Wetherspoons Not Showing Auld Firm Game - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wetherspoons Not Showing Auld Firm Game

I personally would rather we did not have this game coming up. Its a distraction from what really matters for the club. In fact that weekend Hibs and Hearts will be playing league matches so the pressure will be ramped up. I could have a chance of ticket but I wont take it.

I too wish that this fixture never came about.

The fallout won't justify the game.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I owned a pub in Glasgow that day I wouldn't let either set of fans in never mind show it on the telly. Will be utter carnage that day and not worth the potential hassle. Good move by Wetherspoon's in my opinion.

Ditto. It's embarrassing enough it being on tv without having to deal with their "fans".

article says wetherspoons have 9 pubs in Glasgow - the only one i can think of with the big screens in the crystal palace.

I've only been in it the once but I think the one below Queen St station, Camperdown Place or something like that, has tellies.

They must have more than 9 though as I can think of 6 in the City Centre alone. 2 on Queen St, 1 on Sauchiehall St, 1 opposite the Raddison on Argyle St, 1 on Bothwell St and 1 on West George St.

BBC already starting their pish about it. Highlights of Hibs game on their site finishes with a dramatic celtic and rangers crests appearing. GTF!

I got offered a corporate for the game from one of our customers, the email out was all about "how could you refuse", what we have all been waiting for". Took great delight in saying, thanks, but no thanks.

It is a shame that pubs will be open at all.

The fact is the city, in fact not just the city of Glasgow, will be bedlam.

I too was offered a ticket as a birthday 'treat'.

I personally couldn't think of anywhere as bad as Hampden to be on that day.

What a sad, sad reflection of the 2 clubs.

It is a shame that pubs will be open at all.

The fact is the city, in fact not just the city of Glasgow, will be bedlam.

I too was offered a ticket as a birthday 'treat'.

I personally couldn't think of anywhere as bad as Hampden to be on that day.

What a sad, sad reflection of the 2 clubs.

I don't think Hampden will be that bad, it'll be the suburbs where it all kicks off.

Compared to the rest of the Shawlands Arcade it's the promised land....

Aye, Shawlands Arcade is grim! Although the record shop (Salvation Sounds?) and the bargain bookshop were good for a browse - actually bought quite a bit of stuff from Salvation as it was a left-field store (supporting local business and all that - now sadly long gone).

Aye, Shawlands Arcade is grim! Although the record shop (Salvation Sounds?) and the bargain bookshop were good for a browse - actually bought quite a bit of stuff from Salvation as it was a left-field store (supporting local business and all that - now sadly long gone).

You and I must have been contemporaries Charlie as I did the same. The guy who ran it had a great Americana section and I was always picking up obscure CDs and albums.

I've only been in it the once but I think the one below Queen St station, Camperdown Place or something like that, has tellies.

They must have more than 9 though as I can think of 6 in the City Centre alone. 2 on Queen St, 1 on Sauchiehall St, 1 opposite the Raddison on Argyle St, 1 on Bothwell St and 1 on West George St.

Aye I'm pretty sure the Camperdown has TVs and when it was Europa had a big screen, Duno if that still exists though.

Really?

The atmosphere alone will be filled with poison and that I am afraid is enough for me to say no to a ticket.

Oh aye that will be horrible and I never even considered going but in terms of the "trouble" I reckon that will be away from the stadium and game itself.

There's no way I'd come anywhere near the city centre for this.

It was only a few months ago the No voting bears were smashing up Glasgow. It won't take much goading from the Celtic fans for this to kick off big time.

If we end up 2/3 up after about 20 minutes, it truly could be a Shame Game on & off the park.

The whole thing is just bad news & it's been great to avoid it all for the last while.

There's no way I'd come anywhere near the city centre for this.

It was only a few months ago the No voting bears were smashing up Glasgow. It won't take much goading from the Celtic fans for this to kick off big time.

If we end up 2/3 up after about 20 minutes, it truly could be a Shame Game on & off the park.

The whole thing is just bad news & it's been great to avoid it all for the last while.

Let's not kid ourselves either way the result goes it'll be murder.

Do wetherspoons generally show football?

Anytime I've been in one its had music videos or sky news on.

Not a place I'd think to go to watch football.

As others have said, the trouble at old firm games in and around the ground generally isn't that bad. The problem lies in pubs, clubs and homes across the rest of scotland where "old firm day" = find a pub you can get in early, drink all day....

The folk I know (or know of) who get most excited about old firm games are a handful of genuine fans who go to the games, and neds who couldnt tell you who their team played last week or who they play next, but have turned "old firm day" into an excuse for a bender.

Edited by sbcmfc

will this game not be unusual that it will be on 'cooncil telly'? Sky have had the monopoly on these games for the last 15 years or so, havent they?

perhaps this will reduce the number of drunken zoomers roaming about after the game cos they'll have been watching it in the house?

or wishful thinking? :blink: