is just mental. They seem to have just come on leaps and bounds over the last few years. I know you can only beat the teams you are drawn against, but considering how long they were pot 6 sides that is a great achievement.

Faroe islands being a pot 4 side is just mental. They seem to have just come on leaps and bounds over the last few years. I know you can only beat the teams you are drawn against, but considering how long they were pot 6 sides that is a great achievement.

Amazing achievement. Now they have pot 4 they will have the chance to play 2 weaker teams and more chances to win games.

Edited by tartanpar

Faroe Islands are an improving side so I would sooner avoid them.

Yes they are. But they will still be by far and away the weakest pot 4 side.

They got 1 point from their World Cup qualifying group with Germany, Austria, Sweden, rep of Ireland and Kazakhstan. I this qualifying group they have beaten a Greek side who are in utter disarray twice but lost all 4 other games to Finland, Northern Ireland, Hungary and Romania.

So, in my opinion, you'd be mental to want to avoid them as a pot 4 team. I would be celebrating!

Don't be fooled into thinking the Faroe's would not be a dream pot 4 team to have.

Since 2011 they have beaten Gibraltar and Greece twice.

Greece are a complete mess atm and yes credit to Faroe Islands for beating them no doubt, but Greece have been ranked in the top 20 for years until recently and that has played a part in the Faroe's rise up the rankings.

The Faroe's have always been an OK team out of the minnows, they never seem to get hammered at home, but give me them any day of the week as a pot 4 team.

Not sure how to post pics from my phone. So here is a link to a tweet that shows the pots ahead or the final games tonight and friendlies on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/We_Global/status/609825767204237312?s=01

England are guaranteed pot 1 now.

France are pot 2.

One of the following teams will also be in pot 2 - Italy/Spain/Croatia/Portugal

Don't want England either but we shot ourselves in the foot at Wembley and the second game was pointless and came after the Ireland win. They were fresh and up for it, us not so much.

As for Wales, we were awful back then but the disallowed goal and Bale's one-in-a-million last minute long ranger just because Adam/Hutton (?) didn't stick a foot out? Fine margins. We were very comfortable - albeit very average - at Hampden against Wales too when we were leading until that crazy spell near the end.

I don't fear Wales or England but the second England game knocked our confidence and they'd raise their game again for us, plus I get the sense that any defensive mistake or sloppiness (which we are still prone to) against them will be punished.

Edited by stactuso85

I'd like a crack at Romania as our top seed, was watching them against NI and doing some general research on them and it seems like they are finally becoming something of a force again.

Got a young, talented team, average age must be about 22.

Think EURO 2016 will have come a bit too early for them, but by time the next one rolls around they should've hit something of what they show in flashes now.

Let Strachan's Scotland teach them youngsters a lesson next qualifying campaign please!

I get the sense that any defensive mistake or sloppiness (which we are still prone to) against them will be punished.

That's the problem - we would have a very low EPL/high SPFL quality team against a top EPL quality team. We could nick a win - but any mistakes would be punished.