Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 273 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Otherwise known as "somebody paid our debt for us".

Interesting to see their average gate is 500 down on 2 years ago, despite continued SPL presence.

Is it .

2 years ago they had something to play for, now they're just making up numbers in the 'Premiership'.

I've been consistent about it for, well, forever. Rangers died in 2012 and the club calling themselves Rangers today are a new club. The Schroedinger episode was an example of Rangers fans believing they could be considered both dead and alive depending on what you were trying to believe at the time. ie Debt = dead. Trophies = alive. Fine = dead, monies owed to RFC = alive, etcetera, etcetera......

If to you rangers are dead, where does you obsession with a club formed in 2012, that have only played your team once, and you beat them, come from?

Correct. A business is different from a company. Not sure what point you're making. That supports my argument, not yours.

this is true. But Charlie Greens lawyer, Brown, had an interesting view of it. unsurprisingly none of the mainstream papers printed any of this :

Brown responded that this changed when Rangers incorporated in 1899. Brown continued: “Sevco Scotland did not buy the club they bought the business and assets of the club.There is a difference between the company and the business assets, but not between a club and a company. A club is an undertaking of it’s owners. As it has neither capacity of personality, no-one can be CEO of a club. The idea that someone can be CEO of an undertaking is just nonsense.”

Brown continued: “I realize that Rangers being the same club is a matter of life and death to some, but it wouldn’t be a proper legal case without the elephant in the room getting mentioned.The team are paid by Sevco, play at a ground owned by Sevco, trained by a manager who is employed by Sevco, fans buy tickets from Sevco. Rangers was a basket of assets that could be sold, but these were not indivisible.The players went one way and the ground another, where is the “club” then?”

Correct. A business is different from a company. Not sure what point you're making. That supports my argument, not yours.

We're not talking about a business though, we are talking specifically about a football club. One in particular that became a company by the process of incorporation, ie the club and company became the same entity in law. That entity is now in the process of being liquidated.

Is it ######.

2 years ago they had something to play for, now they're just making up numbers in the 'Premiership'.

What did they have to play for 2 years ago?

Considering they were in the Premiership then too.

I'd love to know how that was better than now.

We're not talking about a business though, we are talking specifically about a football club. One in particular that became a company by the process of incorporation, ie the club and company became the same entity in law. That entity is now in the process of being liquidated.

You do realise none this makes a blind bit of difference?

To Rangers fans, it's the same club no matter what anyone else says.

To some others it's just a reason for banter.

And then to the obsessed it's some sort of injustice that has taken over their life.

In the long run nothing anyone says can change the "fact" that it's the same club in the only people's eyes that matter.

:ok:

You do realise none this makes a blind bit of difference?

To Rangers fans, it's the same club no matter what anyone else says.

To some others it's just a reason for banter.

And then to the obsessed it's some sort of injustice that has taken over their life.

In the long run nothing anyone says can change the "fact" that it's the same club in the only people's eyes that matter.

:ok:

I have no problem with that, I'd be the same if it was my club, even if legally it's incorrect.

If someone can tell me what mechanism of Scots law is used to strip intangible assets from tangible ones during the liquidation process, I’d be grateful.

For example that last one I was involved in was (ironically a chain of restaurants, as above) I wasn’t aware how we could remove the history, patronage, etc. (the intangible stuff) from the tangible asset.

I should say I’ve not practiced insolvency law for a few years now- but would be interested to know given the 'expertise' here.

If someone can tell me what mechanism of Scots law is used to strip intangible assets from tangible ones during the liquidation process, Id be grateful.

For example that last one I was involved in was (ironically a chain of restaurants, as above) I wasnt aware how we could remove the history, patronage, etc. (the intangible stuff) from the tangible asset.

I should say Ive not practiced insolvency law for a few years now- but would be interested to know given the 'expertise' here.

I don't think we're talking sending bailiffs round to take the flags off the wall.

More a football authority thing than a legal thing.

If someone can tell me what mechanism of Scots law is used to strip intangible assets from tangible ones during the liquidation process, I’d be grateful.

For example that last one I was involved in was (ironically a chain of restaurants, as above) I wasn’t aware how we could remove the history, patronage, etc. (the intangible stuff) from the tangible asset.

