Aberdeen - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen have impressed me this season. What are the plans for the next campaign? Are there funds to invest?

We're bringing in the best left-back in the league (Shinnie), which will solve the problem at one of our weakest positions.

I suspect we'll lose Ryan Jack, which will leave a big hole in the middle of the park. I'd like to see McLean drop back and try and fill that position. As he's been ineffective further forward and more of a hindrance than an attacking threat.

Hopefully next season Shankland can get more games and contribute to the scoring, taking the load off of Rooney a bit.

McInnes has got close to the maximum from the players this season. Repeating that next season will be very difficult.

Aberdeen have impressed me this season. What are the plans for the next campaign? Are there funds to invest?

Why do I feel like I’m walking into a trap? (Who cares, I will use any excuse to talk about the Dons)

Shinnie, an excellent signing, will be one to bolster the squad. Early this season I would have been telling you that we are exposed at left back. However Andy Considine has turned that position into his own and been excellent more often than not. Will be intersting to see what happens.

Strong rumours are that Jack wants to stay subject to getting a decent new deal. Remains to be seen if we can do enough on the deal front but at least there's a good basis for negotiation. If Jack stays, we have a number of lads that can play with him in the middle holding two (Shinnie, McLean, Hayes and Flood). I suspect Robson will play his final season somewhere else.....

I can "exclusively reveal" that we are looking for a keeper!! McInnes was at a game last week looking at one......

Depending on what McInnes wants to do with Hayes, McLean and Shinnie, we may look for another winger/creative midfielder.

Low gone. Anderson, Robson, Shaughnessy, Robertson, Murray and either Brown or Langfield are potential departures (guessing it will be Brown given that it's Langfield's testimonial year). McManus, Shankland and Smith will hopefully have all come on that bit more (but at any rate look good now) and feature more prominently.

Team for next season:

Neuer (or similar)

Logan, Taylor, Reynolds, Shinnie

Jack, McLean

McGinn, Messi (or similar), Hayes

Rooney

Subs from: Flood, Goodwillie, Shankland, McManus, Considine, Pawlett, Smith, Langfield, Wilson (yup, Danny)

I don't agree that we need another player who plays in behind Rooney. We need to get Pawlett and Smith in there and let them do their thing. They're both good enough to contribute massively. Unless we're going to upgrade significantly, i don't see the point in adding in that position.

Also, i think McInnes will use Considine as a back-up for CB & LB, possibly with the addition of a young loan CB/RB (if Murray goes) from down south (unless the young ex-dortmund guy we signed is progressing and considered ready to contribute).

I don't agree that we need another player who plays in behind Rooney. We need to get Pawlett and Smith in there and let them do their thing. They're both good enough to contribute massively. Unless we're going to upgrade significantly, i don't see the point in adding in that position.

Also, i think McInnes will use Considine as a back-up for CB & LB, possibly with the addition of a young loan CB/RB (if Murray goes) from down south (unless the young ex-dortmund guy we signed is progressing and considered ready to contribute).

We've tried Pawlett, McLean, Smith, Shankland and Goodwillie in the number 10 position. Unfortunately, none have really worked this season (Goodwillie's pre-contract 4/5 game stretch aside!). Personally, I'd try McGinn in there and Pawlett wide. As regards Smith. I really like him - he needs to get that half yard turn of pace from somewhere and think he could really do something. He's got the rest. Him, McGinn and Jack are probably the 3 best ball players at the club, in my opinion.

You could well be right about Considine and the loan. Would make sense.

We've tried Pawlett, McLean, Smith, Shankland and Goodwillie in the number 10 position. Unfortunately, none have really worked this season (Goodwillie's pre-contract 4/5 game stretch aside!). Personally, I'd try McGinn in there and Pawlett wide. As regards Smith. I really like him - he needs to get that half yard turn of pace from somewhere and think he could really do something. He's got the rest. Him, McGinn and Jack are probably the 3 best ball players at the club, in my opinion.

You could well be right about Considine and the loan. Would make sense.

I think we've discussed our disagreements on Pawlett enough without m e starting it again :lol:

I think we've discussed our disagreements on Pawlett enough without m e starting it again :lol:

We have. Just to be clear, I'm not anti-Pawlett. Also, I'm not anti-Pawlet through the middle - it just hasn't been effective this season. It may be that Pawlett is knackered or carrying injury. If, next season, he get's back to where he was fitness and desire wise, the obvious place to try him again is through the middle (number 10). We need a contingency though, as we've not had that this season and I've been shouting to have McGinn play in there for a while - he's a brilliant football player.

I've heard Shinnie will be playing further up the park.

Don't know how reliable the source is as I've only met him once,but apparently he has been right on a few things regarding afc.

Unless the source is Derek Mcinnes then I don't see how anyone could say that with any certainty

I've heard Shinnie will be playing further up the park.

Don't know how reliable the source is as I've only met him once,but apparently he has been right on a few things regarding afc.

I've heard he'll actually be playing for Celtic next season, which is far from ideal.

Whoever his source was. That would have been pretty clear if you had taken a few seconds to read it properly rather than jumping in right away trying to be a smart arse

I did read it. Did you?

Where does it say he said anything 'with certainty'?

I did read it. Did you?

Where does it say he said anything 'with certainty'?

It doesn't but I never said he claimed to be certain about it either, did I?

I simply said that nobody, except Derek Mcinnes, could know that for sure. Hope that clears it up for you and you can go and pick a daft argument with someone else you weirdo.

Hope that clears it up for you and you can go and pick a daft argument with someone else you weirdo.

If you think that was 'an argument', you must struggle to get through the day without falling out with everyone, petal

• 2 weeks later...