Midges - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I heard they'd changed the recipe of skin so soft and it doesn't work any more. Some folk say it didn`t work anyway but it definitely did for me.

Smidge also works but i`m not so keen on it. A can of deodorant and a lighter also does the trick :ok:

I heard they'd changed the recipe of skin so soft and it doesn't work any more. Some folk say it didn`t work anyway but it definitely did for me.

Smidge also works but i`m not so keen on it. A can of deodorant and a lighter also does the trick :ok:

You can now buy skin so soft with added insect repellant. Make sure you buy the right stuff.

The claim that the original skin so soft was good for midgees was just an urban myth. It has been tested and there is no evidence that it has any effect on insects.

Smidge

That one contains Picaridin as the insect repellent. Most effective commercial repellents contain either Picaridin or DEET. If you find Smidge works for you, so will other formulations using Picaridin. You might find other stuff a lot cheaper, although I'm sure that is of little consequence to a man of your means. Just look for the % of active ingredient on the bottle. Picaridin is also known as "Saltidin" or "Bayrepel" amongst other things just to confuse you.

Shoo! was great, but I believe its dimethyl phthalate has been banned as an insecticide.

DMP is still used as an insect repellent but not nearly as much as it use to be. It can irritate the skin. As far as I am aware it hasn't been banned. It's just that manufacturers think they have better alternatives.

The claim that the original skin so soft was good for midgees was just an urban myth. It has been tested and there is no evidence that it has any effect on insects.

It didn't have an effect on the midges but it stopped the bite going into your skin. I've used it loads of times and had no bites at all, when other folk with me didn't use it and got covered in bites.

It didn't have an effect on the midges but it stopped the bite going into your skin. I've used it loads of times and had no bites at all, when other folk with me didn't use it and got covered in bites.

If you think it works then it probably does. Lots of these things are psychosomatic anyway. I think you can still get the old stuff without the active ingredient in it?

OR

You could just try manning up and getting on with it?

It was a barrier, but it also had citronella, which is an ingredient of cheap repellent.

I am interested in the stuff made from bog myrtle, though I would like to hear field reports first.

believe it or not the base ingredient for all midge reppellents is mint ... in the summer time I use "original source black mint shower gel" midges do not come near you if you cant get a hold of their black mint they do several other mint shower gels which work as good ... my brother in law is Cornish and he now swears by it after I gave him the tip

You could just try manning up and getting on with it? ?

That's alright on a day out. Different if you're spending a couple nights out wild camping. Little fekers can make your life hell.

Psychosomatic or not, skin so soft works for me.

That's alright on a day out. Different if you're spending a couple nights out wild camping. Little fekers can make your life hell.

Psychosomatic or not, skin so soft works for me.

Now that you actually know that there is no active ingredient in it, it probably wont work anymore. :lol: Sorry aboot that. You should try to wipe this thread from your memory banks.

Now that you actually know that there is no active ingredient in it, it probably wont work anymore. :lol: Sorry aboot that. You should try to wipe this thread from your memory banks.

I`m happy to keep it in my memory, i know it works :wink2: