League Reconstruction - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Reconstruction

The current 12 team splitting into two 6's has always been uneven with regard to home/away fixtures.

Due to playing other teams 3 times and then 5 games after split. There can never be equal number of home and away games.

So...if the Premier clubs can only be persuaded to make a smaller revision to division sizes, then the best and simplest alternative for the current 42 league clubs is a 14-14-14 three division league.

The 14 teams in each division to play two full H/A rounds, 26 games, then split into half divisions of 7 teams who then play another two rounds of H/A fixtures against the other 6 clubs in their half, 12 more games, a total of 38 fixtures with an equal number of home and away games.

Now someone will point out that a half division of 7 teams leaves one club not playing in each round of post-split fixtures, but that will at least give players a little rest and supporters too a rest on their football costs.

The clubs missing out in the final round of fixtures should be thoise nearest the middle at the split (7th & 8th) to increase the chances of relegation or title chasing teams playing at the end.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be an 18 team premier league play each other twice with a league of 12 and 12 below that, simple play each team once at home and away, makes the league fresher only seeing the team once a season at your own park and new teams in would freshen it up, i know i have always wanted see QOS in the league, never had opportunity for Motherwell play down there. Imagine St Mirren and Morton both in premier league theres 2 sellouts a season, and if Ayr utd got back up them and Killie in same league be another 2 sellouts, got good teams like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers who wehn play each other as well always get good crowds as near each other or derbies add that when they play Hibs or Hearts always good crowds as only over forth road bridge away from each other. We defo need to change it not next season but following should aim for 18 team premier league, would love to see that.

Coule introduce play offs as well for europa league spot like dutch and belgian league do and playoffs at the bottom for relegation so teams always got something to play for.

don't know if you are old enough to recall a pretty similar model in the old divisions in the 70s

epic fail , as teams outside the top and bottom spent half the season in comfort zone

still maintain the 6000 all seater, or lower this again (from the initial 10,000) ?

don't know if you are old enough to recall a pretty similar model in the old divisions in the 70s

epic fail , as teams outside the top and bottom spent half the season in comfort zone

still maintain the 6000 all seater, or lower this again (from the initial 10,000) ?

There should be minimum seat requirement in Scotland.

And comfort zone could apply to any league and where in the world with 18/20 top league.

Personally 16 is plenty I think with 30 games.

Winter break.

There should be minimum seat requirement in Scotland.

And comfort zone could apply to any league and where in the world with 18/20 top league.

Personally 16 is plenty I think with 30 games.

Winter break.

I think a 16 team top league with 30 games being the played is the most sensible option. If you put group stages back into the League Cup, that's a few additional games. There's probably still room for a winter break.

That said, I'm not a fan of the winter break. Largely for selfish reasons but also I'm not really sure what purpose it serves. If you're lucky and the weather is terrible, across the whole of Scotland and at the exact same time as the break is scheduled then yes I can see the point with fewer call off's, fans not travelling in dangerous conditions and the pitches being protected etc. The chances of this happening are pretty slim.

Any winter break should be for 3-4 weeks, after new year games, starting back with the 4th round of the cup last saturday in January. I think we should bring forward the start of the season to accommodate this. We could have all our teams out of Europe before a balls kicked, it's mental!

(I think competitive games earlier could help our teams in Europe?)

Any winter break should be for 3-4 weeks, after new year games, starting back with the 4th round of the cup last saturday in January. I think we should bring forward the start of the season to accommodate this. We could have all our teams out of Europe before a balls kicked, it's mental!

(I think competitive games earlier could help our teams in Europe?)

Sounds good to me.

Yes you're right but that was when it was two points for a win, teams used to play for a draw away from home and it was seen as a good result. As long as there's decent relegation in an 18 team league - bottom 3 down then 4th and 5th bottom involved in play offs - that would make little room for a comfort zone.

Now someone will point out that a half division of 7 teams leaves one club not playing in each round of post-split fixtures, but that will at least give players a little rest and supporters too a rest on their football costs.

The clubs missing out in the final round of fixtures should be thoise nearest the middle at the split (7th & 8th) to increase the chances of relegation or title chasing teams playing at the end.

Edited due to lack of reading ability.

Edited by Marky

16-10-Regionalised

Should provide closer top league with the flexibility for a winter shutdown and/or postponements when the weather turns as no way we'd go for something like summer footie. Also give flexibility for more league cup matches

Close to my preference. I'd go for 16-16 then regional, brining the Highland and Lowland Leages into a big pyramid. By the time teams get to the top 32 they can bloomin' well travel Highlands to Borders for an away match on a Tuesday night. Lower than that, keep it regional.

I'd also move to summer football with a five week break through June/July to allow for World Cup/holidays.

Two down in the 16, third bottom plays off v third top. Similar at the bottom of Div 2. Oh - and that's the names as well, Division 1 and Division 2. None of this Premiership/Championship shite.

How many clubs are currently full time ? And how many semi-pro ?

Full-time clubs will probably expect 34+ league games...

Changing the season was discussed on Off The Ball on Saturday....

Personally I wouldn't mind football during the summer. But equally the Christmas/New Year period has to stay.

Maybe THAT could be the end of the season...with a start beginning of March or thereabouts.

The European qualifying rounds would then be towards mid season and could give our clubs a better chance.

Obviously World Cups etc would need to be accommodated into the schedule too but I think other countries cope alright (Scandinavia etc)

So an absolute rocket of a Hun jumps in and makes up shit (again) about "frothing madness" when this thread couldn't be more a more happy place to be.

That mob aren't wired right

It was a joke ya big sensitive jobbie!

I didn't add the smiley as I thought it was obvious.

I think M&S do a special sense of humour pack?

Personally I wouldn't mind football during the summer. But equally the Christmas/New Year period has to stay.

Maybe THAT could be the end of the season...with a start beginning of March or thereabouts.

Yup. I've long been an advocate of this. Think how good going to a league decider on January 2nd would be. Or a boxing day relegation head-to-head.

How many clubs are currently full time ? And how many semi-pro ?

Full-time clubs will probably expect 34+ league games...

Changing the season was discussed on Off The Ball on Saturday....

The European qualifying rounds would then be towards mid season and could give our clubs a better chance.

Obviously World Cups etc would need to be accommodated into the schedule too but I think other countries cope alright (Scandinavia etc)

That does sound good, would really improve the Scottish game in my opinion. Not just in Europa/Champions League put potentially sponsorship and TV deals? There doesn't seem to be ANY league football on Sky/BT over summer apart from the MLS.