Strachan Or O Neill - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm pretty sure Strachan had a better record than O'Neill.

And I'd be wrong.

Both won the league 3 times but O'Neill has 3 Scottish Cups to Strachan's 1 although Strachan won the LC twice with O'Neill winning it once. O'Neill also has the UEFA Cup Final. All in all O'Neill lifted 7 trophies to Strachan's 6. That was however over 5 seasons while WGS was only there for 3.

And I'd be wrong.

Both won the league 3 times but O'Neill has 3 Scottish Cups to Strachan's 1 although Strachan won the LC twice with O'Neill winning it once. O'Neill also has the UEFA Cup Final. All in all O'Neill lifted 7 trophies to Strachan's 6. That was however over 5 seasons while WGS was only there for 3.

Hard to compare.

Strachans trophies average is better.

Is the UEFA cup final as good as 2 chanps league last 16? (u didnt add that - did he do it twice?)

WGS also won 3 in a row...

O neil won every trophy Strachan didnae get Scottish Cup so thats a minus for him....

IMO Strachan was Better..... but I am biased..

Hard to compare.

Strachans trophies average is better.

Is the UEFA cup final as good as 2 chanps league last 16? (u didnt add that - did he do it twice?)

WGS also won 3 in a row...

O neil won every trophy Strachan didnae get Scottish Cup so thats a minus for him....

IMO Strachan was Better..... but I am biased..

Strachan won the Scottish Cup in '07.

ok, Missed that..

He wins then,,,,,

Strachan it is..

he has also beaten O neill at International level as well..

O'Neill won 2 league cups in England though. As well as a few trophies with Wycombe in the lower leagues.

I've got much fonder memories of MON's time as manager, but a lot of that was down to the players & money he was able to work with.

Things ended on a downer under Strachan, but his record was superb & I never got my head around the hostility from a lot of Celtic fans. That said, I think most Celtic fans are now far more positive when they talk about him.

MON's tactics simply haven't evolved over time & Ireland play the same very direct stuff his teams were playing years ago. When you look at how we play under Strachan, he's moved with the times alright.

Both have their own qualities, but Strachan is a better manager on the whole for me.

Things ended on a downer under Strachan, but his record was superb & I never got my head around the hostility from a lot of Celtic fans.

That's actually a bit of a media myth if we're being completely honest.

There may have been a small section of the support a bit underwhelmed by his appointment and not impressed by the start he made but the same could be said about Ronnie Deila.

My recollection was the hard core celtic fans turned against WGS when he came out and said, I don't buy into this irish connection.

I may have red hair but I am scotiish, exit stage left soon after.

Can you link me up to where he said that please?

I'd be astounded if that was true and even more so that I hadn't heard anyone mention it before.

My recollection was the hard core celtic fans turned against WGS when he came out and said, I don't buy into this irish connection.

I may have red hair but I am scotiish, exit stage left soon after.

I don't think that happened.

The O'Neil years were more fun but we had some fantastic players because we spent a lot of money. Seville was special. O'Neil didnt have a plan B and was far too loyal to players. He doesnt have that ruthless streak that top managers have and the ability to know when to get rid of a player even if they've been great for you in the past.

Strachan took over a shambles of a squad and had to build it quickly with cheap and free players. He had a better record in the CL but had the advantage of being a higher seeding because of O'Neil's successes.

Both managers did a fine job but for me, Strachan did slightly better.

I'd be astounded if that was true and even more so that I hadn't heard anyone mention it before.

He said he was Scottish and happy to be so. Whether anyone likes it or not the Irish connection is real and not manufactured. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I've no facts to back it up by it felt like MON spent far more than WGS and didn't ever get the consistency out of his squad. He did manage some big wins/events like the UEFA cup final and giving us a couple of pumpings.

WGS built a squad that kept on winning. He is a far better manager in my book.

Whether anyone likes it or not the Irish connection is real and not manufactured. Nothing to be ashamed of.

It's manufactured for the thousands of Scots who follow Celtic and Ireland instead of getting behind the country that they were born into and educated in.

That's actually a bit of a media myth if we're being completely honest.

There may have been a small section of the support a bit underwhelmed by his appointment and not impressed by the start he made but the same could be said about Ronnie Deila.

Nah, I don't think it was media myth. A lot of fans didn't want him & whilst he managed to win plenty round, it never took much for the grumbles to start. Our last season in particular, lots wanted him gone again.

I still had my season ticket when Strachan was the manager & I remember the Motherwell game where we lost 1-0. "Strachan, Strachan, GTF" was loud & clear that day.

I'm not sure what the reasons are - not being a "Sellik man" is often the reason given. I honestly wasn't blown away when he was appointed, but I always liked him (wanted him as the Scotland manager long before he got the job). It was more how his appointment came about. Getting told MON was leaving & this is what you're getting - was a lot to take in. It was also the morning of Helicopter Sunday if I remember right? I thought we should have looked about for other options, but it turned out for the best.