Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 253 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I had to google a few.

Buffel really played that many games?! :blink:

Buffel was actually a very good player who just was too lightweight for the Scottish game.

Of all the possible names to pick on though, why him?

There's some real roasters on that list (Libor Sionko? )

Buffel was actually a very good player who just was too lightweight for the Scottish game.

No Gabriel Amato, which is strange, obviously didnt have a good agent.

More Thomson

And what of football? We now have a situation where three Law Lords have ruled that the club were tax cheats during one of their most successful periods on the pitch. We know the reason why they did it was that it meant Rangers could afford players it otherwise could not afford. This is not contested.

How does this sit with Lord Nimmo Smith’s judgement that cheating on tax in this way conferred ‘ no sporting advantage’ to the club on the pitch?

Some will now argue that cheating on your tax to be able to afford better players in your team is about nothing but conferring sporting advantage and many others would see matters in that light.

Whether the Scottish football authorities – the SPFL in particular – choose to revisit this question, in the light of today’s court decision, is not yet clear. I await their call back to me. Many fans are already revisiting it of course.

http://blogs.channel4.com/alex-thomsons-view/rangers-court-decision/10052

Why would RFC 1899 use EBTs if they did not confer some advantage? It is pretty obvious really. They did give RFC an advantage on the pitch. I can forsee a few titles being voided as this is not going to go away now. Unless you win an appeal but why would you? It was blatant tax evasion!.

More Thomson

And what of football? We now have a situation where three Law Lords have ruled that the club were tax cheats during one of their most successful periods on the pitch. We know the reason why they did it was that it meant Rangers could afford players it otherwise could not afford. This is not contested.

How does this sit with Lord Nimmo Smith’s judgement that cheating on tax in this way conferred ‘ no sporting advantage’ to the club on the pitch?

Some will now argue that cheating on your tax to be able to afford better players in your team is about nothing but conferring sporting advantage and many others would see matters in that light.

Whether the Scottish football authorities – the SPFL in particular – choose to revisit this question, in the light of today’s court decision, is not yet clear. I await their call back to me. Many fans are already revisiting it of course.

Why would RFC 1899 use EBTs if they did not confer some advantage? It is pretty obvious really. They did give RFC an advantage on the pitch. I can forsee a few titles being voided as this is not going to go away now. Unless you win an appeal but why would you? It was blatant tax evasion!.

keep-calm-and-keep-pressing-f5-3.png

Yeah, but it's still the individuals responsibility to ensure they have paid the correct amount of tax - not the company they "only" collect it - That's the HMRC standpoint.

However, Rangers would be liable for the employers NI on the additional payments (I assume they never paid that)

Yep

If someone has underpaid income tax for instance the individual is responsible for repayment.I know cause the ####ers collared me

The Mols injury in Munich my Kahn set us back that season.

Mols would have been the key to more successful periods in Europe had he not been injured. Due to his style of play the injury effectively ended his career at the top level.

Errr because I don't recall him playing that many games.

Is that ok precious?

Alex Rae was on the Clyde phone in last night & it was priceless stuff. As you can imagine, talk of titles being stripped made no sense to him. His logic included:

Anyone who wanted his medal could try to get it or go to big Dado's house to get his & see what happens.

Helicopter Sunday was won fair & square on the pitch.

Celtic had a right good side as well at the time, you need to remember that

None of the Celtic players would even want the medals anyway

The best laugh of the night was some character urging him (speaking on behalf of every taxpayer) to simply pay his tax.

Funnily enough, he was cut off, but Alex did not see the funny side.

Alex Rae was on the Clyde phone in last night & it was priceless stuff. As you can imagine, talk of titles being stripped made no sense to him. His logic included:

Anyone who wanted his medal could try to get it or go to big Dado's house to get his & see what happens.

The best laugh of the night was some character urging him (speaking on behalf of every taxpayer) to simply pay his tax.

That's correct though.

Look we all know that the titles will stand. Not a hope in hell they will be stripped but at least everyone knows that those titles that are in the deed clubs history are tainted for ever.

He's always came across as a #####. Someone should've phones up and asked why he booted the CSKA player in the melt on purpose

Errr because I don't recall him playing that many games.

Is that ok precious?

Played 80 odd times in 3 seasons, with half of those in the first season. You khunts won the league easily in his first two seasons he was there and he was then out for ages with an injury, which probably explains why you can't mind him.

He was particularly good when we got to the last 16 of the Champions League as I recall. Scored a good goal at Ibrox when we horsed you in Strachan's first Old Firm game too. Ultimately meant bugger all as you won the League by about 80 points or some shite :-))

I think the difference is that footballers are employees on fixed term contracts and should be subject to PAYE, rather than subcontractors who are responsible for their own tax arrangements.

Once you are into the 40% tax bracket you have to a tax return so the players would have been responsible for declaring what they were paid and how much they were taxed on that.

Played 80 odd times in 3 seasons, with half of those in the first season. You khunts won the league easily in his first two seasons he was there and he was then out for ages with an injury, which probably explains why you can't mind him.

He was particularly good when we got to the last 16 of the Champions League as I recall. Scored a good goal at Ibrox when we horsed you in Strachan's first Old Firm game too. Ultimately meant bugger all as you won the League by about 80 points or some shite :-))

I'm just surprised by the 80 odd figure. If you'd asked I have guessed half as many maybe and you're possibly right re the injury clouding that thought.

More Thomson

Surely you mean more ill-informed shite.