Russia On Referendum - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russia On Referendum

Guest flumax

THE SNP landslide at the General Election is evidence that the 2014 independence referendum was rigged, according to Russia's top elections official.

Vladimir Churov, who heads the Central Electoral Commission, told the official Tass news agency that last September's poll - at which there were Russian monitors - should now be investigated.

Commenting on the Nationalists' emphatic victory in Scotland, the official said: "It confirms our position; that the outcome of the independence referendum in Scotland was a total falsification."

Mr Churov noted how the election results showed "the SNP, which fought for a Yes in the referendum, won far more votes now than it did then".

He went on: "We doubted that the referendum had been organised cleanly and we had observers there".

He added that he felt the scale of the SNP's success in Scotland last week "gives further cause to examine the referendum".

Mr Churov said there had been no major changes or upheavals in the time between last September and last week's election, saying: "I see no reason for such a shift in opinion".

He added: "In the election the voters were the people who actually live in Scotland and are British citizens. But in the referendum all the EU citizens were able to vote, including several dozen thousand Poles working in Scotland."

THE SNP landslide at the General Election is evidence that the 2014 independence referendum was rigged, according to Russia's top elections official.

Can only offer anecdotal evidence but quite a number of the folk I know who voted SNP last week voted No in the referendum...

Can only offer anecdotal evidence but quite a number of the folk I know who voted SNP last week voted No in the referendum...

That was the impression I was given, my Dad said he would vote for Wee Nicky, his first ever SNP vote, but cast iron NO, if there was any mention of referendum.

3.6 miilion turned out for the Referendum (85%) - so 4.3 million elegible

2.0 million No 55%

1.6 million Yes 45%

2.9 million turned out for Election (71%) - so 4.1 million elegible

1.45 million voted SNP 50%,

1.45 million didn't. 50%

700k didn't or couldn't vote. 200k missing based on elegibility (Under 18's?)

500k obvioulsy didn't feel as strongly about the election as they did for IndieRef.

Can anyone read more into these bag of fag packet figures ?

There would be a few % that voted others ( green etc ) that would have voted yes. I think a lot of women also voted snp that voted no because they liked nicola.

Edited by 1ANDYP

It's silly to use a General election to guage independence support. My Mrs voted Yes and would again, but she'd never vote SNP.

She won't admit as much but I think a large part of my wife voting No was because of Salmond. And on the flip side of that Sturgeon has been a big factor in her switching to SNP at the GE.

Guest BlueGaz

She won't admit as much but I think a large part of my wife voting No was because of Salmond.

I believe this was a major issue, which of course has now been rectified.

Always said the Referendum was rigged.

Sadly some folk on here (and the media that bothered to mention the story) are poking fun at the Russian observers rather than taking note of their claims.....

It wasn't rigged.