I should say I’ve not practiced insolvency law for a few years now- but would be interested to know given the 'expertise' here.

The brand is an intangible asset that might should be worth something.

So in essence, how the EBTs were administered.

Yeah.

As I understand it, the contracts of the players had to be lodged with the SFA to register them. The side letters were part of "the deal", but was understandably not included, so the registration was (mildly) fraudulent.

(I'm not really sure why the contracts have to be sent to the SFA? But they did and Rangers only sent in half the story, it would make sense that despite being confident the EBT was ok, they werent going to shout about it from the rooftops)

I don't think we're talking sending bailiffs round to take the flags off the wall.

More a football authority thing than a legal thing.

Yeah your probably right. Think the legal thing is pretty clear.

Not that it makes much difference in terms of pub arguments anyway !!

this is true. But Charlie Greens lawyer, Brown, had an interesting view of it. unsurprisingly none of the mainstream papers printed any of this :

Brown responded that this changed when Rangers incorporated in 1899. Brown continued: Sevco Scotland did not buy the club they bought the business and assets of the club.There is a difference between the company and the business assets, but not between a club and a company. A club is an undertaking of its owners. As it has neither capacity of personality, no-one can be CEO of a club. The idea that someone can be CEO of an undertaking is just nonsense.

Brown continued: I realize that Rangers being the same club is a matter of life and death to some, but it wouldnt be a proper legal case without the elephant in the room getting mentioned.The team are paid by Sevco, play at a ground owned by Sevco, trained by a manager who is employed by Sevco, fans buy tickets from Sevco. Rangers was a basket of assets that could be sold, but these were not indivisible.The players went one way and the ground another, where is the club then?

I think you may be reading these submissions out of context.

The barrister is is applying the definition of a club as in an association, which it ceased to be in 1899. That is undisputed. The word club is confusing here.

If rangers football club wasn't the business that was bought, I would be curious as to what business was actually bought. It seems no one can offer an alternative.

By that barristers submission, it means no football clubs in Scotland exist. Any club in Scotland could do what he is suggesting without an insolvency existing, eg sell its stadium to a new entity, sell its training ground, sell its players, etc. does a change in ownership amount to a change in club? Obviously not in my view.

Yeah.

As I understand it, the contracts of the players had to be lodged with the SFA to register them. The side letters were part of "the deal", but was understandably not included, so the registration was (mildly) fraudulent.

(I'm not really sure why the contracts have to be sent to the SFA? But they did and Rangers only sent in half the story, it would make sense that despite being confident the EBT was ok, they werent going to shout about it from the rooftops)

And Rangers were already fined for this. Albeit the fine is unpaid and being argued over just now.

No it hasn't. If the restaurant has become the company, how are people able to buy and sell businesses?

I try not to get involved in this any more but I thought the post he made was a pretty good analogy. The incorporated company wasn't sold, it was broken up and its assets sold. As he said, if the restaurant was sold to another company it would keep the tables, kitchen etc, but it would surely lose the Michelin stars.

And Rangers were already fined for this. Albeit the fine is unpaid and being argued over just now.

Yeah, so it has been dealt with.

I'm not saying titles should have been stripped, merely that it would be on those grounds.

You could also argue that the successful HMRC appeal moves the goalposts slightly on this matter?

I think you may be reading these submissions out of context.

The barrister is is applying the definition of a club as in an association, which it ceased to be in 1899. That is undisputed. The word club is confusing here.

If rangers football club wasn't the business that was bought, I would be curious as to what business was actually bought. It seems no one can offer an alternative.

By that barristers submission, it means no football clubs in Scotland exist. Any club in Scotland could do what he is suggesting without an insolvency existing, eg sell its stadium to a new entity, sell its training ground, sell its players, etc. does a change in ownership amount to a change in club? Obviously not in my view.

No, he's quite clear. The assets of the business (incorporating the club) were sold. The business itself - which is the same thing as the club - is currently being liquidated. This wouldn't even be a question in any other area of business.

However, if I were a Rangers supporter, I don't think that would bother me much. Same ground, same supporters = same entity in my mind.

Edited by adamntg