The Game's Up - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Flora,

You are a braver man than me for seeking help now.. I knew for several years that I had a serious alcohol problem. But, it was only after I attempted suicde last year that I finally sought help. I have been sober for neraly seven months now.

There IS a way back, and there are alternatives to AA.

PM me if you want to talk about anything.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't believe there is any such thing as an alcoholic or a disease called alcoholism just as there is no disease called cocaineism or herionism of nicotineism...

Despite this being an entirely inappropriate thread for you to air your 'opinions'...I actually agree with you.
While alcohol and heroin are obviously physically addictive drugs, there is absolutely no scientific evidence to support the 'disease' theory.
I was formerly physically addicted to alcohol, but I do not consider myself to be a 'recovering' alcoholic. I do not not wish to be in a permanent state of 'recovery', dependent on AA for the rest of my life
I currently attend a support group - SMART Recovery - where the words 'alcoholic'and 'addict' are actually banned. In contrast to AA, SMART Recovery actively encourages members to leave the group, once they have gained the skills and confidence to stay clean. Members are in no way pressured to leave the group at any point - indeed, some do attend meetings for several years - but the program's aim is to empower attendees with coping strategies and techniques (strongly based on CBT), so that they no longer need to rely on support groups and/or professional help.

HOWEVER...

This will not work for everyone. For some people, AA is by far the best route to take. Choose whichever strategy or program you are best suited to, and do not judge or criticise others who decide to take a different path. Good luck.

The Sally Army will help if you've got religion. A lot of them are former alcoholics and addicts (including family of mine). They can help with underlying reasons too.

Some folk get by by planning ahead to make sure they have some thing and some people to keep them occupied at vulnerable times. And by taking things one day at a time.

Good luck mate.

I would encourage you to try AA again - it really worked for a family member of mine. I imagine there are several groups in the Glasgow area.

And it will be tough, but they have a good success rate. Taking it one day at a time is achievable - small goals mount up.

All the best. :ok:

I would encourage you to try AA again - it really worked for a family member of mine. I imagine there are several groups in the Glasgow area.

And it will be tough, but they have a good success rate. Taking it one day at a time is achievable - small goals mount up.

All the best. :ok:

AA is only one of many options. Despite what many people - especially it's more 'evangelical' members - might say, it is NOT the only program to try. Also...

By their own admission/figures, AA's 'success rate' is appalling.Only 1 person in TWENTY who attends their first meeting will still be sober a year later.

Now...I fully realise that many - maybe even most - problem drinkers very rarely manage to achieve sobriety on their first attempt. Many - myself included - need 3 or 4 attempts, and have to hit absolute rock bottom before they finally get anywhere. However...

To say AA has 'a good success rate' is simply statistically incorrect.

But, all that said...

it does work for some people. Although I truly loathed AA, I wouldn't attempt to discourage anyone else from giving it a go. We're all different...

To have the bottle(excuse the pun) to come on here and admit you have a problem is the first step, At least you know you have a problem which is positive.

Go to AA they are brilliant as had some experience years ago as my ex wife was in the same boat

The did wonderful things and helped her turn her life around

Good Luck mate

AA say that 'alcoholism' is a disease. That is not the same as an addiction. They say it is a real disease. Like cancer or heart disease. Then they tell you it is an incurable disease. Both of these assertions are totally untrue. That is why I would not recommend AA but if it has worked with you I am not dissing it.

Edited by thplinth

Flora are you able to get hold of some acid. If so maybe go rent a wee getaway cottage in a beautiful spot for a week and go drop some tabs. Or if you have a few grand fly to mexico and try an ibogaine treatment. Anything has to better than AA... :wink2: (edit oops sorry I may have dissed AA.)

Edited by thplinth

AA say that 'alcoholism' is a disease. That is not the same as an addiction. They say it is a real disease. Like cancer or heart disease. Then they tell you it is an incurable disease. Both of these assertions are totally untrue. That is why I would not recommend AA but if it has worked with you I am not dissing it.

Flora are you able to get hold of some acid. If so maybe go rent a wee getaway cottage in a beautiful spot for a week and go drop some tabs. Or if you have a few grand fly to mexico and try an ibogaine treatment. Anything has to better than AA... :wink2: (edit oops sorry I may have dissed AA.)

I'm struggling to see how this addresses the guy's cry for help.

