Disgusted With The Sfa Over Qatar - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Disgusted With The Sfa Over Qatar

wrighty

FIFA will NOT move the World Cup. Why? A huge admittance of guilt on their behalf, opens a new can of worms about corruption in the bidding process and the bloated one - Blatter must have his way no matter who it winds up.. Mark my words it will go to Qatar. Blatter and FIFA weren't going to budge on this even though the biggest powers in European football were against it so people on here are dreaming if they think FIFA would have capitulated if the SFA had of voiced their opinion.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would take a coordinated boycott from the big football superpowers to change things, and even then it would probably result in a breakaway World Football Association instead of FIFA changing.

You'd be lucky to name more than 2 or 3 that might stick their neck out.

Exactly. And within FIFA there are too many who nations who like the way they are heading giving more tournaments to obscure parts of the world, making more final places available to nations in Africa and the Americas etc etc. In my opinion the most anti-FIFA sentiments are largely here in Europe but that is but a small part of the world despite the fact it is a continent most densely-packed with the strongest footballing nations in the world.

Exactly. And within FIFA there are too many who nations who like the way they are heading giving more tournaments to obscure parts of the world, making more final places available to nations in Africa and the Americas etc etc. In my opinion the most anti-FIFA sentiments are largely here in Europe but that is but a small part of the world despite the fact it is a continent most densely-packed with the strongest footballing nations in the world.

But if most big nations from Europe were joined by only Brazil and Argentina from South America then you would have nothing left worth watching. Then many more countries would be in a rush to join.

Fifas policy of having the finals in places/continents which previously haven't done so

and allowing more finals teams but most/all of the additional from outside Europe,s America, has expanded the global appeal of the game hugely in the last 30 years

on that basis a middle east country and eastern European were a natural next step (with the exception of Australia who should have gotten one of them first)

But if most big nations from Europe were joined by only Brazil and Argentina from South America then you would have nothing left worth watching. Then many more countries would be in a rush to join.

We are nowhere near that mark though - as like I said UEFA nations pretty much stand alone. Brazil aren't going to jump into bed with UEFA nations when they've just had the World Cup. That being the case there is no way on Earth that any protesting from the SFA would make one iota's difference to FIFA on the Qatar matter.

We are nowhere near that mark though - as like I said UEFA nations pretty much stand alone. Brazil aren't going to jump into bed with UEFA nations when they've just had the World Cup. That being the case there is no way on Earth that any protesting from the SFA would make one iota's difference to FIFA on the Qatar matter.

I disagree that there is no point with SFA protesting. As well as all the corruption allegations and human rights issues, an estimated 4000 lives could be lost in slave labour construction by 2022. 4000 ****ing lives because of a footballing decision. 4000 families who depend on what little wages are sent home.

But the huge point is - we are not just condoning this through silence - we are actively encouraging it by working with them in joint football projects.

Parcel of rogues in blazers.

Agree with the original poster - I'm disgusted. I thought we were better than this.

Sorry but I just see this thread as another opportunity to vent ones spleen at the SFA - without justification. I am well nigh certain, in any case, that the SFA joined the FA in voicing their disappointment with FIFA. Now if people want more then fine - let's boycott the World Cup but it won't make an iota of difference until that fat toad Blatter is overthrown at FIFA.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Easy to say but it's a World Cup I wouldn't attend.

It's a shame because Australia could potentially have been a great World Cup

or the states, any of the options that werent Qatar. Can only imagine the mess Russia will be in by the time their WC comes around. gone a but quiet about their tournament actually how on earth are they going to be able to fund it with the huge increase of their defense budget, the value or the rouble and the price of oil. we better qualify for france as i dont fancy either of those world cups or the absolute joke of holding the euros after france in various cities around europe like its a club competition, farce the whole lot !

edit just saw spain/portugal came second for 2018, imagine how amazing that could have been, but instead of going to game's in bilbao, madrid, barcelona, lisbon etc everyone has to go to a soviet backwater.

Edited by LewisEDI

Its absolutely sickening how this is going to play out.

