Unite The Union - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unite make threats every other week to cease affiliation with Labour/Scottish Labour, but in July there will be a vote.

A hypothetical question for the SNP majority among us:

Would you support restructuring of your party and hand a third of executive power to the Unions?

If yes, why. If not, why not.

They said that a majority of members voted SNP, add in people who vote for other parties outwith Labour and I imagine ties will be cut.

What do we mean by a third of executive power? Depends on exactly what power and influence they had.

Personally I would rather that no union donated to any political party and just let their members donate if they so wish. I pay for 3 memberships to the SNP so that is my monthly donation. I made sure my union didn't donate to any party before joining.

The reasons the Labour party has such an association with trade unions is because it grew out of the trade union movement

The reasons the Labour party has been in dispute with the Unions for so long is because they have veered away from their working class roots - i cant remember the last time the Labour party supported a strike

The only way the SNP could restructure their party in the way you suggest would be if the trade unions were all pro Independence but as most of the big ones represent workers in the whole of the UK then i guess it's kinda moot

No problem with affiliation though

Unite make threats every other week to cease affiliation with Labour/Scottish Labour, but in July there will be a vote.

Would you support restructuring of your party and hand a third of executive power to the Unions?

No. One member one vote. keep it simple. If folk want to join the union they can join the union. If they want to join the SNP they can join the SNP. Two different things IMO.

You seem to be a bit rudderless in terms of your role on this board now and your political beliefs.........bless........

I would say that Trade Unions have their place in society for support of their members, unfortunately the trade union movement is complicit in the way the Labour party has operated since the 90's when Blair took over.

I think they need to re-organise themselves and re-assert their priority towards their members and should not affiliate to any political parties, we live in a multi party system and the best way for them to represent their members is through negotiations with parties that they can find agreement with on a case by case basis.

I can't stand Unions. Total waste of money now. More than enough ambulance chasing lawyers to keep you safe and in my experience every union I've had dealings with have been utterly toothless and in effectual.

So in answer to the OPs original question, no. They can GTF.