Series Worth Watching - Page 102 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

3 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Not sure what you decided but I'm watching the second series and enjoying it more than the first. Couple of little twists that have kept it interesting. Agree that it will probably fall away if there's a third or fourth series. I'm sure it's not everybody's cup of tea but if you enjoyed the first one I'd recommend watching the second one too.

Watched a few things during and after Christmas. The best by far was Slow Horses which I thought was excellent, Gary Oldman is superb in it. Don't think I've seen it mentioned on here but it's definitely worth watching.

I have watched the second series and now up to date as I always need to watch the start of the next episode to find out who has been murdered and then end up watching the whole episode šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

I think I still prefer the first series but only because I generally warmed a bit more to the participants in that one than in this current series.Ā 
I agree the twists in this series have been good. The episode of the ā€˜funeralā€™ was brilliant. I actually laughed out loud it was so OTT. I Ā think the concept is pretty good at showing how human nature brings out the best/worst ( mainly worst) in people when they are in competition with each other , though its ultimately just a fun TV show .Ā 

Just looked up Slow Horses and its Apple TV šŸ™ I donā€™t have that so cant get that show, or Ted Lasso. I will maybe sign up when I have finished Ray Donovan and can bin Paramount. Still watching RD , on the second last series. Still enjoying it but think I know why you felt you didnā€™t enjoy the last couple of series as much.Ā 

At least RD is still good , unlike the Crown which has become so outrageously bad it is almost laughable. But this is the last series and I feel compelled to see it through to the end, like a good wee loyal subject šŸ˜†

Ā 

Ā 

on my watch list when I'm on the baby feeding shift

Ā 

1. Masters of the air. Genuinely buzzing for the this. Band of brothers and the Pacific are two of my favourite series. The reviews of masters of the air today are very good

2. We own this city

3. The last of us

4. Monarch legacy of monsters

5. The winter King

6. All the light we cannot see

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Ā 

2. We own this city

Ā 

I had high hopes for this as I absolutely love The Wire but I just couldn't get in to it.Ā  It jumps back and forth across 2 different time lines and I struggled to keep up with which was which at times.Ā  Only 6 episodes I think and we didn't get to the end of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Mayor of Kingstown is not new but good. Not to be confused with Mare of Easttown which is a completely different show ( but also good) .

Itā€™s quite violent in parts but Is definitely worth watching IMO.Ā 

Two episodes into Masters of the air, not sure about it yet. Seems to be much more 'the yanks won the war on their own, yank air force good, British air force Bad' when compared to Band of Brothers and The Pacific

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Two episodes into Masters of the air, not sure about it yet. Seems to be much more 'the yanks won the war on their own, yank air force good, British air force Bad' when compared to Band of Brothers and The Pacific

Watched Band of Brothers again recently - a bit prone to watching the favourite classics over and over instead of new stuff! It doesn't lose any impact with repeat viewings does it; especially the episodes in Bastogne and the discovery of the camp. Haven't seen The Pacific but have it somewhere (still in the wrapper).Ā 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:51 PM, Malcolm said:

Good programme on the miners strike on C4

Incredible to think (nowadays) that you could picket other places of work that voted against the strike, time doesnā€™t do Scargill any favours he comes across as someone who was more interested in bringing down the government than about the rights of his members. Brings back childhood memories of hurling abuse at the police as they headed out to Bilston Glen while on my way to schoolĀ 

26 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Incredible to think (nowadays) that you could picket other places of work that voted against the strike, time doesnā€™t do Scargill any favours he comes across as someone who was more interested in bringing down the government than about the rights of his members. Brings back childhood memories of hurling abuse at the police as they headed out to Bilston Glen while on my way to schoolĀ 

yeah, terrible abuse given to the families of those who decided to work.

42 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Scargillā€™s uber militancy divided opinions , I personally think he was stubborn and arrogant Ā . However, anyone who attempted to bring down the she devil that was Margaret Thatcher , cant be all bad.Ā 

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Aye, there's a lot of that. Typical from the yanks really.

They make a big deal of the USAF flying daytime missions, while the cowardly RAF only flew bombing missions at night.

They ignore that over the course of the war casualty rates ran at 40% for the RAF, while it was 10% for the USAF. This was for a few reasons, but mainly because the RAF bombers flew without fighter cover, which the American bombers had. Also the poor design of the Lancaster made it almost impossible for the crew to bail out when shot down.

It's also worth remembering that (bizarrely) more US airmen died in training accidents back home in the US than died in combat.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Scargillā€™s uber militancy divided opinions , I personally think he was stubborn and arrogant Ā . However, anyone who attempted to bring down the she devil that was Margaret Thatcher , cant be all bad.Ā 

Agree with most of that but he appears to have treated his members as nothing more than pawns, no national ballot was scandalousĀ 

9 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Agree with most of that but he appears to have treated his members as nothing more than pawns, no national ballot was scandalousĀ 

I think it got to the point that Thatcher and him were as bad as each other, neither side wanting to lose face and not caring about the people being caught in the crossfire.

He was never going to win and should have been focused on getting the best deal for his members . I never liked him much despite my sympathy for the industry.

