Ireland V Poland -- What Do We Want? - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ireland V Poland -- What Do We Want?

JagDude

Evening Folks

Congrats on yere win against Gibraltar .....job done there

Just back from our Game......obviously very relieved and happy with getting a point considering we faced defeat with only a few minutes left

First 30 mins we were poor and way too defensive....Poland deserved their lead just about at half time

Second half ....i though we were much the better side...much more attacking and made a bigger effort to put the ball down and play and go for it....draw was at least we deserved.

A good point for poland all the same..........so well done to them

However...tonight and our second half performance showed that Poland can be got at.....if you go at them with a positive attitude

Tonights result sets the Scotland game up big time..... a game Ireland MUST win.

I saw nothing from Poland tonight that makes me think Scotland cant beat them provided Scotland play to their strengths

Fantastic atmosphere at tonights game ...it was electric ............looking forward to having ye guys over

From what I've seen of Poland, I think they are a very decent team but I think they are very weak in central defence. Did you get that impression from tonight's game?

Well done on securing a point with yet another lucky, sorry, I mean late goal. :wink2: I will not feel comfortable against you lot unless we are 3-0 up with 2 minutes to play. :lol:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening Folks

Congrats on yere win against Gibraltar .....job done there

Just back from our Game......obviously very relieved and happy with getting a point considering we faced defeat with only a few minutes left

First 30 mins we were poor and way too defensive....Poland deserved their lead just about at half time

Second half ....i though we were much the better side...much more attacking and made a bigger effort to put the ball down and play and go for it....draw was at least we deserved.

A good point for poland all the same..........so well done to them

However...tonight and our second half performance showed that Poland can be got at.....if you go at them with a positive attitude

Tonights result sets the Scotland game up big time..... a game Ireland MUST win.

I saw nothing from Poland tonight that makes me think Scotland cant beat them provided Scotland play to their strengths

Fantastic atmosphere at tonights game ...it was electric ............looking forward to having ye guys over

Fair result as you say with Poland better at the start and Ireland better later on.

All very, very tight between us all (assuming Germany top the group).

Ireland are crap.

Ah ok....if you say so.....good man! Great indepth analysis by you

From what I've seen of Poland, I think they are a very decent team but I think they are very weak in central defence. Did you get that impression from tonight's game?

Well done on securing a point with yet another lucky, sorry, I mean late goal. :wink2: I will not feel comfortable against you lot unless we are 3-0 up with 2 minutes to play. :lol:

They are weak in defense mate.....but i thought if you have belief and go at them ...like we did in the second half...they were vulnerable in centre midfield

Hahaha .... i know we have scored late goals .....tonight we didnt deserve to lose that game.....that goal was deserved....maybe its my green tinted glasses but i thought we could have won it with our second half performance.

Was probably the best 45 mins ive seen from Ireland in a long time ....but we need to build on it....cant start against ye guys like we did against poland that, cos if we do , ye will punish us

Fair result as you say with Poland better at the start and Ireland better later on.

All very, very tight between us all (assuming Germany top the group).

Tbh mate ... i thought we dominated the second half....but scotland should view that as a positive......Poland are good but they can be beaten , if ye are willing to go for it

Well done on securing a point with yet another lucky, sorry, I mean late goal. :wink2: I will not feel comfo rtable against you lot unless we are 3-0 up with 2 minutes to play. :lol:

To paraphrase Danny Blanchflower, we just need to work out how to get the late lucky, equaliser before the other lot have scored :)

Scotland, Poland and Ireland are three fairly average teams with bits of quality here and there.

There won't be much between them in most of the games.

Whichever one or two of them qualify, won't trouble the real quality teams at the business end of the tournament.

Ah ok....if you say so.....good man! Great indepth analysis by you

They are weak in defense mate.....but i thought if you have belief and go at them ...like we did in the second half...they were vulnerable in centre midfield

Hahaha .... i know we have scored late goals .....tonight we didnt deserve to lose that game.....that goal was deserved....maybe its my green tinted glasses but i thought we could have won it with our second half performance.