LSD and Ibogaine are known cures. Sometimes a 'perceptions shock' like this is much more effective than years of excruciating will power methods.

AA do not have a monopoly on cures for drinking too much. Do not label yourself an 'alcoholic' with an 'incurable disease'. That almost seals your fate (IMO).

Ibogaine is being used more and more in the treatment of addiction, not sure i'd trust LSD.

"Several clinical trials have shown that low doses of ibogaine taken over the course of a few weeks can greatly reduce cravings for heroin and other drugs. There was extensive research on it in the 1990s, with good evidence of safety in animals and a handful of studies in humans."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17666589

"At the clinic, I and 29 other heroin addicts get our dose of ibogaine. The treatment costs between $2000 and $6500 depending on which clinic you go to. As it starts to take effect I feel an intense wave of energy emanating from the centre of my chest that permeates my entire body. This euphoric state also brings me instantaneous relief from the discomfort I was feeling after going without heroin for almost 24 hours.

With my withdrawal symptoms completely gone, I am perplexed by the state of clarity I am in while seeing the most profound stream of visual phenomena. I am also filled with a sense of awe at the potential for a life free of heroin. Emotional memories force me to deal with some of the deep subconscious guilt I have repressed for years.

This powerful state persisted for over 12 hours. After remaining at the clinic for a week I was allowed to return home and over the next six months felt almost no cravings whatsoever.

"Of the 29 others who took part in the trial, none are now reported as having problematic drug use. Two years after that one dose of ibogaine, I abstain from all drugs. Given the chance of relief from the physical and psychological dependence, I am free to make conscious choices again. We don't yet know how effective this treatment would be in others, but the change in my life is startling."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21929313.900-mindaltering-drug-could-offer-life-free-of-heroin.html?full=true#.VQM7LuGyqQk

Edited by phart

I'm struggling to see how this addresses the guy's cry for help.

Sorry I do not mean to be flippant.

No not sure I'd trust LSD either phart, that could go wrong. It does have the power to somehow 'shake' people out of a habitually negative mindset into a mental re-set mode. But for some it can go 'bad trip'. The point was it has that power to take an addict and overnight make them not. This suggests to me that AA are missing the point. It is not a disease, it is a mental trap which can be broken like a spell.

Be strong Flora - you will prevail, no way am I an alcoholic (only drink weekends) but if I have a major session I need a drink first thing next morning (not good, but it's under MY control)

Keep busy, go a jog, walk into town, keep your mind working, be sensible & take care !!!!

Flora, no idea if we have met in real life or not. Disnae matter.

I'd suggest you are much braver than loads of of posters on here, many of whom will harbour various demons. I (who knows nothing/) suggest you try the various professional helps available.

But also , think about climbing hills or similar. Cannae beat a daily challenge. Just aim to get better every day. You have many friends.

Edited by mariokempes56

Jesus, would never have thought you were in this situation as you always seem like a happy chappie and up for a laugh and carry on, on here. I don't really know whether alcoholism gets you down the way maybe depression does?

Anyway best of luck as you do seem like one of the good guys on here :ok: .

Jesus, would never have thought you were in this situation as you always seem like a happy chappie and up for a laugh and carry on, on here. I don't really know whether alcoholism gets you down the way maybe depression does?

Anyway best of luck as you do seem like one of the good guys on here :ok: .

GRB, the happy chappie is the easy bit.

Flora, no idea if we have met in real life or not. Disnae matter.

I'd suggest you are much braver than loads of of posters on here, many of whom will harbour various demons. I (who knows nothing/) suggest you try the various professional helps available.

But also , think about climbing hills or similar. Cannae beat a daily challenge. Just aim to get better every day. You have many friends.

A good boy

Very brave flora. Keep in with the golf and use the course for a walk if you don't have the clubs for s while. Its amazing what a long walk in an open space can do....even if you're just hunting for stray balls. All the best.

This board shows its true colours again. I am mess, and my mum's sent me back to Aberdeen

Just mind. Yer one of the special people. We all are, even me bawbag. And ye know I'm greeting typng this... men eh

Edited by mariokempes56

Guest flumax

As a fellow habitual drinker. Best of luck.

It's only a problem if it upsets your loved ones.

Booze is never the answer, it however can be a useful crutch. Balance is important.