The Game's Up - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

As a previous poster has said, if you are heading to Islay, your just a stones throw away from Campbeltown and we have one of the best golf courses in the world at Machrihanish (I know you are a keen golfer).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been offline for few days but concur with the responses on here, it's often times hard to see big picture when feeling in a rut. Eventually though things change and you look back thinking how did I ever feel so low. Accepting depression is the first step to beating it.

Not sure I can offer much practical advice that hasn't already been said but everytime I feel a bit blue this song always cheers me up. I came to it via the Clancy Brothers, an Irish folk group popular in the 60s that some Tambers might know. Their version was a cover, the original was Stan Rogers, a Canadian icon.

Have a listen, the words are as relevant in 2015 as when written in 1970s. For some technical reason I'm not bright enough to get past how I can't paste the link but you'll find on YouTube -Stan Rogers performs "Mary Ellen Carter" in One Warm line documentary

Jesus...

Ironically enough, the first word of the first reply.

He is the answer to any problem for anyone that genuinely seeks Him.

My own story is that although I never became addicted, I took enough drugs and alcohol to be.

They were part of most things that I did, and I considered that normal (but wasn't really happy).

One Saturday night I decided that I would pack in my old ways and re-arrange my priorities.

I walked into a church the next day by myself without knowing anyone.

I've gone just about every weekend since and haven't touched drugs or alcohol in that time.

I'm actually repulsed by the thought of being drunk or high now.

April 15th with be my 9th anniversary of being clean and sober.

Jesus is real.

Ask Him to reveal Himself to you.

Ask for the Holy Spirit to come into your heart.

I am praying for you, Graeme.

God Bless.

My first genuine sign that I had a problem was on the Monday morning after a three-day festival, waking up and feeling like the world was going to end. I knew we had to pack up and go home, but even the thought of leaving the tent simply terrified me. Then....I found can of cider next to me, and without thinking, opened it up and took three decent swigs - about half the can.

Within TWENTY SECONDS I felt ready to take on the world. I could actually feel the warmth spreading through each part of my body, and remember thinking "this must be how a junkie feels." I went from being on the verge of tears to near euphoria in well under a minute. But, despite the elation...

A small voice in the back of head started saying: "This can't be good. If half a can of cider can do this to you...problem."

This was nearly a DECADE before I finally stopped.

A brave thread, but not a bad thing to get it out there.

You're a legend & always will be. Not many days go by when someone doesn't ask me how you're doing.

You'll get back on your feet again & we'll be there until you do.

Just a thought, but throw yourself back into the gym / getting fit. Will kill the boredom & you'll feel better (after the initial pain). If it was good enough for the Boss, got to be worth a try!

All the best & speak to you in a bit.

My first genuine sign that I had a problem was on the Monday morning after a three-day festival, waking up and feeling like the world was going to end. I knew we had to pack up and go home, but even the thought of leaving the tent simply terrified me. Then....I found can of cider next to me, and without thinking, opened it up and took three decent swigs - about half the can.

Within TWENTY SECONDS I felt ready to take on the world. I could actually feel the warmth spreading through each part of my body, and remember thinking "this must be how a junkie feels." I went from being on the verge of tears to near euphoria in well under a minute. But, despite the elation...

A small voice in the back of head started saying: "This can't be good. If half a can of cider can do this to you...problem."

This was nearly a DECADE before I finally stopped.

I think the problem with your story is that it's quite common in Scotland and l must admit I've done the same myself after a festival/heavy weekend.

many who do this WILL have a problem but I would wager that very very few will realise or even worry that this sort of thing is anything other than 'normal'. By the time the majority do take some action it's probably already caused serious problems in their personal life.

Well done to you on sacking it btw.

I don't know you Flora but enjoy most of your posts on here. I can't offer any advice as I'm totally inexperienced. Some of what has been said on this thread makes a lot of sense though. Can't help thinking no job is having more impact on you than you might realise.

The golf season is upon us. If you haven't got clubs yet let me know and I will happily sort you out with a spare set.

I sincerely wish you all the best, hopefully you've already made the first positive steps......