Was probably the best 45 mins ive seen from Ireland in a long time ....but we need to build on it....cant start against ye guys like we did against poland that, cos if we do , ye will punish us

Tbh mate ... i thought we dominated the second half....but scotland should view that as a positive......Poland are good but they can be beaten , if ye are willing to go for it

One advantage we have is that by the time we play Poland (2nd last game) we will know exactly what we need to do against them. If we have managed to draw level on points with them before that game then a 0-0 or a 1-1 draw will be enough for us to beat them on the head to head. I really hate it when Scotland set out to play for a draw though. 3 games to play before that though. Need to get them sorted first.

Some very interesting feedback as always Green_Tide_Rising. :ok:

Just ignore those that are writing Ireland off on here, most of us know that the reality is very different and there is everything to play for ! Ireland are still very much in it still.

I haven't seen any footage of your game yet but I've read that James McLean really changed the game when he came on. Did anyone particularly impress for Ireland ?

I haven't seen any footage of your game yet but I've read that James McLean really changed the game when he came on. Did anyone particularly impress for Ireland ?

I watched it all and yes, McLean looked good. Totally changed the game. Very direct player and had two good feet on him.

Just ignore those that are writing Ireland off on here, most of us know that the reality is very different and there is everything to play for ! Ireland are still very much in it still.

Wes Hoolahan. His presence alone changes the whole dynamic of how Ireland plays.

No Hoolahan = Long ball tactics

Will be a very different Irish performance in June to that of Glasgow.

My prediction for team to face you guys.

Given

Coleman----O'Shea----Wilson----Ward

Hoolahan----McCarthy----Whelan----McClean

Walters----Long

We won't actually play 442 necessarily. I think Keane will be dropped. His influence in general play is non existent.

Hoolahan will be playing in front of McCarthy and Whelan, with Walters dropping to the right wing. McClean will be out and out winger. The two sitting midfielders will give Hoolahan freedom to in theory create more and bring full backs into the game.

If I had the choice I wouldn't have Whelan there but managers love him.

Edited by Banjaxed

McCarthy won't play.

I'll be honest, I can take or leave him. And I think a lot of Irish fans are starting to have that attitude. We're yet to see the McCarthy that plays for Everton. He has been underwhelming for the last 2 years.

McGeady won't play against you guys, I'd say. Hasn't played for Everton since January and last night showed. Another player who never reached his potential. Anyway, after McClean's performance when he came on, I think he's a certain starter in place of McGeady.

Walters definitely a MoN player if ever there was one. Think he's handy enough though and could cause us problems physically. Think there's a good chance both teams will be missong key players with it being end of season as injuries may mount up.

Edited by JECK

Wes Hoolahan. His presence alone changes the whole dynamic of how Ireland plays.

No Hoolahan = Long ball tactics

Hoolahan started the game last night, yet the first half was pure hoofball? ^?^

Hoolahan started the game last night, yet the first half was pure hoofball? ^?^

Hoolahan started up front. He was moved to midfield 30 mins in which coincided with tide turning Ireland's way for the remainder of the game. Not the Hoolahan is some sort of Zidane by any stretch of the imagination. But his presence dictates Ireland's tempo and he forces Ireland to play a certain way. i.e. not hoof ball

Hoolahan started up front. He was moved to midfield 30 mins in which coincided with tide turning Ireland's way for the remainder of the game. Not the Hoolahan is some sort of Zidane by any stretch of the imagination. But his presence dictates Ireland's tempo and he forces Ireland to play a certain way. i.e. not hoof ball

Incidentally, you won't be surprised to discover that Hoolahan....

did not play against Georgia, where we were dreadful

did not play against Scotland, where we were dreadful

did not start against Germany, where we were bad, but came on with 15 mins to go and changed the game for us

he did play against Gibraltar, where he ran the game (no achievement there but still)

he started last night, and changed the game when in his proper position 30 mins in.

O'Neill like Trap has been reluctant to use Hoolahan. But what Wes stands for...ball on the deck, etc, etc...could be what changes things for us in this group.

hoolahan will be 33 in june and has played for shelbourn, livi, blackpool and norwich if he is a key man for ireland and is someone to greatly worry us we might as well forget going to face the likes of pogba and iniesta next summer.

the ball will be getting shelled into the box in june with ireland looking for the second ball

PUNT ;-)