However, no one should ever forget why the situation arose in the first place. She destroyed communities and livelihoods with absolutely no interest in where these people would end up. Utter cretin of a human being.Ā 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I think it got to the point that Thatcher and him were as bad as each other, neither side wanting to lose face and not caring about the people being caught in the crossfire.

He was never going to win and should have been focused on getting the best deal for his members . I never liked him much despite my sympathy for the industry.

However, no one should ever forget why the situation arose in the first place. She destroyed communities and livelihoods with absolutely no interest in where these people would end up. Utter cretin of a human being.Ā 

Still the Enemy Within is a good documentary too on the same subject.

11 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

Still the Enemy Within is a good documentary too on the same subject.

šŸ‘ thanks, I will watch that. I looked it up and read this in an article . The BBC showering themselves in glory yet again .

IMG_9348.thumb.jpeg.cd0c48c8e91bb4627f72fa268eb84e01.jpegIMG_9349.thumb.jpeg.d58aa5d03b6a6a761777d278f52016e4.jpegIMG_9351.thumb.jpeg.2e4958579e17b402fb28ac558fe64fed.jpeg

Ā 

50 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

šŸ‘ thanks, I will watch that. I looked it up and read this in an article . The BBC showering themselves in glory yet again .

Ā 

Ā 

It is quite disturbing, the twisting of events, a real eye opener. Think it came out in 2014 and went to Stirling Uni cinema to see it - so a key time to get more riled at the BBC! Realising too how oblivious I was as a kid watching this on the news. I remember wondering if Scargill was a decent guy or not and I'm still not really any the wiser.Ā 

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

There was no "best deal" for him to get. Scargill knew what was happening. Thatcher just kept on lying, saying that there was no plan to shut down the mining industry, when there clearly was. Scargill knew that, but as usual, the media portrayed it otherwise. The only way the miners were going to have a chance ofĀ  keeping their jobs long term, was to bring down the Tory government. The only way the mining industry could possibly survive was to get a mining friendly Labour government back into power. If that Labour government had been led by a Tony B Liar of a Sir Kier type person, then their fate wouldn't have been any better, as they are both more extreme than Thatcher. It was win or bust for the miners and they knew that. Even if they had won, it probably would have eventually gone the same way for them anyway, but they were prepared to go down fighting.

Scargill was proved right. By 1990 there was effectively no coal mining industry left in the UK.Ā 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

There was no "best deal" for him to get. Scargill knew what was happening. Thatcher just kept on lying, saying that there was no plan to shut down the mining industry, when there clearly was. Scargill knew that, but as usual, the media portrayed it otherwise. The only way the miners were going to have a chance ofĀ  keeping their jobs long term, was to bring down the Tory government. The only way the mining industry could possibly survive was to get a mining friendly Labour government back into power. If that Labour government had been led by a Tony B Liar of a Sir Kier type person, then their fate wouldn't have been any better, as they are both more extreme than Thatcher. It was win or bust for the miners and they knew that. Even if they had won, it probably would have eventually gone the same way for them anyway, but they were prepared to go down fighting.

Scargill was proved right. By 1990 there was effectively no coal mining industry left in the UK.Ā 

By ā€˜best dealā€™ I meant play it to keep the public onside. Unfortunately he lost the plot and ended up ostracising people who were otherwise very sympathetic. Most areas of the UK hated Thatcher . I realise the media did their best to twist things as per usual but I think Scargill Ā could have been smarter. The government had all the money and the power.
As you say it would probably have gone the same way anyway. If so there is very good chance Thatcher would have been brought down too for her part in it.Ā 
I donā€™t disagree at all with the miners actions, they were fighting for their livelihoods, but I think Scargill inflamed the situation and I am not entirely convinced it was always for the well being of his members. Just my opinion.Ā 

Black Snow. Australian 6-parter that was on BBC Four last year. I finally got round to watching it having recorded it when it was on. Engaging cold-case murder mystery. Well acted. Really enjoyed it. I don't know if it would still be on iplayer for anyone interested but Google did suggest it is on Amazon Prime.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

IMG_9348.thumb.jpeg.cd0c48c8e91bb4627f72fa268eb84e01.jpegIMG_9349.thumb.jpeg.d58aa5d03b6a6a761777d278f52016e4.jpegIMG_9351.thumb.jpeg.2e4958579e17b402fb28ac558fe64fed.jpeg

Ā 

The army were also dressed as police at Orgreave, highly illegal and this wasn't covered by the program.

Thatcher was win at all costs, no matter what.

Then Hillsborough was covered up to protect her bully boys.

Jack Reacher is a decent watch, if a bit formulaic.Ā  Easy enough to switch the brain off and watch and they've at least nailed the casting this time.Ā  Jack Ryan is also pretty good too.

The second season of Vigil however is utter bilge.Ā  Poorly written, casted, acted and shot.Ā  Looked cheap with a ridiculous storyline but the biggest crime of the whole thing was Rose Leslie's Scottish accent.Ā  And she's Scottish!

53 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Im two episodes into Ted. Quite funny so far

I really enjoyed it. Totally juvenile humour but funny with it. A couple of episodes are a bit too long but thatā€™s a minor niggle.Ā