Ironically enough, the first word of the first reply.

He is the answer to any problem for anyone that genuinely seeks Him.

My own story is that although I never became addicted, I took enough drugs and alcohol to be.

They were part of most things that I did, and I considered that normal (but wasn't really happy).

One Saturday night I decided that I would pack in my old ways and re-arrange my priorities.

I walked into a church the next day by myself without knowing anyone.

I've gone just about every weekend since and haven't touched drugs or alcohol in that time.

I'm actually repulsed by the thought of being drunk or high now.

April 15th with be my 9th anniversary of being clean and sober.

Jesus is real.

Ask Him to reveal Himself to you.

Ask for the Holy Spirit to come into your heart.

I am praying for you, Graeme.

God Bless.

Despite being an atheist myself...that's a fantastic story, Scotty. Whatever works for you, each to their own.

Scott, thank you so much for that.

I am a Boys' Brigade man. I was Bible Knowledge champion for the district, but how how can can Lord God take his father away from a 2 year old? It's not even for myself I seek glory, but my poor mum.

It really would be great if society lived as we are asked to in the Bible by looking after the widow's and the orphans.

"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." James 1:27

I don't have a specific answer to your question, but I can tell you that God understands your loss and is with you every step of the way.

"He Who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things?" Romans 8:32

All things work together and we won't always understand the twists and turns or see the big picture, but God does, and my trust is in Him.

From 'Got Questions'? http://www.gotquestions.org/bad-things-good-people.html

Question: "Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?"

Answer: This is one of the most difficult questions in all of theology. God is eternal, infinite, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent. Why should human beings (not eternal, infinite, omniscient, omnipresent, or omnipotent) expect to be able to fully understand God’s ways? The book of Job deals with this issue. God had allowed Satan to do everything he wanted to Job except kill him. What was Job’s reaction? “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him” (Job 13:15). “The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised” (Job 1:21). Job did not understand why God had allowed the things He did, but he knew God was good and therefore continued to trust in Him. Ultimately, that should be our reaction as well.

Why do bad things happen to good people? The biblical answer is there are no “good” people. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that all of us are tainted by and infected with sin (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8). Romans 3:10-18could not be clearer about the non-existence of “good” people: “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit. The poison of vipers is on their lips. Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know. There is no fear of God before their eyes.” Every human being on this planet deserves to be thrown into hell at this very moment. Every second we spend alive is only by the grace and mercy of God. Even the most terrible misery we could experience on this planet is merciful compared to what we deserve, eternal hell in the lake of fire.

A better question would be “Why does God allow good things to happen to bad people?Romans 5:8declares, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Despite the evil, wicked, sinful nature of the people of this world, God still loves us. He loved us enough to die to take the penalty for our sins (Romans 6:23). If we receive Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16; Romans 10:9), we will be forgiven and promised an eternal home in heaven (Romans 8:1). What we deserve is hell. What we are given is eternal life in heaven if we come to Christ in faith.

Yes, sometimes bad things happen to people who seem undeserving of them. But God allows things to happen for His reasons, whether or not we understand them. Above all, however, we must remember that God is good, just, loving, and merciful. Often things happen to us that we simply cannot understand. However, instead of doubting God's goodness, our reaction should be to trust Him. ”Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The only other thing that I will mention is that my church has a 'recovery group' that gets together once a week.

They are all dealing with an addiction of some sort (but alcohol would be the most common).

Through these gatherings and having 'accountability partners' people are making great strides.

Maybe there's something like that in your area?

Flora,
You are a braver man than me for seeking help now.. I knew for several years that I had a serious alcohol problem. But, it was only after I attempted suicde last year that I finally sought help. I have been sober for neraly seven months now.
There IS a way back, and there are alternatives to AA.
PM me if you want to talk about anything.

Testimonies are so important.

Thank you for yours! :ok:

Flora,

Was working in Germany last week and this is the first time i have looked at the TAMB for about a week. Teecee was telling me about this thread when i bumped into him on Saturday night. I don't appear to have an up to date number for you. If you get in touch we can meet up and have a chat.