FIFA and their disgusting hierarchy get their way, keep their bribes (many of which will go totally undetected) and their jobs for the boys.

The big European countries; England, Germany, Spain, Italy and France for all their talk (our neighbors especially) fail to do anything of note when the opportunity exists to breakaway from FIFA or make a game changing difference. They themselves then concentrate only on the financial side of this whole sham and take FIFA for millions in compensation, a nice little side earner from this whole thing but making diddly squat difference to FIFA who have so much money they don't know what to do with it. In turn FIFA will simply add these costs onto the broadcasters and advertisers/sponsors or will tell the Arabs they have to pay the compensation for them. Big fecking deal to them with their gazzilionaire oil wealth, they won't even bat an eyelid to dropping more $$$$ to FIFA, whatever it takes.

The whole thing stinks to the rotten core of FIFA. Its as if they just found out its hot in the desert in July!! There should have been a complete re-vote once it was decided that the World Cup could not be held in the summer months there as that was the premise on which it was bid for. Not to do that is completely changing the goalposts and shafting the other bidders. If they want to hold a Christmas World Cup then they have to announce that before the bidding process. For those saying other continenents are inconvenienced that is utter nonsense. 75% of the players at the last World Cup play in Europe and thats only going to increase as it has World Cup to World Cup. The whole thing is a total disgrace.

As an aside it comes as no surprise to read that our own inept arseholes are trying to get their snouts in the Qatari trough. They will all want their freebies in 8 years time should we not be there or they not be working for the SFA by that time. Shysters the lot of them.

I heard on the radio that 7 of the stadiums built for the World will be dismantled like Mechano sets and moved to less fortunate countries after the World Cup.

The SFA might be interested in one of them!

they also said they would be hosting the tournament in summer with some miracle technology to keep the stadiums cool, that as EVERYONE KNEW IT WOULD ended up being a load of shite and so will this be, maybe the seats will get sent somewhere at a push....to an execution square in raqqa,

Will be interesting to see when they plan to have the Confederations Cup in Qatar.

Read that the plan is for Qatar to host the club World Cup, which usually takes place around November/December then for the confed cup to be hosted in "another Asian country"

This is an absolute mess...

FIFA is either corrupt OR inept (and I don't think it's the latter!)

Awarding World Cup's to Qatar and Russia (I foresee corrupt police harassing fans and vast distances) was ridiculous.

It is admirable to think World Cup's could be played in places that have previously been overlooked, but the fact of the matter is some countries are unsuitable, for various reasons; safety; logistics; political circumstances.

The top leagues should unite and just say, 'This is your mess. We are not reorganising our seasons'.

I mean, this filter's right down to the lower leagues too (what with the promotions/relegations).

Think this World Cup re-scheduling is more a storm in a tea cup than anything else, we have 7 years to sort this out.

After 2020 Euros just start to organise fixtures in such a way to slot in a winter shut down for WC, most other European leagues manage one but England/BBC/Sky* seem to be already throwing in the towel quoting festive footballing traditions, sky TV scheduling and 6 week summer holidays as reasons not to do it!! Think the African Cup of Nations have a slightly larger headache for 2023, but even they could explore the likes of Nov instead of Jan in 2023 - positive thinking for once please...

* delete as appropriate

Don't care what months the 2022 World Cup is played, as long as we are there !

Will make it difficult getting home for Christmas if they go ahead with the final on the 23rd December when we go up & lift the trophy. That would be my only slight concern.

Think this World Cup re-scheduling is more a storm in a tea cup than anything else, we have 7 years to sort this out.

After 2020 Euros just start to organise fixtures in such a way to slot in a winter shut down for WC, most other European leagues manage one but England/BBC/Sky* seem to be already throwing in the towel quoting festive footballing traditions, sky TV scheduling and 6 week summer holidays as reasons not to do it!! Think the African Cup of Nations have a slightly larger headache for 2023, but even they could explore the likes of Nov instead of Jan in 2023 - positive thinking for once please...

* delete as appropriate

From Sky's point of view, what do they headline their sports channels with in November / December that year?