Guess Who I Just Met? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Guess Who I Just Met?

I was given a number to call to arrange to pick up my Inter Milan tickets, his name was John. I 'phoned John and he gave me an address in South Lanarkshire so I went on my way home from work today. I chapped the door and John Fallon answered it with 3 tickets with a post it note saying ek_celt on it. My gast was well and truly flabberred, I can tell you.

Did you ask him if he did eventually get his runners up medal for the (in)famous Intercontinental Cup match he played in over in Argentina ?

I've read that that "Sir" Bob Kelly insisted on having a medal for himself and took Fallon's. Celtic only got issued a certain amount of medals and Fallon was the only player who went home without one despite his heroics in goal for Celtic. Disgraceful but not surprising considering it's the Kelly family.

Did you ask him if he did eventually get his runners up medal for the (in)famous Intercontinental Cup match he played in over in Argentina ?

I've read that that "Sir" Bob Kelly insisted on having a medal for himself and took Fallon's. Celtic only got issued a certain amount of medals and Fallon was the only player who went home without one despite his heroics in goal for Celtic. Disgraceful but not surprising considering it's the Kelly family.

Strangely enough I didn't ask him. :D

I was given a number to call to arrange to pick up my Inter Milan tickets, his name was John. I 'phoned John and he gave me an address in South Lanarkshire so I went on my way home from work today. I chapped the door and John Fallon answered it with 3 tickets with a post it note saying ek_celt on it. My gast was well and truly flabberred, I can tell you.

When I was editor of the school magazine (Paul Cooney was my deputy) I interviewed Big John. I remember it fondly.

I also remember when he ran the Central Bar in Blantyre.

I've told this here before, but try stopping me telling it again.

The Central Bar was, in all honesty, a dive. There was a "Bar" and a "Lounge". Both accessed off a common front entrance. Lounge to the right - Bar to the left.

Not that far along the road was a greyhound "flapping track". It was just up from Blantyre Celtic's "Craighead Park" and it was owned by Doonin.

Guys who had dogs would drop in for a quick pint on their way to or from the track. Standards being standards, dogs weren't allowed in the Bar, so they would be sitting (four or five) in the Lounge with their dogs lying under their tables.

The door opens and a local worthy shouts to Fallon "Haw, Big Man. Ah'm ah still barred?"

"Aye", shouts the Big Man.

"Well, fruck you then", said the worthy......

And threw in a live rabbit.

Cue......chaos!!

When I was editor of the school magazine (Paul Cooney was my deputy) I interviewed Big John. I remember it fondly.

I also remember when he ran the Central Bar in Blantyre.

I've told this here before, but try stopping me telling it again.

The Central Bar was, in all honesty, a dive. There was a "Bar" and a "Lounge". Both accessed off a common front entrance. Lounge to the right - Bar to the left.

Not that far along the road was a greyhound "flapping track". It was just up from Blantyre Celtic's "Craighead Park" and it was owned by Doonin.

Guys who had dogs would drop in for a quick pint on their way to or from the track. Standards being standards, dogs weren't allowed in the Bar, so they would be sitting (four or five) in the Lounge with their dogs lying under their tables.

The door opens and a local worthy shouts to Fallon "Haw, Big Man. Ah'm ah still barred?"

"Aye", shouts the Big Man.

"Well, fruck you then", said the worthy......

And threw in a live rabbit.

Cue......chaos!!

:lol:

Based on the thread title it would've made it better if you'd left your opening post at just this for an hour or so. Some of the guesses might have been entertaining

Great story - Blantyre?

Quite funny for those guys, they've been dining out on it for 48 years now.

:lol:

Quite right too may I add, there won't be many european cup winners from the last 20 years that aren't millionaires, these guys are generally ordinary down to Earth folk who achieved something amazing.