Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 143 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

to put it into context if a hotel was losing money due to paying its staff inflated wages, but then turned around and said but we are full most weeks we should be allowed to pay our staff rediculous money, the owner / manager would be laughed out of town.

Aye but if it turned out that the owner had a mate that provided the bed linen and that he was paying him £200 per pillowcase instead of £2 then people would quite clearly agree that the staff wages weren't the problem but it was the crooked owner lining his mates pockets.

What about the pre season trips and the costs attached to those.

Berwick head to Blyth for a Saturday game or Bonnyrigg and Sevco head where...?

Pre season trips are sponsored with little or no outlay by the club. I know for a fact that the vast majority of the recent one to the States was all payed for.

And again in terms of wages as a % of turnover Rangers are better positioned than most clubs in Scotland most of the money hasn't left Ibrox in the pockets of players.

wages to turnover % is only 1 KPI

you need to look at all the KPI's/ratio's to determine what was affortable.

other clubs might have models where they are selling players, or the volume/value - makes the comparison of KPI not reasonable

either way it should have been lower, and used as a buffer for all the other costs which have been consumed

Guest BlueGaz

agreed larky - no argument there. however they should not have been paying the wages they were paying as the business could not afford it. it was losing too much money elsewhere and should have drastically cut the wages bill.

No it shouldnt. It should have drastically cut the bonus structure. The business could more than afford the wages. Losing money elsewhere needed to be addressed, mainly stupid bonuses, not the wages.

For the 12 months ending 30 June 2014 RFC had Staff Costs running 118% of Gate Receipts & Hospitality. So basically spunking all the season ticket and other ticket sales on players plus another 18% on top.

Leaving mostly the 'retail' turnover to pay for all their other enormous bills (most of which are contractual and therefore entirely predictable). Not very fiscally responsible management effectively setting the company on a perpetual path to insolvency or needing more capital injections and / or loans to stave it off.

But of course RFC do not make hardly any profit on Retail any more making it 'empty turnover'. So that just leaves another 6m in Other Revenues to pay for everything else outside of Staff Costs (and Mike Ashleys clawback) . I reckon that that amounted to just over 13m quid in bills to be paid for using 6m in Revenue.

Now of course with a collapse in Revenue looming they will be running to Mike Ashley for emergency loans until he has them so sewn up Houdini could not get out of it.

Unless the EGM can 'save' them....

Aye but if it turned out that the owner had a mate that provided the bed linen and that he was paying him £200 per pillowcase instead of £2 then people would quite clearly agree that the staff wages weren't the problem but it was the crooked owner lining his mates pockets.

could you give high level more detail ?

You meaning directors fee's etc ? Sitting in South Africa last 4 years, so thinking i missed some of the detail you are discussing

They could have got much better value but given the wages to turnover ratio they haven't overspent.

Bull.

If I had £5million in the bank, I could easily buy a Mars bar for £10.

I'd have overspent though

If the Rangers somehow get promoted this season, the same thinking will soon kick in again.

Let's pay over the odds for whoever we can get to challenge Celtic right away.

I doubt you'll hear too many bears complaining about not doing things the right way if Dave King cracks open the warchest.

I don't think so.

No it shouldnt. It should have drastically cut the bonus structure. The business could more than afford the wages. Losing money elsewhere needed to be addressed, mainly stupid bonuses, not the wages.

Rubbish, at the rate they were losing money everything should have been slashed wages inlcuded.