Gibraltar Starting 11 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gibraltar Starting 11

Bino's

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone wanting to play with a lone striker, surely this is the type of game we should be playing 2 up top maybe a 3-5-2

Because it is even more practice in the system we will use. We could play any formation and win. We might as well get some value out of this game and get the players used to their roles

Think it will be...

Marshall

Hutton, Martin, Greer, Robertson

Brown, Morrison

Maloney, Naismith, Anya

S Fletcher

Would rather play Berra than Greer but Strachan will likely go with Greer as he's filled in every other time Hanley or Martin have been unavailable and would prefer Rhodes to Fletcher given recent form but think Fletcher will get the nod.

Why is everyone wanting to play with a lone striker, surely this is the type of game we should be playing 2 up top maybe a 3-5-2

How would a 3-5-2 be more attacking when it would leave 3 players sitting at the back marking no-one for the 80% of the match we'll be on the front foot?

The system we play is not a defensive one by any means.

Not really a fair comparison when Rhodes never started the game.

Perhaps but Rhodes did get a decent chunk of the action. Facts of the game was we looked more potent with Fletcher up top than when Rhodes came on. Now I am not having a go at Rhodes as the match had become disjointed by then but people championing last night as evidence to drop Fletcher for Rhodes is a bad one as Fletcher made and had chances whilst Rhodes was pretty quiet.

Yup Rhodes was in the goals last night and got closer to scoring than Fletcher. :um-no:

Fletcher did start the game on good form last night (recall 2 or 3 really good chances) but as game went on his head started to fall (think its clear to see that he wants that monkey off his back over not scoring for Scotland since his return)..... last night I think Rhodes was on far to late to get himself warmed up (though there was a cracking link up between him and Naismith in the closing stages)

If Fletcher can get a goal on Sunday within the first 5-10 minutes, think he will go from strength to strength after that.

Perhaps but Rhodes did get a decent chunk of the action. Facts of the game was we looked more potent with Fletcher up top than when Rhodes came on. Now I am not having a go at Rhodes as the match had become disjointed by then but people championing last night as evidence to drop Fletcher for Rhodes is a bad one as Fletcher made and had chances whilst Rhodes was pretty quiet.

I think most people agree that Rhodes is the best finisher that we have so would be a huge asset in a game where we will have virtually all the possession and (presumably) will create lots of chances.

For me its:

Gordon

Hutton - Martin - Berra - Robertson

Brown

Ritchie - Maloney - Russell

Rhodes - Naismith

They're not going to come attack us, so we need to go get goals. So taking the players who can beat people, deliver into the box and get on the end of things.

Edited by andyD

Fletcher is a very frustrating kind of player but is certainly more talented than Rhodes.I can perfectly understand though that his goal drought works against him.

Not at scoring goals he's not.

Well we cannot say can we as one is playing at a lower level to the other. But on the overall front it cannot be denied Fletcher's link-up play far outweighs Rhodes. That link-up play sets up goals so is almost as good as goals themselves.

We'll just have to disagree on this one. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the country, but I agree that our options are incredibly limited up front and we'll just have to make do with him just now.

As long as we keep winning though, I don't care who plays.

Think it will be...

Marshall

Hutton, Martin, Greer, Robertson

Brown, Morrison

Maloney, Naismith, Anya

S Fletcher

Would rather play Berra than Greer but Strachan will likely go with Greer as he's filled in every other time.

I'll agree with you on both The team selection and I'd rather see Berra though central defenders shouldn't have much to do.

Marshall will start for me purely because Gordon and McGregor got half each yesterday.

Ever thought of it as a 2-4-4?

Maloney, Anya, Naismith and Fletcher up front with Robertson and Hutton pushing forward in to midfield leaving 2 at the back. I'm sure that's how it will end up.

We'll just have to disagree on this one. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the country, but I agree that our options are incredibly limited up front and we'll just have to make do with him just now.

As long as we keep winning though, I don't care who plays.

Exactly.

Have we been losing games we should have won with Fletcher in there? I'd say not. And like you say we are woefully short of potent strikers - most definitely. As long as the results keep coming I don't give two hoots who is getting the goals.