Polls - Page 34 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people really want to take a sadomasochistic view of this election and are hoping for a Tory majority to push us over the line, there's a better option: a Labour majority! I honestly think Ed Miliband and Ed Balls would crash and burn in a very serious way. Miliband isn't even close to being leader material and the right wing press will absolutely savage the Labour Party over the next five years. There's a good chance a failed Labour government would debilitate the party for years. The best thing the Tories can do for the Labour Party is to beat them and let them pick a half-decent leadership team - power will expose them. And the only thing that's been keeping Scotland in the Union is the notion that we'll periodically get a competent Labour government to make everything alright. Take that away, and the Union will collapse like a deck of cards.

While I don't think we should be wishing the Tories on anyone (and why I support a Labour led government on principle), I don't think it really matters what happens in this election - regardless of who wins, we're about to see just how marginal Scotland is within the Union.

The case for the independence went through a pretty hostile, but largely reasonable, stress test during the referendum while the Union got to sit there untouched. Those tables have turned and this election and the years that follow are quite rightly going to ask some pretty serious questions of the Union - and I think a large number of Unionists are going to be disappointed in the results.

The problem with that is that the only realistic way Labour could get into government would be in coalition with the SNP. The SNP would therefore be tarnished by everything that Labour do in government, just as the Lib Dems have suffered as a result of their coalition

Genuinely interested in why you think that that this scenario would convince enough No voters to vote Yes so that the next referendum would be won.

If No voters care about EU membership and the UK voted to exit, while Scotland overwhelmingly voted to remain a member state, then the only way they could get to remain in the EU would be by voting for independence via a referendum.

But as I said in my original post, I'm probably getting carried away with myself again.

I still think the Tories will get enough seats to stay in power, (possibly with help from Libs and DUP).

But here is another possible scenario. Cameron gets most seats but not quite enough. He tries to form a government but gets voted down by Lab and SNP+others. Milliband sticks to his word (I know I'm stretching the imagination here a bit) and refuses to do any deal with SNP, effectively turning down the chance to be PM. What happens next? As the next biggest party SNP get a chance to try to form an emergency government. Angus Robertson for Prime Minister. :ok::lol:

I still think the Tories will get enough seats to stay in power, (possibly with help from Libs and DUP).

But here is another possible scenario. Cameron gets most seats but not quite enough. He tries to form a government but gets voted down by Lab and SNP+others. Milliband sticks to his word (I know I'm stretching the imagination here a bit) and refuses to do any deal with SNP, effectively turning down the chance to be PM. What happens next? As the next biggest party SNP get a chance to try to form an emergency government. Angus Robertson for Prime Minister. :ok::lol:

Election time, and we do it all again.

J

Sot on, its the biggest threat that the snp face

The problem with that is that the only realistic way Labour could get into government would be in coalition with the SNP. The SNP would therefore be tarnished by everything that Labour do in government, just as the Lib Dems have suffered as a result of their coalition

I think this election is brilliant.

For once the papers don't run the country (Scotland) nobody believes them any more.

The politicians can't handle a populace that are actually awake and paying attention. It's beyond them.

I think everyone should have a referendum.

Brilliant

Looks like the final throw of the dice from Labour is "Vote Labour because of what we used to represent"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/01/ed-miliband-summons-up-ghosts-of-labours-past-in-bid-to-avoid-rout-by-snp

Ed Miliband is to call on Scottish voters to remember the titans of the Labour movement, from Gordon Brown to Keir Hardie, after firmly ruling out any deal with the Scottish National party in the last of the TV election events before polling day.

In a final effort to prevent a Scottish National party landslide, the Labour leader will urge the partys traditional voters to remember their heritage and family loyalty.

Looks like the final throw of the dice from Labour is "Vote Labour because of what we used to represent"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/01/ed-miliband-summons-up-ghosts-of-labours-past-in-bid-to-avoid-rout-by-snp

Ed Miliband is to call on Scottish voters to remember the titans of the Labour movement, from Gordon Brown to Keir Hardie, after firmly ruling out any deal with the Scottish National party in the last of the TV election events before polling day.

In a final effort to prevent a Scottish National party landslide, the Labour leader will urge the partys traditional voters to remember their heritage and family loyalty.

To paraphrase LBJ, "You sir (Miliband) are no Keir Hardie" !

"LOOK!!! LOOK HOW SHIT WE ARE NOW!"

Who on earth is advising him? :lol:

A combination of Gordon and Jim Murphy by the looks of things:

Jim: "Tell them they're cünts!"

Gordon "Tell them WE'RE cünts!"

Fantastic!! :lol:

Points scored for remembering Michael Dukakis, never mind his running mate!

As Wb pointed out, I'd be nowt without Wiki. I knew it wasn't LBJ & was aimed at Quayle and duckduckgo did the rest (other less ethical search engines are available) ...